12 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Ok, just for fun, here's a couple trivia questions. In the Old West A) Who was known as the deadliest marksman with a revolver and B ) Who was known as the deadliest gunfighter?
Just to make it interesting, what were their full names? :cowboy2:

Edited by Spirithawk, 19 February 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 07:29 PM

My vote goes for Larry and Huck :o) :o)
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

Mine too! (just ask McBruce!) :bigthumb:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#4 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:58 AM

A...hmmm...Bill Hickok ?
B...John Westley Harding ?

Edited by Phil, 20 February 2009 - 03:58 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

A...hmmm...Bill Hickok ?
B...John Westley Harding ?

You got the right two guys Phil but the full names are;
A... James Butler Hickock

B...John Wesley Hardin

Congrats, your prize? You get to stick your tongue out at Paul and Larry! :P :lol:

Edited by Spirithawk, 20 February 2009 - 09:03 AM.

#6 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:04 PM

Was pretty sure about Wild Bill but there are several names that come to mind as far as deadly gunfighters in the same measure of Hardin.
*my personal thought is that whomever really was the best at both.....probably was confident & smart enough to sit quietly in the shadows and survive !
Posted Image

#7 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

Yep Phil, I agree. I can think of a few that would have given Hardin a run for his money but historians gave him the tag. Mainly because he killed so many. Not that he was good, just trigger happy! where Hicock was concerned, he wins hands down. He did some things with a cap and ball pistol that modern day shooters would be hard pressed to duplicate. I once had a book you'd probably have loved. The Encyclopedia of Gunfighters. It had every single recorded incident involving gun play in the Old West in it. It made for some very interesting reading. (Saddly I loaned it out and never got it back) I'll tell you what, those were some mighty tough men back then. When Cole Younger was captured, after the failed Northfield Raid, he proved that point beyond a doubt. When he finally stood up to surrender to the posse he had 11 fresh serious bullet wounds! AND HE WAS ABLE TO STAND UP! He only surrendered because his brothers were worse off than him!

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 February 2009 - 09:38 AM.

#8 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:36 AM

I honestly don't believe John Wesley Hardin was the best gunfighter ever. I have his autobiography and most of his kills were in a scramble or he had backup with him. After his youth he often killed for no apparent reason....which was more like murder than a true gunfight. He was definitely good, but I would argue not the best.

Hickok was probably the best marksman, I would agree with you there.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:54 PM

I honestly don't believe John Wesley Hardin was the best gunfighter ever. I have his autobiography and most of his kills were in a scramble or he had backup with him. After his youth he often killed for no apparent reason....which was more like murder than a true gunfight. He was definitely good, but I would argue not the best.

Hickok was probably the best marksman, I would agree with you there.

As I said, I don't believe Hardin was either. He just got the reputation. He wasn't the best gunfighter, just the biggest psycopath. Very few gunfights were the ,step out in the street walk downs, like in the movies. Hickock's gunfight with Dave Tutt on the square here in Springfield, Missouri was the exception. It is touted as the first recorded gunfight. Most shootings were from ambush or in the back. Murders were done then just like they are today. Actualy, Wyatt Earp said it best. The makings of a good gunfighter is not how fast a man gets his gun into action. It's how quickly he can do so while remaining steady enough to make his first shot count while he in turn is being shot at! By deadliest I think most meant just who was the most likely to shoot a person.

Edited by Spirithawk, 22 February 2009 - 03:58 PM.

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:27 PM

I still vote for Larry $ in both categories. Just put him close to a bear and he can be like lightning on both the draw and shot. I have not actually seen him in action but his reputation reaches all the way to the east.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

Amazing what adrenaline will do for you.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#12 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

Don't feel bad Larry. I'm that way about snakes! :lol:

#13 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:55 AM

Don't feel bad Larry. I'm that way about snakes! :lol:

try dropping a snake within 20ft of Larry sometime!!!! :cowboy2: :cowboy3: :shock:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users