• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 872 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:30 PM

As some are aware, I have been seeing if all the hype about the Montana X-treme products are just that.. the real deal or hype. I started out kind of unsure how to even use the stuff. I had the Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner and was using it how I thought. And it seems to be really getting the carbon, old powder, and lead out of the barrels. But I was not sure I was doing it right.

So I contacted Don at Western Powder. As always, they are more then ready to help and inform others how to use the products. For that I am thankful that a company would take the time to do that. Thanks Don.

I also got the rest of the Montana X-treme products. The Cowboy Solvent that is supposed to take out carbon, old powder residue, lead, etc.. And some of their gun oil. Besides the bore conditioner.

So I started using it on a number of my rifles. And I wanted to see if they would protect the bore, and make a different to the rifle. Well today I got the shock of my life.

I am almost obsessed when it comes to cleaning my rifles. I never worry that it might take me five or even ten minutes longer to clean a rifle. I want a clean rifle and settle for nothing less. Today I was shooting a traditional rifle of mine. It was a Green Mountain Barrel .58 caliber 1-70 twist. This is a great rifle.

When I swabbed the bore prior to shooting, the patch was nice and clean. I dry swabbed it and then wanted to shoot it to see if this was going to make a difference because I had plans to treat the barrel after the shoot with Montana X-treme products. I did pop two caps through the nipple to make sure the fire channel was clean. Then enjoyed the afternoon on the range.

When I returned to the house, I gave the barrel a water bath which is common when I clean a traditional rifle. The patches on the water bath showed clean. So I then ran some Rusty Duck through it and again, no sign of fowling. Here was the shocker start.

To be fair to the Montana X-treme products I wanted to use them as it was explained to me. So I first poured boiling water through the barrel to remove any traces of Rusty Duck solvent or oil from the rifle. With gloves on, I dry patched the barrel and got clean patches out of it.

I then put a 20 gauge brass brush on a shotgun ramrod. I took the Montana X-treme Cowboy solvent. I dipped the brush into the solvent and while it was dripping with solvent, began to scrub the bore. I gave it twenty strokes. Dipped the brush again and gave it twenty more.

I then took clean patches and saturated them with Cowboy Solvent and then swabbed the bore. The photo you will see shows the progression of patches out of my "clean" (or so I thought) barrel.

Posted Image

With that first patch, my jaw just dropped. This rifle had given me a clean patch and then something like this comes out of it. Remember, it had a hot water bath and some Rusty Duck patches. This is the way I normally clean my traditional rifles. I've been doing it this way for years and never had a problem. But to see patches like this come out of one of MY RIFLES.... so I kept swabbing with Cowboy Solvent and the patches got better and better until finally they were clean.

I then dry patched the barrel free of solvent. I dropped a small flashlight down the bore of this big cannon to check it. WOW!!!! it was spotless. So I took a patch and applied some Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner. I then swabbed the barrel with that. That patch came out clean. But I swabbed the bore with a second patch of Bore Conditioner. I will be checking this barrel in the very near future.

Was I surprised that a product could get something like that out of one of my rifles?? You bet your you know what I was. This was a real eye opener. I am going to be testing another rifle tomorrow the same way. And see if that one also behaves like this.

I have a feeling I have a new bore cleaner and treatment for my rifles..

thanks Don for the eye opener...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

Thanks Cayugad for that report. I used to only clean with the hot water bath and a little oil to preserve. I then began to use a couple of modern rifle solvents after the bath and got more gunk out. I also on occasion use either the CVA bore blaster, Hoppee's Elite foam or wipe out to be sure that there is no lead or plastic residue. I have yet to see the Montana extreme products around here but am certainly going to get some to try myself.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,085 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:08 AM

I'm glad.

Save the hot water for showers and brewing tea. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

Posted Image

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:30 AM

This entire Montana X-treme products thing got started kind of by accident. A person on line was using it and mentioned it made their rifle bore smooth as glass. So I was placing an order in Midway USA and figured.. why not.

After I got the products, I was not really sure how to even use them. So I like to go to the horse when I want to ride. I got hold of the head honcho at Western Powder and began to ask him lots of questions. Don and I became pretty good email friends you might say. So I told him I was going to try his stuff and see if it was any good.

He then mailed me some rifle barrel chunks and challenged me to a test. He said to clean them parts off with brake cleaner. Keep one as your standard, and then coat the other with Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner, and the other chunks with a favorite oil. Put them in a plastic dish with a lid, and put some water in there to make every thing rust. Well I have done this, but I can not get that Montana X-treme thing to rust.

He then told me to really make a rifle clean, to take their cowboy solvent and bore brush your barrel. I think this is the solvent those cowboys shooters use to keep their revolvers in top shape, but I will not swear to it. Kind of a strange name otherwise.

Anyway, I took my Genesis which was very new, and did the bore treatment and then the solvent. I actually got some fouling out of it. I asked Don what he thought that was and he guessed it was carbon left over in the pores of the metal. That the other cleaners missed. So I have that rifle all set up.

Then yesterday shooting my .58 caliber I water bath cleaned it and the patches were clean. I Rusty Duck solvent swabbed the bore and again, no fouling. Then I gave it that brush and solvent treatment with the Montana products. You should have seen me when my first patch came out with a solvent patch like it did. I was shocked.

So I am still learning, but also learning that maybe I was not getting my cleaning as good as I thought.. I will keep with this and then make a final conclusion, but I like what I see.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,660 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:44 PM

Cayugad are these products designed for black powder or are they universal in their application.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

The are for center fire shooters, black powder shooters, cowboy action shooters.. pretty much universal. I got into it because another person was testing the Bore Conditioner and was bragging about what a good job it did. So I bought some and have kind of expanded my testing from there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users