• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

Got into some nice ones. We caught our limit. Two of them we right at the limit of limit of legal size. One was a half inch under and one was only a quarter inch under.

Posted Image

Wishing we were in a tournament after this one!
Posted Image

A darn good days catch!!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 06:36 PM

WAY TO GO Leo
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:24 AM

Those fish are looking good Leo, steel bronze color is neat. Nice mess in the cooler too. Oh and I bet they eat real good. Thanks for sharing - that's making me want to get out the tackle and wet a line. ;)
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

Notice the blue on the tips of their tails. They seem to only show that color as distinctly this time of year.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:00 PM

Notice the blue on the tips of their tails. They seem to only show that color as distinctly this time of year.

Yep I sure did. The red part of the tail blends into the blue edge but I wonder if it isn't sex difference being displayed this time of the year.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

Yep I sure did. The red part of the tail blends into the blue edge but I wonder if it isn't sex difference being displayed this time of the year.

Don't think it's a sex difference thing. Every single one we caught had the blue tail. We caught a total of nine (released 3).

It's a heated debate for some folks as to what causes this and there are tons of theories ranging from diet to temperature.

I actually suspect that water clarity is the primary cause. Blue tail syndrome is more prevalent this time of year. Because the water is much clearer during the winter months.
Posted Image

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:42 AM

Sweet catch Leo !
I've never eaten Red's but hear its delicous.
Posted Image

#8 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

Don't think it's a sex difference thing. Every single one we caught had the blue tail. We caught a total of nine (released 3).

It's a heated debate for some folks as to what causes this and there are tons of theories ranging from diet to temperature.

I actually suspect that water clarity is the primary cause. Blue tail syndrome is more prevalent this time of year. Because the water is much clearer during the winter months.

Breeding color morphing display is fairly common in salt water fish and since they have moved into the shallow coastal inlets I was thinking it was a result of late winter breeding cycle. My bad! LOL

I wonder if the fish out in the ocean off the coast are doing the same thing or is it just these inter-coastal fish. Might be the clarity or it might be the influence of fresh water levels in the brackish mix this time of year. Just my .02 and curiosity.

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:38 AM

The water clarity argument scores the most points with me because I've absolutely noticed the same trend with largemouths. In my experience, largemouths that are getting more sunlight definitely appear to have more color.
Posted Image

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

The water clarity argument scores the most points with me because I've absolutely noticed the same trend with largemouths. In my experience, largemouths that are getting more sunlight definitely appear to have more color.

That's a very good point. I totally agree with you with the large mouth that I have caught in muddy water verses super clear water. I've seen the same thing in smallmouth bass too. The color patterns on bass get very distinct and brighter in clear water. Colors changing though could be a communication thing verses camouflage like with the bass. Just my .02. :peace:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 11 February 2009 - 04:29 PM.

#11 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:50 PM

A nice mess of Reds ther Leo. How did you prepare them for eating?

Edited by WayneBizzle, 12 February 2009 - 02:50 PM.

Posted Image

#12 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

A nice mess of Reds ther Leo. How did you prepare them for eating?

I season them with Tony Chachere's and shake them in a bag of flour. Pan fry in olive oil and serve with Lemon Basil Orzo.

They're yummy! IMO, better even than fresh catfish filets.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users