#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:01 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was shooting a number of different loads today with the .50 caliber Knight Disc rifle with the Millet Scope. I found that with two pyrodex pellets and a .451 Barnes Cannelured 454 Casull copper bullet out of a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot shot an excellent group. The rifle shot a one inch group. I was more then pleased with that off my bench rest.

The interesting thing is I recovered a Barnes bullet that went through the target and hit the steel trap back stop. Even after flattening to one and three eights of an inch, it still retained 236.6 grains of the original 250 grain weight. That to me was most impressive.

I can understand why people use this projectile on elk...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 04:34 PM

B) Nice shooting there Cayugad!!!!! Cayugad PA and I have been picked for a cow tag in CO this fall and he and I are planning on takeing our muzzys. My question is do you think 250grn is enough to take an elk? I was thinking something more closer to 300grn?
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:35 PM

Eric - if it were a 250 grain Barnes Expander or XPB I would not even blink about shooting that into an elk with a good charge behind it. These things flatten out excellent but they just do not shatter and break up. I have not shot an elk yet with them, but they are shooting elk with 250 grain Shockwaves, and I personally feel the Barnes Expander is a much better built bullet then the Shockwave...
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:47 PM

That is some mighty fine shooting. I do have to agree that those knight rifles are good shooters and I really like the crush rib sabots too. In my Bighorn those crush rib sabots and a 45 cal bullet seem to be a near perfect fit. They are snug but still not real hard to load nor do they just slip down easily. It has been my experience when a combo like that is found the results are real good. Of course you have to be a proficient shot too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users