11 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

Ok, here's another question. What is the cleanest burning pellets on the market? I know Jim Shockey's Gold is supose to be very clean burning but I just can't get my mind around square pellets in a round barrel. Jason was using Pyrodex but I'll tell you what, shooting 100 grains out of his Optima 209 .50 always left a nasty sluge in the breach. Took 5 times as long to get his barrel clean as compared to my Knight MK-85 .54 using loose 100 grains of FF Pioneer Powder. I could be wrong but I attribute a lot of it to unburned powder. We are now switching to 777 pellets, which seems to burn cleaner, and I feel more completely, than the Pyrodex. But still it leaves a much dirtier breach than the Pioneer Powder Paul gave me. So, what might you guys sugest? Is there a pellet out there that burns cleanly and efficiently? I like the ease and consistant measure of using pellets or I'd go back to burning Pioneer Powder FF. The main problem I had with it was that it was so corse a granual that I didn't feel I was getting consistant accurate measurements plus using pellets eleminates the need for having to use a powder measure. Put two pellets in there and I know I'm shooting the same consistant load each time.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:24 PM

Be sure to remove all traces of oil from the bore before you shoot any powder or you can get a sludge tar build up. Actually the cleanest is APP. And as for the sticks, you get better consistency and accuracy if you crish the sticks with your ramrod before you load the sabot.

Triple Seven is cleaner then Pyrodex RS pellets. Again you still need to swab between shots. I use a somple spit patch when I shoot pellets. Very light amount of spit, swab the bore and no dry patch. At the end of the day, take your rifle apart. Then saturate a patch with a cleaner like Windex, or I use Simple Green. Work a could of them through the rifle from the breech to the muzzle. After two or three of them, push a dry patch or two through and see how it looks.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:10 PM

Thanks bud but I can't help but wonder....since the sticks are square, and I've heard the edges get shaved off as you start them down the barrel, then wouldn't that affect the accuracy of each measured load? Wonder why they just don't make them round?

Edited by Spirithawk, 30 April 2009 - 07:02 AM.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:10 AM

When American Pioneer Powder Company used to be a company called Clean Shot, they did make the pellets round. This infringed on the patient of Hodgdon Powder Co.. for their Pyrodex RS and Triple Seven pellets and Clean Shot got sued into bankruptcy. So Clean Shot restructured and hence American Pioneer Powder was born. They can not make round pellets because of the patient infringements. So they made them square.

When you force them into the barrel, they are supposed to be crushed up anyway. Before you load your sabot, take your ramrod, push it down on top of the sticks and kind of stomp them if you will. Wonder why they just do not use loose powder one might ask. Then you load the pellets.

American Pioneer is a good powder. In some of my rifles I get excellent accuracy. In others I have shot pounds of the stuff off and could not get acceptable groups. The 3f is better then the 2f in loose for. The reason the sticks break up so easy is they large grains of powder are course and to try and compress them together just does not really work sometimes. Its also why they break up so easy with the ramrod.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:30 PM

I was shopping today at Gander Mt and just happened to notice the 777 pellets price was nearly $40 a 50 pack. I know all powders have gone up some but that is almost twice as much as I pay for real black powder by the pound. With 80 grain loads I can get about 85 or so loads from a pound and With the pellets for 80 dollars I would only get 50 shots using a 50 gr and a 30 gr pellet. That would be pretty salty to shoot at the range. Ten or so shots and I would use up my monthly allowance.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#6 old fart

old fart

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:40 PM

I was shopping today at Gander Mt and just happened to notice the 777 pellets price was nearly $40 a 50 pack. I know all powders have gone up some but that is almost twice as much as I pay for real black powder by the pound. With 80 grain loads I can get about 85 or so loads from a pound and With the pellets for 80 dollars I would only get 50 shots using a 50 gr and a 30 gr pellet. That would be pretty salty to shoot at the range. Ten or so shots and I would use up my monthly allowance.

thats crazy prices, my local gun store just got a shipment in. they are $21.95 for 100 pyrodex pellets or $14.95 for 1lb powder, $17.95 for select, the blackhorn 209 powder was $34.95 for 10oz., the 777 pellets were $24.95 for 100. i used 777 last year but that crud ring turned me off, i now shoot pyrodex its not that bad if you make sure your barrel is dry when you shoot, any type of moistness in the barrel will cause sludge to build up worse. a.p.p. even states on there web sight to make sure no lubricant is in the barrel, because it will make problems in veloceties from shot to shot.

#7 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

I agree on the prices but that is what was on the pellets. I do not have a muzzleloader that uses the 209 primer for ignition so I am not tempted to try them. I do have some pyrodex pellets but have not tried them with a musket cap in my inline. I just read in one of my outdoor magazines that black powder and pyrodex are sulfur based powders and for that reason leave a similar residue. 777 and app are not sulfur based powders hence are cleaner. I still have not seen much on the new white pellets and have not seen many posts about them. In a hunting situation I always have quick loads prepared and just pour the powder in from them so there isn't any measuring for me in the field. Infact when I shoot at the range I premeasure up to ten loads and put them in film canisters so have a bunch of measured loads ready to go. Works for me.

Edited by PA RIDGE RUNNER, 20 August 2009 - 08:17 PM.

If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#8 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

I always fire a cap, or a primer, or two before loading. It usualy will burn out any oil residue or dry up any moisture in the barrel. I've found the clean up using 777 Pellets is much faster and easier that with Pyrodex Pellets. With loose powder Pioneer won hands down. It was really easy to clean.

#9 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Another way to have perfect measured powder charges, easy to carry, easy to load, and you can use the powder of your choice.. is to measure out your powder charges into powder tubes. I bought 100 tubes that will hold 120 grains of powder. If you like, break out your powder scale and measure out your charges. Remember though, a measure is by volume, so you have to take that into consideration. Then measure out ten loading tubes, put five in each shirt pocket and your ready to go on a moments notice with perfect measured powder charges. And it will save you a ton of money. I measure out five charges when I hunt, and then carry a loaded rifle. I never ran out of powder yet.

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

I use both Thompson Center and Powerbelt speed loaders for my inline and another speed loader with loose powder and balls for my plains pistol. Speed loaders sure are handy.Posted Image

#11 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I was shopping today at Gander Mt and just happened to notice the 777 pellets price was nearly $40 a 50 pack.

I paid $35 for a pack of Triple 7 pellets at Walmart yesterday. I think I paid $30 for them at Gander Mountain last summer.

Edited by Chrud, 27 August 2009 - 05:39 PM.

#12 sticknstring

sticknstring

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

I have been very happy with the triple 777 loose and pellets in my Thompson. I have really been wanting to try Black horn 209....any of you gentlemen tried it yet? I've heard some good feedback about it but my sources weren't exactly reliable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users