3 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:47 PM

I ordered the Easton Flatline shafts cut and got the shaft in several days ago and I went ahead and vaned them in Bohning blazer 2" and then weighed them with a 125 grain head and a 100 grain head. My arrows are 28" long and with the 125 grain they came out at a total weight of 370 grains and the 100 grains arrows were at 345 grains (below IBO 350 grain arrows when testing performance).
The Easton flatline with the 125 grain head maxed out three times at 288 FPS.
The 100 grain head Flatline sped up to an average of 298 FPS, 10 FPS faster, just on the fringe of warp speed.

Warp speed starts around 300 FPS :lol: And the Blazer vanes weren't bothered one bit by the drag.

My bow is Mathews Drenalin at 70# and draw is at 28" and the IBO rating for it is 320 FPS set at 30" draw and 70# weight. I just had a new string set put on and had it tuned. All I have on the new string is a d-loop and a meta peep.

The five grains below the IBO 350 testing weight arrows almost got me at 300 FPS.

In contrast I was hunting with an Easton ST Epic camo arrow this past season and it weighed out with a 125 grain head at 443 grains and it was clocked at 262 FPS with the same setup.

These ought to be very flat shooting arrows at the longer distances.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 22 February 2009 - 02:49 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:24 PM

Test them with broadheads on out to 45yds. The 10fps increase only gets you 2" flatter at 50 yds so I'd stick with the greater than Warranty weight arrow ;)

You might have to adjust your draw weight some to get the best arrow flight at distance (in fact it's real likely). I'd say the 125 heads are a little more lossy than the 100s in your current setup. Still tweak the poundage down a little and you may be surprised how little speed you loose and accuracy you gain ;)

Edited by Leo, 22 February 2009 - 03:24 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:03 PM

Test them with broadheads on out to 45yds. The 10fps increase only gets you 2" flatter at 50 yds so I'd stick with the greater than Warranty weight arrow ;)

You might have to adjust your draw weight some to get the best arrow flight at distance (in fact it's real likely). I'd say the 125 heads are a little more lossy than the 100s in your current setup. Still tweak the poundage down a little and you may be surprised how little speed you loose and accuracy you gain ;)

Thanks Leo. Yeah I agree I don't normally pull 70# but for this bit of a test I put the limbs down for a good comparison to the IBO testing of 70# . Plus knowing I'd loose 10 FPS for every 1" below the tested 30" draw so I figured I'd have to be at least 20 FPS below the IBO of 320 FPS with a 28" draw when comparing it to the drenalin statistics.

I usually see a better flight down around 68#. Today the wind was blowing and gusting around 20 MPH with snow flurries so I stayed at 20 yards just to chrono these shots. My curiosity was getting the better part of me once I weighed the shafts.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:37 AM

Great review Rowdy. I recently purchased a Elite Archery Aigil and I went for the Easton Flatline Arrows. Got them in 400 spine and cut at 28" with 85 gr. field tips. Had a 4" wrap and the Duravane Predators. Total weight as per my scale was 337 grains. The Aigil is set at 60# and I have a 29" draw. I shot a few arrows and the set up the chrono. 3 arrows in a row showed 289 fps. I had some Carbon Express Maxima 250 with the 2" Razyr Feathers and a 85 grain field tip weighing in at 323 grains. I got a consistent 296 fps with this set-up and my groups at 20 yards were probably a good 1/2" tighter. My plan is to Turkey hunt with the Carbon Express set-up with 85 gr. Grimm Reapers.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users