6 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

I haven't done one before and I'm out looking for land to hunt for next season. I now have to drive several hours to get to the land I have permission to hunt. I am hoping to find some land much closer (less than an hour away) and I might run into a lease situation. I was wondering if you have done a lease and if you have any pointers or comments about them. How much do lay out for the lease? Thanks!

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 16 February 2009 - 02:46 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

Thanks Woodhick!

One hour drive isn't a problem but two hours or more gets to be especially tough for an early morning turkey hunt. Woodhick if you don't mind me asking roughly what does the lease run you guys, ball park, so I can guessimate my going price here. I had some else tell me they paid for Penn. State lease on a farm that was 68 acres anout $500 for the year, just share what I've learned so far.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:09 PM

Rowdy we pay the property tax for the landowner in exchange for the use of the land. Our lease runs July 1st thru June 30th each year. The property is in the state's "Clean & Green" program so no permanent structure can be built. Our lease is deemed woodlands so the taxes are less than tillable property...ie...farmland. God Willing we'll have Casters Camp a long time.......if we'd lose it, then we can relocate to the farm near Erie but that's a 3 1/2 hr drive in good weather. I'd rather not post what we pay as a camp but the individual membership runs $180 per year....not bad for 600 acres of hunting ground.

Edited by Phil, 17 February 2009 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:21 PM

Rowdy we pay the property tax for the landowner in exchange for the use of the land. Our lease runs July 1st thru June 30th each year. The property is in the state's "Clean & Green" program so no permanent structure can be built. Our lease is deemed woodlands so the taxes are less than tillable property...ie...farmland. God Willing we'll have Casters Camp a long time.......if we'd lose it, then we can relocate to the farm near Erie but that's a 3 1/2 hr drive in good weather. I'd rather not post what we pay as a camp but the individual membership runs $180 per year....not bad for 600 acres of hunting ground.

Thanks a ton Phil -- really that's very helpful for me, thanks. I have a better preparation in what to expect in my search close by here. I'm sure the property closer to Columbus is going for a high lease than those farther out.

#5 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:18 PM

Yrs ago in GA hunting leases was 4.00 an acre, probably 40.00 an acre now. Good luck getting a close place. Saves gas.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#6 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 07:35 PM

Hello all-it's been awhile since I've been on H.R. :ermm:
I'm 2 states south of you-we pay $8/up an acre here...once in a while you'll find a real deal though.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

$10 to $12/acre here. If I had to lease here I probably couldn't hunt anywhere else.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users