#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:36 PM

Penns State press release

Interesting changes in the proposal for all our Penns Woods Bruddas!
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:52 PM

Yeah, I saw that a few weeks back. My main problem with it is that my father already had a handicap permit to use one during archery season. His has a magnified scope on it. Does he now have to take that off because the new regulations say no magnification? What about older hunters with failing eyes who got a permit to use one BECAUSE they could put a magnified scope on it?

I do find it ironic that they see a scope as an "unfair advantage not in the spirit of bowhunting", but they have no problem with the fact that the crossbow string is held back for the shooter. Oh well. Gotta love the PA Game Commission.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

:doh: :doh2: Oh boy, lets just not let this diss get out of hand like other forums. I know they have locked the diss, but to me it don't matter what happens as I'm going to be in the woods no matter what.
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:22 PM

What's to argue now? :D

sig_admin.png

#5 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:25 PM

We can come up with something. :stir: :evilgrin: :rofl:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:28 PM

Okay, then what's up with this scope thing?

If anyone thinks I'm about to take that off my dad's bow after setting it all up they're nuts!

:angry:

:lol:

sig_admin.png

#7 The_Nuge

The_Nuge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Bow hunting.. Tattoos.. beer.. the good stuff!

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:04 PM

cross bows in my mind are rifles. you may as well gun hunt. unless your handicapped. leave them out. jmo
Dont mind me... im just gona PASS THREW!

#8 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:17 PM

Nuge a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you completely BUT that was then and it is now. Last year I jumped through all the hoops here in PA and got a handicapped permit as my shoulders just will not allow me to draw and painlessly hold a conventional bow. I had bow hunted and even shot competitivly since the late 1950s. I lived through the archery transformation from conventional to compound but was about one of the last to buy one of those stings and pulleys contraptions. There was a huge hue and cry when the compound came out that it was the ruination of archery hunting.

Now I have a crossbow and take it from one that has shot more than a few arrows down range in my time that crossbow comes with its own built in problems. They are very heavy, They are hard to carry through the woods and yes they are very fast and the string is held back at full draw but it sure is not a gun that shoots arrows. I missed a broadside shot this fall at 20 yds when the arrow ticked off a little twig. With my shoulder problems the crossbow allows me to get out in the archery season once again and pursue the wily whitetail.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#9 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 02:37 AM

If this allows more hunters to strengthen the ranks and be more involved then I'm all for it. LOL, a camp that borders ours here in the mountains has a member that sets up a tricked out 50 cal. bolt action rifle for bear & deer season(perfectly legal here :help: ) ....after listening to that cannon roar from a mile away I'll take the crossbow hunters anyday! Having never used a crossbow, I would be very interested in trying for a Gobbler with one.
Posted Image

#10 The_Nuge

The_Nuge

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Bow hunting.. Tattoos.. beer.. the good stuff!

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:31 AM

Im fine with it for disability hunters. as far as legalizing it for everybody during archery season NEVER! here is why. all the crazy,lazy goon (gun) hunters will run out and buy hopped up cross bows so they can go out and run a muck like they do during gun season during our beautiful 3 month bow season. its such a nice separation for two groups of hunters who's style respect and Etiquette are so different. Im ok with gun hunters and there season. I dont agree with what most of them do but they have the right to there way of hunting.. I just dont want them crossing over into bow season. sounds snobby I know but.. so many bow hunters love the sport for its peaceful quiet cool fall zen like qualitys that could be jeopardized by inviting another hunting culture into it.

Im a snob bow hunter jerk I know..
Dont mind me... im just gona PASS THREW!

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:16 AM

Yes there's idiots that hunt with guns, but all gun hunters aren't idiots. There's also idiots that hunt with bows, all types of bows, and I've run into more than a few. There's idiots that hunt with hanguns, muzzleloaders, and anything else you can hunt with. That's just it, idiots are everywhere doing about anything you can name. BUT, there are even more dedicated hunters in every style of hunting than there are idiots! Yes, there will be those that rush out and buy a crossbow because they think it's easy to use. I've run into many that did just that. Know what? Within a very short time, when they discovered the many draw backs (pun not intended) to a crossbow, 90% put their new state of the art crossbows up for sale! Given a little time all those lazy jerks, as you call them, get weeded out. At a time when our very right to hunt is being attacked from all directions we need all the hunters we can get. Those that are sincere will stay. Those that are lazy, for the most part, fall by the way. Will we ever be totaly rid of them? Not a chance! Why? Because as long as people exist there will be lazy idiots everywhere. Fact of life and I'm not going to lose any sleep over it any more than because a state legalises crossbows.

Jerimiah ( you knew I'd weigh in on this didn'tja? :lol: ) Just wondering? Since your dad got his crossbow, and permit, before the new law was passed...would his bow having a scope be covered by the "Grandfather Clause?" Probably not but, if a guy has poor eyesight, I wonder if a statement from an optomitrist would help? Might take a bit of wrangling but I'll bet he could get a waver to use it.

