Attention Firefox Users

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:24 PM

Just wanted to give everyone who uses the Firefox Web Browser a heads up...

The latest Java update did not work correctly for me. It only updated the "DLL Helper" plugin, not the actual JRE plugin. This left me with a mismatched set. As a consequence, every time I would attempt to enter our Java-powered chatroom here, for example, the entire browser would simply crash.

I fixed this issue on my Windows systems by completely uninstalling Java from my computer and reinstalling a fresh copy. Below, I will list the steps I took...
(Note: IF you are having no issues then you do not need to do this. Below is only for those having problems.)

1) Go to your computer's Control Panel and navigate to the Add or Remove Programs list. Locate all instances of "Java" or "JRE Environment" from "Sun Microsystems" and uninstall them.
(I personally use a program called CCleaner to uninstall programs from my computers as it tends to do a better cleanup afterward... Especially of the Registry. But, that's your call.)

2) Navigate to the Root Install folder of Firefox (this is usually located at C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox) and then to the plugins folder. Once there, delete all instances of Sun Microsystems Java plugins. (If you pause your pointer over the files you should get a hover box that will tell you what the file is. If not, you may just have to Google the file names you see until you find the correct files. Mine was named "npdeploytk.dll", for what that's worth.)

3) Restart your system.

4) Open Firefox and surf to: http://java.com/getjava
Download the file and manually install it on your system.

You should now be good to go. Test the HR Chatroom. If you can chat, you're set. :)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users