Whats That Sound?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:42 PM

Ever since I put a new string on my Switchback last spring, I notice a slight "pluck" or "twang" in the first couple inches of the draw. Do you think this is from the QCC's? I've heard a lot of people say on another board that the likely problem is overly-tight QCC's.

It isn't really a problem (my buck didn't know about anyway :D ), but it is kind of annoying. If I draw my bow at normal to fast speed, then you hear it. If I draw really slow, you don't hear it. If you draw slow, let down and then draw normal, you don't hear it.

Just looking for any other opinions. I'm pretty sure it is the QCC's though.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

An intermittent audible "click" or "tick" at the beginning of the draw cycle is most often the QCC (Quick Connect Clips).

Couple things to do... Take the ones you have off and sand the backs (that contact the limb) down smooth with fine emery cloth and re-install. (You likely already know all about that from the "other" site.) OR, head to your Mathews retailer and ask for a set of the "new" egg-shaped QCCs that supposedly won't do this.

It's a funny thing... Only one of my Mathews has ever done this and the fix was simple. Some other folks it seems like they have it with every bow they buy.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

An intermittent audible "click" or "tick" at the beginning of the draw cycle is most often the QCC (Quick Connect Clips).

Couple things to do... Take the ones you have off and sand the backs (that contact the limb) down smooth with fine emery cloth and re-install. (You likely already know all about that from the "other" site.) OR, head to your Mathews retailer and ask for a set of the "new" egg-shaped QCCs that supposedly won't do this.

It's a funny thing... Only one of my Mathews has ever done this and the fix was simple. Some other folks it seems like they have it with every bow they buy.

My bow didn't do it until the new WC string was put on. I noticed it on the first draw (at home unfortunately) and figured it was the string breaking in. It just never went away.

#4 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:10 PM

"You better STOP! Hey!
What's that sound?
Everybody look.
What's goin' down?"

Buffalo Springfield! Say 'round about 1966! Ah yes, I remember it well! :clap:
.....AH Man! I thought it was name that tune! :D

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#5 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:00 AM

The QCC's were the answer.

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 03:25 PM

The QCC's were the answer.

I was just wondering what the reason was it started after the new string was installed? Any reason for it?
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 March 2009 - 05:05 PM

It could have been the fact that WC end loops are served whereas Zebra (the stock strings) are not. Seems unlikely, but this may have changed the load on the QCC. Or, the QCC might not have been seated the same way it was before the string was changed. (Since it's a little raised seam on the backside that actually causes the noise this would seem most likely.) Or, it could have just been a coincidence. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#8 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:37 PM

Interesting stuff Jeremiah.

I'm not sure what the reason was for the noise. I honestly never heard of this problem before, so I thought it was just the string settling, but it never went away. A little sand paper fixed it right up. :thumbsup:

#9 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:50 PM

Hey Matt:

Just go out and run a chain saw for a few weeks with no hearing protection...and the sound will go away, I promise :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#10 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:40 PM

Bruce,
Years ago, my old pickup had a significant rattle in the front end. When I took it into the garage where a buddy of mine worked, I expressed my concern over the unusual sound it was making. Without batting an eye, he confidently blurted out that he could fix that sound in a few seconds. I was still sitting in the driver's seat with my driver's window down and he was standing just outside the window.

"You can?" I responded as I was really intrigued.

"Yup! Just take a couple seconds.", he said.

He then proceeded to reach through the window and past me towards the radio. He turned the volume up really loud, then said, "There, you'll never hear a thang again!". <_<

Everything is relevent I guess! :blink:

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users