• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 01:03 AM

Just got back from the Cabela's coyote calling competition. There were forty-seven teams in the calling division. It was a 1-day hunt from 5 am to 8 pm. We ended up 4th place with 7 coyotes. Won some nice prizes (if anyone wants to buy a new electronic caller let me know...lol) and quite a bit of cash. The winning team had 10 coyotes. Les Johnson (host of the outdoor channel's "Predator Quest" got 3rd with 9 coyotes. I guess it is nice to know that we can hang with the big dogs. This was probably my last competition for the season, but it was a nice way to end it.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 08:57 AM

way to go :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Woody

Woody

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:01 AM

congrats :boone: :clap:
Posted Image
Woody, and the Queen
Woody's Knives and Leather

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:06 AM

Whip nice work, congrats! :clap: :clap:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 09:54 AM

Nice going there Sean, yeah I wish yote's around here would even try to come into the calling but they just don't.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

Hey Whip! Way to go! Did second place have 9 1/2 coyotes? lol (Do they weigh them or something?)

Seriously 7 is obviously a great day. Word of advice. The thing that really started to sour me on fishing tournaments was when we'd have a great day fishing but not place in the tournament and then be upset about our days fishing. One tourney we caught nine king mackerel in the 8 to 12 lb class. We didn't place because we didn't have any "smokers" in the creel but we caught more and had more action than anyone else in the whole tourney. We had gotten spoiled by placing in the money several tourneys in a row. We were bummed and complaining about how rotten it was for us and then it dawned on me. We caught NINE kings on a relatively short trip. If we hadn't been so into competing that day we'd have felt justified in believing we had an awesome day. I thought this isn't good complaining about a great days fishing. Be careful competing doing something you love. Don't let the competition overshadow a great day. It will spoil it for you. This is harder to do than you think especially after you get a couple wins under your belt.
Posted Image

#7 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 01 February 2009 - 06:49 PM

I agree Leo. Competitions are really not that much fun for me. However, the possibility of winning a few thousand dollars is definitely appealing. I love to go out and hunt in my free time just to relax and be outdoors. In a competition, I really get my game face on and am way too serious about winning. It is kindof a buzzkill when something goes wrong in a competition. I am really not a passionate coyote hunter, it just happens to be something I have a nack for from experience as a government trapper. I prefer big game hunting over anything else, but it is still really awesome seeing coyotes come in to a call.

Second place had 10 coyotes as well....tied with first place. The tie breaker is whatever team checked in the coyotes first. Second tie breaker was # of fox taken. The first place team beat the second place team to checkin by a few minutes.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:58 PM

Whip I have a question for you asking for little help about calling the yotes into the open. There are several types of calls that kinds fall into a category of a yote bark or howl or a hurt prey animal like a cottontail or jack rabbit squalls. When is the best time of the day for hunting them? How do you start out your sequence of calling? I realize setting up on good vantage point and the wind in your face is the utmost importance with staying hidden.

This is for me to start around here hopefully very soon.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#9 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:33 PM

Best times to hunt coyotes (from my experience) are at the crack of dawn, dusk, and at night in the dark. I have luck mid-day, but nothing like in the morning. I would go and be set up about 20 minutes before shooting light and then start my sequence when I can see. I always start out with either an injured jackrabbit call or a howl depending on the time of year. Start out calling softly just in case you have one really close. Blowing the call too loud right off the bat will spook them. Don't be afraid to mix up the calls, try jackrabbit and cottontail calls, birds in distress, fox pup calls, and see what works best in your area. I usually call for about 30 seconds straight on a jackrabbit in distress call, then give it a rest for about 3-5 minutes before calling again. After you have used the injured rabbit call 3-4 times, follow it up with a challenge howl. If a coyote has any doubts about coming to the call, he will be more likely to committ if he thinks another dog has moved into his territory and has a kill. Lots of different calls work. We got two dogs in this tournament using a coyote pups in distress sound on the electronic caller. Electronic callers are a huge asset because you can make numerous sounds at once with the push of a button, but I personally like using mouth calls. I would reccomend three calls that are a must. The Dan Thompson Red Desert Howler, any call that will mimic a jackrabbit, and one that mimics a cottontail (Tweety and Thumper are two calls made by Randy Anderson that I like). For close in work (once the coyote has crossed inside of 150-100 yards), I have a mouse squeeker that tapes to the forend of my rifle or shotgun. It is just a rubber bulb that makes a soft squeek when you squeeze it, this can be done by mouth without a call as well.

Wind is important depending on how close you want them to come. If you are comfortable shooting out to 200 yards and beyond, concentrate on the sun and your camo. I like having the sun at my back so the coyote has to squint when he's coming in. Be sure to be low enough on a hill/ridge that you are not skylined and casting a shadow. Find any natural structure to break up your outline.....it can be a small bush, yucca, or taller grass. I don't worry too much about face masks and gloves unless I want them in my lap, but a dull finish camo tape over shiny objects like stainless steel barrels and scopes will greatly increase your odds of getting them close. Invest in a cushion seat for comfort because you want to limit movement as much as possible....the dog will be looking wherever the call came from and if you are moving around he will normally see you before you see him (this is why electronic callers that you can place 20-30 yards away are great to have). Also, shooting sticks are a must....if I had a nickel for everytime I got busted trying to move my gun getting a steady rest, I would have a few nickels.

Other than that, just have fun. Coyotes are curious by nature and will come to a ton of different sounds and calling styles, so don't be too hung up on whether or not your calling sounds like it does when the pros do it. Late in the season, the dogs are educated and have heard people blowing on calls already. Sounding different will only help your cause. If you need anything else just holler.

Edited by Whip, 03 February 2009 - 02:55 AM.

Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:07 PM

Wow I think Whip's reply should be an article included in the monthly newsletter Jeremiah it so well done and complete, thanks Whip for taking the time to give us all this inside info.

#11 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

:bigthumb: Yep thanks Sean, that just about covers everything.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#12 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

No problem fellas. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Edited by Whip, 03 February 2009 - 12:21 AM.

Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#13 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 05:23 PM

No problem fellas. If you need anything else don't hesitate to ask.

Since you're not using it, can I have your bow? LOL....how did I miss this one?

Awesome detail whipster!

Edited by iamyourhuckleberry, 06 June 2009 - 05:24 PM.

Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#14 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:42 AM

Huck...road trip to nebraska for some dog hunting this winter?

whip....how possible would it be to call for a couple of bow hunters??? would love to take a yote with a bow.

would have the 223 with me as well :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#15 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

Lol, my bow gets used plenty Huck. It was such a nice gift from PSE that I just have to use it. :) We will give them a work out on our musk ox hunt. You guys are welcome to come out and kill a couple dogs...it is tough with archery equipment, but it can be done. My best luck to get them that close and conceal the movement is hunting them at night with spotlights.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users