10 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Ok, I've heard of several, but what do you guys think is the most effective way to overcome target panic?? Why?? I've heard of using the right release, shooting blind, etc. Which way have you had the most success with???

TARGET PANIC simply is when an archer is jerking at each and every shot. It?s an anticipation of the shot and a premature release. Looking it up I found this. There is a premature release - or the strong desire for a premature release - of the arrow.

My advice is just go to full draw on a target and don't release the string but let down. Practice holding and concentrating your focus on the target at full draw then count up to what ever number until you have to let down from fatigue. See if you can increase your count by increasing your holding time while you're concentrating on your target. Let done and wait and breath deep all the while don't stare at your target. Do this several times before releasing an arrow. Then practice squeezing the trigger at full draw up close like five feet with your eyes closed to get the feel of that type of release in your mind. Maybe do this exercise five times before you get back to shooting regularly. Target panic comes and goes with most of us but changing up your routine and your focus does help.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 26 May 2006 - 03:35 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 07:16 PM

i just close my eyes and hope for the best :P

#3 tdl12321

tdl12321

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 08:22 PM

I've heard shooting back tension and blank bale is the best method.

Simply taking a couple weeks off worked for me :D

#4 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 27 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

"Straight Talk From the Pros".

http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/video.htm

#5 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

Is it panic not really!!!

So called target panic is the mental part of the brain giving to many signals at once.
This is why we must repeatedly train the sub-conscious of the brain to do more than one thing at once.
We have to anchor, aim, release, fallow through and think about are grip etc. It's about training are muscles to do specific funtions without thinking about it and becoming automatic or in the sub-conscious memory.
Target panic is when the brain is telling you to aim, release, release, aim, aim release, and it gets short circuted trying to do both functions at once and then you do several bad things. You could punch the release, drop your bow arm or freeze up below or above your target or you might even releaes before your at full draw.
More consintration needs to be on aimimg rather than releasing because the release should be sub-conscious and a surprize.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 May 2006 - 07:25 PM

I remember a bunch of years ago I got target panic so bad I almost quit. My usual draw is to come down on the bull from above. When the panic set in I could not pull the sight down onto the bull's eye. It was like the bow was tied to the ceiling and just would not come into the bulls eye. I started to jerk in down and shot on the way past.

Everyone had suggestions even to get a left handed bow and shoot that way. I finally broke the mental block by just what has been suggested. Draw with no intention of releasing and hold on the bullseye till I could no longer hold still and let it down. I then made a list and attached it to the bow of each step in the shot process. This helped some. What I finally used to break that mental block when I could hold on target was to count to 3 slowly and release no matter where the sight was on the target. What that did was to key my release to something other than a sight picture and that did it.

After a few weeks of that I was able to return to my old form without the panic. At the time I thought I was going crazy as my body was not obeying my mind.

I was told at the time that some people never get over target panic.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

I just use what they taught us in boot camp...."Sight Alignment...Sight Picture...sight alignment...sight picture....si...(whoa what was that?????....oh... ROUND DOWN RANGE)" :lol: that's all there really is to it... just quit thinking about releasing, and let it happen..... i'm so focused on keeping my sight alignment and sight picture, that it tends to suprise me when my bow fires, and i'm just shooting a caliper style release.
Semper Fi

#8 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 02:02 PM

The method that I've always used , is also what was suggested at first. Come to full draw and hold the pin on the intended bullseye....with no intension of releasing. Then gently let-off (do not shoot) and repeat.

It's what I learened years ago from reading articles written by olympic archery coaches and it works!

I was just the opposite of PA. I'd raise the sight pin from below the target. It would wander sideways just below the bull from side to side, then in a quick motion I'd jerk the pin past the bullseye and release at the same time. It was as annoying and frustrating as all get out.

The method described resolved the problem in a very short time!

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 07:51 PM

Try and shoot the tightest group you can squeezing the release as S L O W L Y as it absolutely can be done.
Posted Image

#10 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 03:51 PM

Try doing like you should when firing a rifle, take a deep breath ...let it half way out and fire. My son beat the prob by simply firing, without any hesitation, the instant his sight is on target. He's gotten to be an excelant shot too.

#11 huntfromthesoul

huntfromthesoul

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 07:45 AM

The guy at my bow shop caught me doing that a couple years ago and he told me to move closer to the target(like 5 yards) ...Draw ,aim and as soon as my site was inside a 10 in. bullseye I was to release. Then just keep using a smaller bullseye and keep backing up from the target. It helped me alot.
I choose to live simple so those who can't can simply live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users