• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

The weather is warm. 37šs so I had to shoot. It was not raining, but was very overcast, you know... those gray skies that look like they could open any minute. It was hard walking through the snow for me. With a healing back and bad knee, I got out to 35 yards and decided that was as far as I was going, before I hurt something.

Posted Image

I had treated this rifle with Montana X-treme bore products. I had scrubbed the bore with their solvent and treated it with a bore conditioner. My fear of course today was, shooting black powder with petroleum based products in the rifle could produce a black tar effect in the bore. So I wiped with a dry patch, then chickened out and took an alcohol patch to the barrel before I started. I then dry patched it. This was the first time since I treated the rifle that I had a chance to shoot it, so I had no idea what I was in store for.

Posted Image

I was shooting home casted .530 roundball. Using homemade moose milk, and cutting patches from bulk pillow tick material. I was loading 110 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f powder. big6x6 got me thinking that he was having better accuracy pushing hard, so I would push mine a little harder.

The first shot kind of surprised me on the clean barrel. Three inches high. The close proximity to the target since this is sighted in at 50 yards could have caused it. I was holding a six o'clock hold on the small white center. I did not think I flinched. So I was wondering if the barrel being spotless clean did this or what. I then shot the next batch of ball at the center dot using the same sight picture. I never swabbed the barrel and loading was very easy. That was five or six shots. I kind of lost count.

Posted Image

I then swabbed the bore clean with spit patches and then some dry patches. I wiped off the frizzen and flint with an alcohol patch. I had bought some sabots on sale from Midsouth. And I wanted to try them as well. They were 250 grain mag XTPs in a orange sabot. They loaded so easy it kind of worried me if I had the right sabots. If these were conicals, I would call them slip fit. I only loaded 100 grains of powder and shot three of them. Not too bad for close range shooting.

Posted Image

I again swabbed the bore clean and loaded 405 grain aero tip powerbelts I had bought on sale at the same time of the sabots. I down loaded the powder on them as I wanted them close to hunting conditions, and I knew they liked that powder charge. Those three did real well also.

I then spent some time shooting a steel can that was out on the snow that I must have forgot to pick up and the melting snow now exposed. After rolling that around with roundball for a while I decided to pack it all in.

In the house I gave the rifle a water bath. Two water patches and it came out clean. I was impressed. I then put a brass brush on the rod, dipped it in cowboy solvent, and gave the barrel twenty strokes. I then used a solvent patch and patched the barrel. What I got was exact black indications of the rifling marks in the barrel. Two solvent patches two dry patches, and then a patch with bore conditioner... I was done. Checked the bore and it shines perfect again.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:26 PM

Cool bud. I'm still partial to the traditional style rifles, even though I bought an Optima Pro. Hey, you take care of that knee and back ya hear? :D

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:56 PM

Well I did not know it at the time, but breaking through the snow getting to my range and target.. :cry: I somewhere along my travels must have gave that knee a twist. As it is swelling up as I sit here. But I got a muscle relaxer in me and a heat pad on the knee. And while I have been chewed out already for walking in the snow (a female friend called to ask how I was tonight)... it was worth it. I'd do it again tomorrow (and probably will :lol: ).

I have a person that wants me to test the Montana X-treme with black powder without swabbing it out. The company says it will not tar the barrel. I was to worried today to test that. Tomorrow that will not be the case.

Another off point.. I never used to swab with spit. BUT the more I use spit to swab with, the more I like it. Spit is a very good swab. Maybe them old mountain men were not so crazy..
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

I looked for that Montana extreme at our Eastern Sports and Outdoors show last weekend. This show is huge but I did not find any there. It may have been there but with about 8 or nine big halls full of booths I could have missed it.

Your Lyman is a real shooter for sure. What rate of twist is the barrel? I am a bit surprised that you got such great results with both round ball and the others. Eric has the Lyman deer stalker flinter in 50 cal which we are going to play with some conicals in it.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 11 February 2009 - 09:21 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 11:14 PM

Well first off.. that's only 35 yards. Those sabots could go all over out as far as 50 or 100 yards. So I do not get too excited about them. The rifle has a 1-48 twist, like the deerstalker. And it has always been a good roundball shooter, but I have noticed not to be powder shy with the rifle. It likes a good strong charge.

When I get a chance to back up some, I want to try at longer distances. Out to 50 yards I am positive with the roundballs I could do about anything in. And that big .54 ball is a real game knocker..

#6 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 06:52 AM

What a good looking rifle! Your trade rifle looks just like my Great Plains except for the brass butt plate. Mine hangs in the living room over a painting of a group of pioneers holding a prayer meeting with their conastoga wagons circled around them.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users