• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

I was told about some good deals on roundball, so I purchased a lot of them. They are nice looking ball, so I wanted to see how well they shot. To do this I decided to use my Thompson Center PA hunter with the 1-66 twist barrel.

For kicks I wanted to get the target back to 50 yards because of someone on a different forum doing off hand shooting. But with the snow being unstable, and having a bad knee right now, I got to 40 yards and decided not to risk anymore sinking in the snow.

After shooting the first two shots free hand, I decided I did not want to shoot free hand. I could not believe how bad I was shooting free hand.

Posted Image

can you guess which ones were off hand...

I then sat at the bench and shot a group. Not too bad for eight rounds. I had pre- measured a number of loads. This one was 85 grains of Graf's & Sons 3f and the new cast roundball. They were selling these roundball for $4.95 a hundred. And they are cast from pure lead. Very nice looking, and well made.

Posted Image

I then wanted to try 85 grains of Graf's 2f and had loaded some of them tubes as well. Again, 40 yards. two kind of slipped out of my group there.

So I upped the powder charge to 90 grains of the Graf's 2f and was shooting for that little green square. The one shot (#2) that went out of that group was my fault. I knew it the second the rifle fired that I had not concentrated on the sight and pulled the shot.

Posted Image

I was swabbing between shots with a spit patch. And then two dry patches. It was nice and warm today at 40 so it was nice not having to wear a winter jacket today. But it was kind of damp out. Very over cast.

These round ball I purchased seem great. I am sure glad I was told about them. I bought them on line at Gander Mountain. I might point out, I checked the sight today and discovered they are now all SOLD OUT!

Posted Image

So this rifle is a very good shooter. I have a lot more shooting to do. Also when I cleaned this rifle, for some reason it was filthy. It took me a lot longer to clean this rifle today then normal.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:41 AM

Good Shooting I did not notice them at GM when I was there or would have bought some too.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 01:18 PM

Well a person on a different forum told me about them. He bought ten boxes of them. And for that price, you can not even buy lead, let alone cast them. So I jumped in and bought my fair share too.. They are a very nice ball. I have my brother checking the store in town since he is headed my way, and told him if they had any on the shelf to buy them out.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

May as well strike while the iron is hot or the lead is on sale. I did the same thing with my favorite shotgun shells at Walmart. They have not been sold for the last couple of years and we saw them on the Winchester site and found them at Walmart and bought a bunch of boxes of them. Infact I was ready to buy more earlier this week but only brought 1 box home. My local walmart does not sell guns anymore and practically no muzzleloader stuff either. Gander Mt is an hours drive away so I don't get there much.

The way things are going politically you just don't know anymore.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users