Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

Just copied this from an email from Real Tree;

'Unjust' Law Treats War Veterans As Criminals
Montana Congressman Denny Rehberg, has urged his political colleagues to pass the Veterans’ Firearms Heritage Act he introduced earlier this year. The legislation would rectify a law that treats World War II and the Korean War veterans like criminals for not registering war relic firearms with the federal government.

“Gun control is bad enough, but turning law-abiding veterans into criminals for possessing antique firearms obtained in combat is ridiculous,” said Rehberg, a member of the House Appropriations Committee. “This bill would give veterans and their heirs the opportunity to register these war relics without fear of prosecution under an unjust law.”

During WWII and the Korean War, many veterans acquired war relic firearms, which was a lawful practice at the time. Under current law, if the firearms are not registered with the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record, the veterans or their heirs may be convicted of illegal possession.

The Veterans’ Heritage Firearms Act will provide a limited amnesty for veterans who served overseas between 1934 and 1968. During the amnesty, they will be able to register war relic firearms without fear of prosecution. This amnesty also extends to the veteran’s lawful heirs who inherited these weapons.

“The NRA supports Congressman Rehberg’s Veterans’ Heritage Firearms Act. Brave Americans who placed service to country above self, and who put their lives on the line on foreign shores should never have to fear prosecution for keeping a memento of their service,” said Chris W. Cox with the NRA. “It serves no national interest to prosecute a veteran for having a war relic.”

#2 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

I don't care what war a veteran served in, if they brought back a souvenier, i think they should be able to have them and NOT have to register them... Chances are, they earned those trophies with their own blood they've paid all they need to for them.
Semper Fi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users