• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:13 PM

I second the motion on all counts Bruce.
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#17 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:56 PM

Bruce:
Mikey here. I've been reading the posts for your next elkatraz and I'm a bit confused. No Name road is actually the next road east of homestake creek. Access is practicallly impossible for anything over a 10' or so pop-up camper. Ive hunted the area dozens of times, with Will and others, and found it to hold unbelievable numbers of elk. I think the posts may actually be referring to Homestake Creek road. I don't have a DeLorme handy so I can't tell you the forest road number, however, THAT is the road for RV or trailer access and setup. Will is right, the washboard will rattle the teeth right ourt of your jaw. There is one area along No Name road that one could set up a camp though. If you proceed about 1/4 in from the highway, it appears the forest service cleared some area to the left (for what reason I dont know). That is the only area I am aware of which could be suitable for a camp.
I'll keep reading and stay in touch.

#18 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:42 PM

Mike:
in my mind...and I know the roads twist and turn so north south east west...are simply gen thoughts.

soo... if you are at Redcliff heading southernly about 2 miles down the road going towards camp hale you will have the Home Stake turn off on your right.
another 1/2 mile past that ( through a S turn ) on the right you have No Name road.

At the bottom just off the HWY is an open area, Huck is refering to as the Gravel Pit. On up the road you have narrow turn arounds and steep drop offs and the road ends and it turns into forestry trails. ( the area where Ron's tail gate dropped open and everyones gear when sliding out )

Getting anything on up past the end of no name would be almost impossible, even though there are some awesome camp spots and clearings up there.
there is no way a standard camper would make it, let alone a toy hauler.

but down at the bottom there is a large clearing, flat open spaces and easy access for the big boys toys.

I'm pretty sure we are talking about the same spots.

and yes...good elk hunting, also some good bear hunting. just ask larry and jack :)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#19 Flyfisher

Flyfisher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:58 PM

Bruce:
You're right. The road (proceeding form Redcliff) is just past Homestake after the "S" curve. The gravel pit you're refering to must be the cearing off to the left I've been in. About ten years ago, I towed a pop-up with Will and his sister up no name. What a nightmare. Found a small clearing about half way up to nestle the thing in to. Between the exhaust fumes and the noise, I'm surprised Will speaks to me today.
See Ya

#20 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:17 PM

LOL ya sure it was gas fumes...wait...that might be the proper phrase :)

ok its NF-705 if you follow it up and over you connect with wuritz ditch road that comes out back on hwy 24 closer to leadville

I did some searching on Google Earth.
as soon as I get it figured out how to post the way point I will LOL.
might be in time for E4
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#21 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:42 PM

Lemme know if you need info on Wutrz ditch , I camped scouted and hunted there a few weeks too.

And if you all will refer to my first post that has the link in the map you can clearly see the campsite area marked 'gravel pit' at the base of noname road. :wacko:

I love it when it gets closer and closer and closer to E time...
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

#22 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:45 PM

Bruce,

I'm sitting here with Mike as I type. Yes, it is the clearing at the bottom of No Name that I'm referring to as the gravel pit (that's what it says on Charlie's topo map). I took Mike up No Name several years ago, to about where we were stopped by the snow. We camped there because we couldn't get any higher with his trailer. The bottom of No NAme is perfect for all of us! It will give the guys with the ATVs a chance to open them up! Isn't that part of the experience as well?

I vote for the bottom of NO Name! From there, The sky's the limit (literally)! :yes:

p.s. Start getting in shape BOYZ!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#23 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

now to keep it fair, is turbo allowed to tell where the 6x6 snuck up on him? so the flat landers have an idea where to start looking? ;)
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#24 waveone

waveone

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:11 PM

[QUOTE]I vote for the bottom of NO Name! From there, The sky's the limit (literally)!

p.s. Start getting in shape BOYZ!

That sounds about right Wil. You would vote for the bottom of something somewhere. :D I think you spend too much time around those Rcky Mtn Big horns and Goats.

Either way I have been runnnig for awhile now in addition to my usual workouts so hopefully I will be able to keep up

Edited by waveone, 23 June 2006 - 09:12 PM.

#25 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:28 PM

it was just across from Ron's wallow Bruce, wasn't it? :huh:
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#26 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

LOL something like that

boy ya dont want to bother ron when he is wallering in those mud holes.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#27 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:13 PM

now to keep it fair, is turbo allowed to tell where the 6x6 snuck up on him? so the flat landers have an idea where to start looking? ;)

...and the coordinates are 106.???? west X 39.???? north :huh: :huh: :huh:

it aint just the flatlanders that couldnt find and elk if they fell over one... :D

enquiring minds want to know.

97 days til E3. :wacko:
SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users