4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

Jason and I have the oportunity to hunt hogs. These will be most likely domestic hogs that have gone feral. There's an area just about 30 minutes from here where we're told is being over run with them. From what we hear the local farmers are doing a good job keeping them off private property and as a result they've taken up residence in Mark Twain National Forest. Missouri wants them gone throughout the whole state. There is no limit and no license needed. They don't care if you kill them with a stick, just as long as you kill them.They ask that anybody seeing one kill it on sight. We are thinking of using our .50 muzzleloaders with handguns, a .45 and a .45L Colt, as backups. We'll be going in blind so I figure scouting will be first priority. Soooo, any tips to make for successful hunts? Such as baiting and what to use? How to find them?

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

If they're there it shouldn't take much to know it. It doesn't take more than a few to make a place look like a mine field if they decide there is something there worth rooting for.

Baiting... I don't know. I've seen them be 50/50 on corn. (Come to it and gobble it up one time and then walk right past it uninterested the next.) I tend to think anything that has a strong odor "works". I'm not just talking about soured grain or raspberry jello mix (popular) either. They'll chow on dead and rotting carcasses like nobodies business. (Do they make rotting flesh in a can smell? Hey, they don't call it a "slop bucket" down on the farm when you feed the pigs for nothing. They eat some nasty stuff and love every bite. LOL)

Some of our southern members ('specially those around Tejas) should be able to fill in more gaps.

Enjoy!

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

You could try hog calling. Sooooeeee pig pig pig. Lol. I have heard too that if they are there you will not have any trouble finding sign just a few can root up a surprising large area. This is why most game commissions want them eliminated as they also eat many of the same things that legal game does plus they root up the ground in a very destructive way.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:14 AM

Yep, they can sure do a lot of damage. I've heard that they will even kill fawns. We're really looking forward to going. Planning on camping out for 3 days and hunting hard. :D
Hey Paul, don't you ever stay home? Been trying to call you bud.

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hey Norm I am always here except when I am not. I was out several times this week which is a little unusual for me but I need a new chain for my saw and have not found my favorite shop open.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users