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 February 2009 - 09:18 AM.

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:11 PM

1) I know just as many "idiots" carrying bows into the woods as I do "idiots" carrying firearms. Seriously, stupid crosses all lines... It has no prejudice. :lol: Further, In PA they actually voted to allow inline muzzleloaders for a few days right in the middle of archery season a few years back now. People can say whatever they want, but I am CONFIDENT in my statement that they did this just to purposely spite bowhunters who had long held off the crossbow. So, to anyone in any state who is still fighting that fight, be careful what you wish for! :peace:
CONCERNING ABLE-BODIED HUNTERS: Is a crossbow already being cocked for you (no physical strength needed at the moment of truth and no movement of drawing a bow with a deer right in front of you...) an "unfair advantage" or "not in the spirit of bowhunting?" Absolutely! But, I'd take them all day long, forever and a day, over any type of firearm in archery season. Crossbows/Compounds/Trad bows are all basically ballistic equals and none of them go "BOOM!" That's right, the same problems we bowhunters have trying to bowhunt during a firearm season are also there for the crossbow hunter. It's not fair to the crossbow hunter to have to hunt that season with their weapon's limitations either. They have just as much "right" to hunt as any of us and "our archery season" is simply the best fit. (And before anyone says, "separate crossbow season"... You do realize that they would likely only cut the archery season in half to accomplish this, right? I know, because that's what they were considering in PA. And then, of course, the fight becomes, "Who gets the time closest to the rut?" It's just not worth it!)

2) A few details are slowly being released to the general public. One of the "recent" PGC board retiring members was a steady no-vote on allowing crossbows in the archery season. This left the panel at six with a 3 to 3 vote. One of the members (I forget his name) offered to change his vote in favor of allowing crossbows for all hunters in archery season IF they all agreed to pass a no magnified scopes on any archery equipment amendment. (I knew this was all politics before even getting this little newsletter about the subject I got the other day.) As the law is written now my father will have to take his magnified scope off! Naturally, the PGC has been absolutely FLOODED by disabled permit hunters with failing eyesight. So, I don't know what's going to happen. I don't know if they would have to re-vote on crossbows in order to lift the scope amendment or what.

It's all ridiculous. It's all politics as usual. Basically, the disabled hunter crossbow permit my father has is no longer worth the paper it was printed on. Amazing he had to pay a fee to the PGC (and probably his doctor - a paperwork fee) all for nothing now AND he has to go out and buy a new non-magnified red-dot, or something to replace his perfectly good scope. Maybe the PGC will go for the triple insult to his wallet and also raise license prices again this year. :rolleyes: I'm furious and it doesn't even directly involve me. :ermm:

sig_admin.png

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:24 PM

I feel your dad's pain. Fortunately or unfortunately my crossbow came with a red dot so I used it rather than put a scope on. Yes he had to pay a fee to the dr. and another application fee to the game commission. I just did that last year. Now if I had waited till now I could have saved a few bucks in those fees. Many years ago we had a month to hunt in Archery season before the gun hunters got their chance in the field. Then Squirrels and grouse came in after two weeks of archery and has been so ever since. Maybe where you hunt that poses no big problem but around here there is a lot of shooting and also around here prime deer country also harbors squirrels and grouse.

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:03 PM

I feel your dad's pain. Fortunately or unfortunately my crossbow came with a red dot so I used it rather than put a scope on. Yes he had to pay a fee to the dr. and another application fee to the game commission. I just did that last year. Now if I had waited till now I could have saved a few bucks in those fees. Many years ago we had a month to hunt in Archery season before the gun hunters got their chance in the field. Then Squirrels and grouse came in after two weeks of archery and has been so ever since. Maybe where you hunt that poses no big problem but around here there is a lot of shooting and also around here prime deer country also harbors squirrels and grouse.

I'm pretty sure I started hunting in '90. So, I remember the days of no muzzleloaders or youth rifle hunt in the middle of archery season well. (I'm not sure if small game overlapped with the tail end of archery season back then or not. I think it may have... Like the last week or so. But, small game hunting in my area is nearly non-existent. Even now if I see a handful of guys out in orange and brown it's a lot.) Anyhow, quite a few changes just in my 18 to 19 years of hunting. Can't imagine what all has changed in your hunting lifetime. (He says in a most respectful manner so as not to come across as one simply calling you old. LOL)

sig_admin.png

#15 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:17 PM

No offense taken Jere. Hey I am old and not getting any younger. My first hunting license was in 1955, and I have all but one of my licenses and most of the booklets too. It has made quite a collection. I recall my first year of archery hunting. Got a lot of shots but due to mostly lack of experience got nothing but back and tired. The following year or so I joined an archery club and shot their outdoor course. When I got to the 80 yd walkup I realized that I had taken shots at deer that far away. I do believe that my hunting with a bow those first couple of years was more launch and hope than serious hunting. There were just two or three of us and no mentors so our learning curve was really steep in the beginning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users