• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

Huck are we gonna camp at the spot marked 'gravel pit' at the base of NoName Road

( http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/ima...7cpando%7cco%7c )

or at one of the campgrounds on the west of the highway a few miles north of Homestake Creek Road ( left of the red number 24 on the map link above) ????

Just curiouser. Ron and Woody will need '40 acres to turn them rigs around' :)
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 28 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Charlie:
Both spots were talked about.
The one marked gravel pit...is where we took the photos of the Hunt & Release program with Plunger arrowns.
Plunger Arrow Album.

The spot north of no name, is where huck refers to the Beaver Ponds ( sorry no photos of that spot )
This is where he took Tom, Charlie, and a couple of other people last year and they got onto elk right away. There is a slushy hike to get across to the other side. Might want to add high rubber boots or hip waders to your elkatraz camping gear list. But it is some awesome hunting up there.

The camp site north, has good room for the big rigs.
so does the gravel pit, with the exception of being a bit closer to the HWY. but heck...we will be out hunting durring the important times anyway.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 28 May 2006 - 04:26 PM

Yeah I well know where them beaver ponds are Bruce. I thot that area looked elky when I scouted it 4 yrs ago but I didnt stop to hunt it. I was planning a weeknd up there soon to scout around and was wondering about draggin my camper from Pueblo, or from Denver. It's lots closer from Denver. Only 100 miles. I could almost stay at Elkatraz for two weeks and go to work from there when I had to. It would make a long day but my days is long anyway and I would be in great company. Dawn has some great new hip boots that, strangely enough, fit me too. I figger on working Mem Day 4th July and Labor Day so thats three more days to hunt in Septober. :yes: :yes: :yes:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#4 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 03:10 PM

That gravel pit area was nice and open...it might make good sense with the big rigs and all. The traffic during the night hours is pretty light. I doubt we'll hear any noise from vehicles. From there, we can scoot (ATV) just about anywhere we may want to go. Asphalt is close and God knows those washboard roads are tough on trucks and bladders. That spot would be easy to find... :huh:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#5 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:36 PM

Hmmm as long as there's lots of big bulls runnin around, i'll be happy :D ;)
Semper Fi

#6 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hmmm as long as there's lots of big bulls runnin around, i'll be happy :D ;)

Terry I have to disagree with you on this one. :rofl: :rofl:

As long as there are cows(ELK THAT IS) PA and I will be HAPPY.
:P :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#7 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:51 AM

Eric i tell ya what you chase the cows, and i'll chase the bulls ;) maybe we can double up on them and 2 flatlanders, can get the first bull, and cow ever at an Elkatraz :rofl:
Semper Fi

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 07:09 PM

DEAL :lol: :lol: :lol:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#9 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:27 PM

you whack em i'll pack em

( i need to lose some more wt )
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#10 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:31 PM

Can you guys recognize an elk in the feild?
Let me give you a hint...

Posted Image

Now, is it a cow or a bull? Don't let the little tuft of hair between its ear fool you! :P
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#11 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:04 PM

If one could find a place higher up on no name road in the homesteak area. Where we hunted in Elkatrez I. That would be a better place. It wouldn't be a long drive up to the top and you would not have to trvel that washboard road. I may not have the name of the road right.

I sure wish I could be there this year but with the hip surgery scheduled for July 24, I believe I would be pushing it to come out and hunt. But I will be looking forward to Elkatrez IV, if there is one, I shoud be ready to rock and roll. My objective is to get in the best shape of my life after the hip surgery, so I can redeem myself with that sneeky Bull that got away.

MD

#12 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:40 AM

:lol: @ Huck !
Bet Paul would agree there's something familiar about that packmule!!!!!!
Posted Image

#13 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:59 AM

Hey Huck how did you get that picture of my uncle Jack or is it aunt Jenny. Ill never tell, you will have to assk them. :lol:
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#14 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:04 AM

AAAWWWW and here i thought it was a cow elk :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: naaaa i know what an elk looks like, been seeing them in my dreams every night here lately.. :D
Semper Fi

#15 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

2 items to consider.
( getting back on track of camp )

1) how far does anyone wish to travel from camp to hunt?
2) E1 the largest camper there was I believe my 16 ft pop up.
E2 we had rons rolling palace, Mike G toy hauler and the rest of our small set ups.

the larger rigs are very limited to where we can get them in and out of. The comforts of Ron?s rig ( the awning for cover when cooking, the water heater for hot showers without setting up the boiling pot ) sure made for some nice comforts.

Even though the gravel pit is closer to the Hwy then we were located at E1. I honestly believe it would be a quieter spot then next to the washboard road of camp from E1.

that hwy doesn?t get allot of night traffic, and it is sheltered by tree's between the open areas and hwy itself.
No name road gets some traffic, but not NEAR what the Home Stake road gets.

I totally agree with Huck, that guys jumping on quads and heading up no name, you can actually top over and come down into the areas Ron was hunting closer to Leadville. You can hunt part way up and hit that big meadow where RL , Mel and I called in the bull's. There is some prime hunting areas there and it would fit all of our needs to base the camp out of the bottom of no name.

anyone who wants to hunt the beaver ponds, your 10 mins away be vehicle.
10 mins to go back and find that little pond were the elk snorted down Larry $ neck on the last night.
10 mins from the top of no name.
easy access for the bigger rigs. good area to camp in. good jump off point to head out to hunt.

I'd say the bottom of no name would be the best all round camp spot.

Now keep in mind, my vote is minimal here. I goofed and will be heading to Canada for a bear hunt sept 2-9. my time in camp will be very limited since I won't be able to pull vacation time this year for elkatraz.
you guys make the call where you want to be, but I totally agree with Huck , between the 2 locations of bottom of no name and the beaver ponds...I'd go with no name.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users