Photo

What Style Mechanical Release?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Style selection (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Thumb, index finger with wrist strap, back tension

1. Thumb release (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. index finger with wrist strap (18 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

3. back tension release (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. other such as fingers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:57 AM

What release are you using? And do you plan on trying out another one this year.

To me it's that time of year for when I think about what I'd like to try or change in my gear. Check out the new or different arrows or different broadheads for the coming season. I guess I'm curious if I change say my release are the new ones better for me. Several years back I switched to a thumb release from a wrist strap type with an index finger release and I feel it was the right move for me. It definitely improved my accuracy. So I feel this is the time of year to investigate anything new and get comfortable with it before I hunt with it. Plus I can build confidence in using some thing new.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 05 March 2009 - 03:24 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:47 PM

been shooting the carter 2 shot for a number of years and don't see that changing any time soon :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 RickyM

RickyM

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 11:22 PM

I'm shooting a Scott Silverhorn and LOVE it. :D

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

Couldn't imagine going back to an index finger release at this point. ;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

I use an index finger release. What's the advantage to a back tension or thumb release?
-Eric

#6 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

I started using a Tru-Fire 3D Hunter as soon as the archery was over for me in2008 and I have become very fond of it. I don't see myself going back to a wrist/index finger style release.
Posted Image

#7 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:38 PM

I've been using an index finger release since day one. By far the best release I've used is the Carter Two Shot.

I might try something different this summer. I'm really interested in the Carter Chocolate Addiction. It would being as a practice only release, but I might use it for hunting too.

It doesn't matter what kind of release I use, it'll always be a Carter. :D

#8 808XT

808XT

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, computers

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:12 PM

While I hunt with a wrist strap, index finger trigger style release (Carter Quickie), I'm seriously looking into a thumb style, handheld release for my target set up. I'm normally a rifle hunter so the index finger trigger release is a natural for me .... although I shoot a bow left handed and a rifle right handed :doh2: I'm of the opinion that the accuracy needed to hunt is not as strict a requirement as that for target shooting. The hand held release gives me (I'd like to thank Rowdy again for his generous gesture :bigthumb: ) a more consistent anchor. The wrist strap, no matter how tight I make it, seems to give a little. I will say that the Carter triggers are probably the best that I have used. My 2 cents.

#9 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:01 PM

While I hunt with a wrist strap, index finger trigger style release (Carter Quickie), I'm seriously looking into a thumb style, handheld release for my target set up. I'm normally a rifle hunter so the index finger trigger release is a natural for me .... although I shoot a bow left handed and a rifle right handed :doh2: I'm of the opinion that the accuracy needed to hunt is not as strict a requirement as that for target shooting. The hand held release gives me (I'd like to thank Rowdy again for his generous gesture :bigthumb: ) a more consistent anchor. The wrist strap, no matter how tight I make it, seems to give a little. I will say that the Carter triggers are probably the best that I have used. My 2 cents.

The Carter Quickie is THE BOMB if you're hunting with a bow with a string loop.

If you go with a wrist strap style release stay away from velcro. A buckle style is much more consistent and when Velcro gets worn or dirty it slips.
Posted Image

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:57 AM

Matt I feel the hand held gives a solid anchor with very little movement side ways like a wrist release.That's why the Carter wrist ones are so good because of the containment of motion with the crip trigger. The movement with a thumb style gets pushed upward and out so the release stays inline better with your anchor. It was my pleasure to get you thinking hand held style releases. The crisp trigger of a good thumb release can be used for hunting - no problem - cause you can force the shot just like a wrist index finger style. Plus it can be held to go off in a back tension sort of release by adding pressure to the trigger by your squeezing of your back muscles pulling against the thumb. Jeremiah has a Carter thumb style and I have one too, the Carter Chocolate lite 3 finger. I also have the Spot Hogg Saturday night Special and it's a 3 finger. I wear a large glove and the 3 finger type fits in my hand very firmly.
Heck I wish you lived just a bit closer :rolleyes: then it would be easy to try some of the releases I have been using so you could get an idea of what you be comfortable with in hunting and target. :yes: The Proshops would do themselves some justice if they had releases available to test on lease or rental so an archer could see what works best for them. :peace:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#11 wishbone

wishbone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2009 - 10:02 PM

been shooting the carter 2 shot for a number of years and don't see that changing any time soon Posted Image

This will be my second year with the 2 Shot , and I feel the same way Posted Image
Mathews Bows/Easton Arrows
Shimano Reels/St.Croix Rods

#12 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:52 PM

this is the one im looking at trying

http://images.cabela..._01?main-Medium$

#13 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 10 June 2009 - 11:51 AM

[quote name='ricfirefighter' date='07 June 2009 - 09:52 PM' timestamp='1244429520' post='1327215']
this is the one im looking at trying

http://images.cabela..._01?main-Medium$

[/quote] I used this release when it was called a Winn Free Flight. Loved it. However, I discovered 2 disadvantages with it. Climbing into treestands with it on was problematic, as the trigger was always in the way. The other problem was that when I switched to a string loop, the loop would slip between the release mechanism. Upside was that one never had to fumble around looking for the trigger when preparing for a shot, and overall design made drawing a bow a breeze. Trigger pull was adjustable also.

#14 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:39 AM

Truball Tornado for...10 years or so...

http://www.truball.com/tornado.html

You're right about the velcro, gotta get a buckle type. But I'll say this, I've killed lots of critters and shot a lot of 3D and never had it fail. Consistent shooting year in and year out. I've gone through three bows while shooting this release. It's been a good one.

While climbing into the stand I rotate it back and into my sleeve. Even killed one deer while climbing by retrieving my bow from the holder (I have a holder that secures the bow to the stand while I climb), rotating the release back out of my sleeve, load, rock and fire.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#15 BrandonT

BrandonT

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Anything outdoors!

Posted 30 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

I use a Carter One Shot. Have been for a while, why change now? Posted Image Have one for a backup and an old Tru Fire (I believe is what it is...) for another backup. Posted Image
BrandonT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users