• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

I finally got around to taking a pic of my all tricked out turkey gun. It is a Win 1300 Black Shadow. I replaced the butt stock with an ATI pistol grip stock and although I still have the open sights on it Eric gave me a red dot scope so it now sits on there too. The choke is a comp-n-choke with a .655 restriction. I use 3 in Win #6 shot. Man just taking a pic got me all fired up to get out there is it April yet?

Posted Image

Oh and it has been changed to a left hand safety so is usable to those of us in our right minds.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

Looks like you're going tactical on those birds. :lol: Jason's been wanting a pistol grip on his Mossberg.

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:19 AM

Tell Jason to look into the Advanced Technologies stocks. They are very easy to replace and I really like the fit and feel of them. I bought mine (and Erics) at Cabelas for under $40.00. My reason for going to the pistol grip is that with the standard grip and a long hold I would get a lot of wrist pain. The pistol grip claims to lessen felt recoil also. Yea I like that tactical look also, reminds me of the old days.

#4 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:50 PM

What is on the barrel Paul? Is it just camo tape?
-Eric

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 07:46 PM

Yes Eric that is camo tape. I got the tape as a gift exchange a couple of years ago. I did have the receiver covered too but it was looking ragged and I had to take it off to get the red dot base on.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:25 PM

Not sure who makes it but Jason wants the one that is camo with the shell holder built on the side.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

The ones with shell holders are nice but then you are limited to shooting from one side only. That is usually no problem with a turkey gun but with a rifle I have shot a fair number of deer from the other side which for me is the right side. I remember once shooting racoons and foxes at night with my son-in-law and his had a shell holder band on the stock. Man that was rough on the cheek. Oh he was a law enforcement officer for the USFWS on Assategue Island in VA at the time and the piping plover nested there and the coons and foxes preyed on the nests so we shot them to save the endangered plovers. Had a ball that night.

#8 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:54 AM

Looks great Paul and I know you love to put it to good use. I'm happy with my Ulti-Mag but that Mossberg kicks the bejeepers outta me with 3 1/2" mags.....good thing most turkeys are a 1 shot encounter!
Posted Image

#9 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:40 AM

Very nice shotgun Paul :thumbsup:
-Eric

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:41 AM

My 1300 although a 3 in chamber lets me know it is there too. I have always said that 1300 carries like a fly but kicks like a mule. I have shot some fair size magnum rifles (300 Rem Ulti Mag and 338 Win Mag and others) and a 3 or 3 1/2 mag shotgun exceeds those in felt recoil. Sure glad turkey guns don't kick when shooting at turkeys.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

My 1300 although a 3 in chamber lets me know it is there too. I have always said that 1300 carries like a fly but kicks like a mule. I have shot some fair size magnum rifles (300 Rem Ulti Mag and 338 Win Mag and others) and a 3 or 3 1/2 mag shotgun exceeds those in felt recoil. Sure glad turkey guns don't kick when shooting at turkeys.

Me and Jason both have Mossberg 835's 3 1/2" mag 12 gages. The way we describe them is that they kill at both ends! ;) When Jason first bought his, before he bought me one, we went out in the yard to pattern it. Jason shot once, layed the shotgun on the hood of my Jeep, and said enough of that! :lol: Like you said though, I have yet to feel mine go off when shooting at a turkey. :D

#12 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Everytime I think of recoil I think of the time I had my Steven Double 12 gauge out. It had those Remington 3" Nitro #4 in it. And I had two nice big gobblers come in to the decoys. And I had two tags. So being a smart man I put fingers on both triggers thinking I could pull off a double on the birds. Well I hit that first trigger and the recoil set off the second trigger. I was sitting on one of them cheap unsteady three leg stools that keep you out of the wet leaves. When I picked myself off the ground, I had one dead turkey out there, and one making tracks across the picked corn field untouched.

Now I shoot a Knight TK2000 using 100 grains of powder and 3 1/4 ounces of #5 shot. That thing is brutal in the recoil. BUT it will reach out to 45 yards with no problems and hide you at the same time.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

With 100 gr of powder and a 3 + ounce bullet no wonder that thing kicks. I have shot a 54 cal with TC maxi balls and 120 gr of powder and a metal butt pad so I can only imagine what 3 + ounces of bullet would feel like. Double ouch.

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

I use to shoot 120 grains behind a maxi ball in my t/C Hawken. Yep, she would sure kick!

Paul, unless you send me one million dollars, in unmarked bills, I'm telling the turkeys about your secret weapon! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:31 PM

Ok I'll send it right out I have it all in one bill but being cheap change I plumb forgot where I put it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users