11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

Jason shoots Thompson Center Shock Wave Sabots out of his Optima 209 .50 with good results. I'm planning on trying them in my Optima Pro. Anyone ever try them and if so how were your results?

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:16 PM

Posted Image

I was shooting my Knight Disc which has a 2-7x32mm Nikon Pro Staff on it. The shooting was done at 50 yards. I was shooting Pyrodex RS Pellets. I started on the center bull shooting two pellets and 200 grain Shockwaves. These are a .40 caliber bullet. That center group is three or four shots. I suspect four as I shot the rest of them off and I thought I had four in the container. The holes are those little white spots. For some reason if I use package tape to hold those one inch dots on, you can not hardly photograph the target.

I was swabbing between shots with a simple spit patch. I then shot for the lower left bull with two pellets and some 250 grain Barnes Expanders. The one in the bull was intentional. I changed my POA to see if I could slip that in. Again, I was using a spit patch between shots.

I also tried three pellet loads with the Barnes Expanders. I was shooting at the lower right bull. It did real well with three pellets.

I then shot some 405 grain Remington Flat Point .458 in orange sabots. I did not swab between shots and was shooting 90 grains of Triple Seven.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:48 AM

Thanks bud. Think I'll like them. Now I'm wondering how they perform on deer?

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

From what I have READ (as I never killed a deer yet with a sabot)... the 200 grain Shockwaves shoot and drop deer just fine. Shot placement is important of course. But from those that shoot them, especially those out west where they get long shots, they claim excellent accuracy, expansion, and wound channels. The 250 grain, you read horror stories about no blood trails, and in and out wounds... I think that is all shot placement. I can not consider a 250 grain bullet going through the heart or lungs of an animal and then not being a mortal wound. Others love the 250 grain from what I have read. They use them on bear, moose, elk, etc.. Again, I think Shot placement is the key.

Good luck shooting them. I will be interested to see how well they shoot in that rifle. They sure shoot good in my Remington also.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 11:54 AM

I have not used the shockwave bullet out of my knight Bighorn. I have tried 185 gr 45 acp bullets, 230 Hornady xtps and the 240 gr xtps, the 250 gr xtps a 260 gr look alike to the xtp and the 300 gr xtp. For accuracy the 185 gr and 230 gr bullets were acceptable. The 240 gr bullets shot better and I did kill a couple of deer with them. The 250 gr accuracy was better yet as was the 260 gr bullet but when I shot the 300 gr xtp there was no looking back. I have killed 5 or 6 deer with the 300 gr bullet and it seems to do a great job. I do not shoot a really heavy powder load and all my shots so far have been less than 75 yds. If I can't get within that range I don't shoot although I get great accuracy at 100 yds at the range.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 08:14 PM

Though my Optima Pro is rated for 150 grains I see no reason to use that much. Particularly since I'm using 777 Pellets. I too believe shot placement is critical no matter what you're shooting.

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:32 PM

I haven't had a chance to see how the Shockwave bullets work on a whitetail, but they group very, very well with my Pro Hunter.

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:20 AM

Confidence in a bullet is so very important. Just like so many other things confidence is 90 % while skill only fills the other 10%.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 10:37 PM

From all the posts I have read on Shockwaves.. if they are pushed too fast at close ranges, they punch through and leave little wound channels. But if the animal is a moderate to very long distance the bullet does real well. Again you have to put it into the major organs, but as we all know, shot placement is still key in this sport.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

From all the posts I have read on Shockwaves.. if they are pushed too fast at close ranges, they punch through and leave little wound channels. But if the animal is a moderate to very long distance the bullet does real well. Again you have to put it into the major organs, but as we all know, shot placement is still key in this sport.

That seems to be the case with about every muzzleloader bullet I've read about. There's a lesson to be learned there I think. Accuracy and bullet choice is only a part of the formula to consider for a good hunting load. Getting the right charge of powder to get the best performance for clean and easy to track kills is something we each need to take into serious consideration. These new bullets, powders and inlines make that more evident than ever before.

#11 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

I put the smack on a few whitetails this year with 250 gr. shockwaves-all of them have been very successful. I hit a couple of BIG axis bucks with them this year too-all of them performed flawlessly, taking these big tuff critters down within 50 yrds of being hit. Got a pass through on one of them. I hope this helps....

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

I put the smack on a few whitetails this year with 250 gr. shockwaves-all of them have been very successful. I hit a couple of BIG axis bucks with them this year too-all of them performed flawlessly, taking these big tuff critters down within 50 yrds of being hit. Got a pass through on one of them. I hope this helps....

Thanks bud! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users