6 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Easton flatliner arrows I was wondering if anybody had any experience with these arrows. The weight is very light and they ought to be at the least 50 grains less than my regular arrows. That would get them down around 350 grains a complete arrow. This should increase the speed close to the IBO ratings less my draw length and poundage.

Have you tried these or know somebody who has? What's your take on these arrows and weight?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:33 PM

I really don't like to go below 400 grns total arrow weight and prefer to stay as close to 450 grns as possible.

As long as I'm getting close to 280 fps with an arrow between 400 and 450 grns, I'm happy. Tuning the lighter faster arrows (>280fps) for predictable flight when tipped with a broadhead can be extremely difficult.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

My current hunting arrows are dead on 350 grains.
But, then again, I'm only shooting ~63 lbs.

(~50 grains over IBO is my generic rule for a hunting arrow.)

It's really up to you. I wouldn't steer you away from the arrow. I've never shot an Easton I didn't like. (Beman, also owned by Easton, is a bit of another story. I wasn't impressed with the I.C.S.) I have no doubt they would do fine in most average set-ups. There are simply a couple facts that you can't cheat to bear in mind.
1) Lighter arrows will shed their speed and potential energy faster down range.
2) Your bow will be louder shooting an arrow 50 grains lighter than what you shoot now.

If you're okay with those things (and still like what you see number-wise with KE and momentum etc. at your expected hunting ranges) then go for it and let us know what you think of them as I have yet to shoot them. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Leo and Jeremiah for the input.

I did think the same things and generally my setup of hunting arrow weight is around 425 to 400 grains(depends if I use a 125 grain head or a 100 grain head). I last check the speed at 280fps. I am thinking 375 to 350 would be worth trying.

I have tried the Easton Axis when they came out and didn't much care for them out past 30 yards. I have the Easton Epics now and they fly great for me in a 400 spine at 28" cut.

I'll let y'all know how they turn out.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#5 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 08:29 PM

I have a dozen on order and will be shooting them with 85 gr. tips at 28" long out of a Elite Archery Aigil set at 60 lbs. with a 29" draw. I'll let ya know how they shoot.
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:12 PM

I have a dozen on order and will be shooting them with 85 gr. tips at 28" long out of a Elite Archery Aigil set at 60 lbs. with a 29" draw. I'll let ya know how they shoot.

What spine did you order Wayne? The 400 spine run 7.4 gpi and that in a 28" shaft is a whoping 207.2 grains with a 85 grain head that's a screaming 292.2 grains arrow. I didn't include the vanes, nock or insert weight but even at that falls in the warp speed bracket below IBO testing weight of 350 grains. Yeah I'm interested in this and what you test out at.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 17 February 2009 - 04:15 PM.

#7 The_Nuge

The_Nuge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Bow hunting.. Tattoos.. beer.. the good stuff!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

Light Arrows!! :thumbsup:
Dont mind me... im just gona PASS THREW!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users