Photo

What Style Mechanical Release?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Style selection (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Thumb, index finger with wrist strap, back tension

1. Thumb release (3 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

2. index finger with wrist strap (18 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

3. back tension release (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. other such as fingers (1 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 OHBowhntr

OHBowhntr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:51 PM

Never used anything but the wrist strap or "bear paw"style with a index finger (I actually use my middle finger) style release. I've considered trying a thumb release as they seem like they may be less susceptible to "punching," but never spent the money to "try" one.

#17 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:54 AM

Never used anything but the wrist strap or "bear paw"style with a index finger (I actually use my middle finger) style release. I've considered trying a thumb release as they seem like they may be less susceptible to "punching," but never spent the money to "try" one.

Welcome OH bowhntr! Glad to see another Ohioian here.

That's probably a great practice using your middle finger for several good reasons. One is to control motion in your hand while pulling the trigger back. The other is your index finger tends to be more sensative than your other fingers. If you hook that middle finger around the trigger well into the first joint and slowly pull back with your back muscles you can almost do a surpise release like with back tension style releases. The same is true with the thumb style release.

You can still get the "punching" effect with a thumb style release, I can attest to it from personal problems with it. Anticipating the shot once you are on target makes me want to rush it. I guess it's a form of target panic. The nice thing I find with a thumb release the motion of your thumb has a lesser effect on your release and arrow flight. Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 July 2009 - 06:58 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users