5 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 06:09 PM

There are few things that can develope a strong bond between people like hunting together. I was raised, from birth, by my grandmother and never had anyone to teach me about hunting. I learned what little I knew on my own up untill I got married and met my brother-in-law. I think of him often and the many hunting trips he and I shared. Squirrel hunting, coon hunting, turkey and der hunting too. He taught me an awful lot and I can never thank him enough. Due to a stroke he no longer hunts, he's unable to hold a gun, but I still encourage him to go out with me and sit by my side. Then there's a guy I used to work with named Jim. Jim was from Minnesota and loved to hunt but knew no one here to go with. He asked me one day If I'd take him squirrel hunting and that was the beginnig of a long cherished friendship. I introduced him to muzzleloaders and he fell in love with them. I was thrilled to see him take his first deer with a T/C Renegade .54 that was a gift from me. That's a memory we both will never forget. Of course there's my best hunting buddy, my son, and hunting strengthened the bond between us considerably. Of course there's my buddy Paul and we plan to make many new memories I'm sure we both will cherish. Hunting and friendships go together like cookies and milk. Both good by themselves but so much better when combined. I've had many a freind over the years but it's those that I hunted with that stand out in my memory. I'm sure each of you can relate to what I'm saying. And of course there's all of you that I've come to call friends because of our love for hunting. Maybe hunting could cure what's wrong with this world and bring more people together in a way that realy matters. Guess I'm just dreaming but oh what a dream it is. :D

#2 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

When I think of all the friends that I have hunted with I am happy but when I think of how many are not here any more and there is a bunch it brings sadness to my heart.

#3 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:10 AM

Kinda a double edged sword IMO, my best friend who got me into hunting is dead but you move forward and are able to make connections with new friends but never to replace the old ones just bonuses so to speak

bc

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:54 AM

My dad was my mentor. With only an 8th grade education he was one of the wisest hunters I know. Then there was one of my high school buddies that got me into archery and later became my bro in law. Now knowing that guy was a real hoot. You never knew what was next. Of course now my oldest son and I are much like You and Jason. I firmly believe that when you teach your young ones properly in the right things when they are older they do not depart from those teachings. Having a good hunting friend is very valuable but having a family member as your best hunting buddy is priceless.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 09:29 AM

Of course now my oldest son and I are much like You and Jason. I firmly believe that when you teach your young ones properly in the right things when they are older they do not depart from those teachings. Having a good hunting friend is very valuable but having a family member as your best hunting buddy is priceless.

Amen to that my friend. :)

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 10:38 AM

Amen to that Spirit.

I grew up in a farming community and hunting was just one of the things we did. Fishing, camping, hiking, farming and hunting just were a way of life. We didn't know it was a sport and we certainly didn't know we had all the wrong equipment (LOL).

It wasn't until I went to college that the reality of the world and it's weird and twisted way of thinking came to bear on all the things I took for granted. I never realized gleaning the surplus game for food and fellowship was so wrong. For the life of me I still don't. Why taking the life of a cow (someone else doing the killing and butchering of course) is a necessary evil, but hunting wild game for the pleasure of it is wrong.

The very point you raise Spirit - the fellowship of the hunt - is a mystery to most civilized people. They don't understand it, so it must be wrong. So many of my hunting mentors, gone on before me, such treasured friendships...makes me smile to remember them. My hunting brothers of today - such good friends - trusted friends that come to my aid and I to them. What a wonderful life to stay connected to it's sacred circle and share with my fellow predators.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users