7 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:18 AM

Frankly I never realy saw the point of putting a scope on a shotgun unless you're shooting slugs maybe. But as age takes it's toll, and my eyesight gets worse, I'm figuring on putting a red dot on my Mossberg 835. We have a brand new Red Dot that was meant to go on my crossbow but just would not set right on it. It's just been laying around and I figure I might as well put it to use. Wondering if those of you who have one on your shotgun find that it improves your shooting and is it fairly easy to sight in? Is it practical when shooting only shot? If so, do you just adjust it for center of your pattern? My Mossberg is strictly a turkey gun. I have no intention of ever firing a slug through it.

Edited by Spirithawk, 15 March 2009 - 10:23 AM.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 15 March 2009 - 11:55 AM

I like red dots because they cover less of your target than open sights. You can also easily shoot with both eyes open, which helps your peripheral vision while shooting. Also it is not as important where your head is placed on the stock because as long as the dot is on the target, you will hit it.
-Eric

#3 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Funny you started this post Spirit, as I just sighted in my new Burris speed dot 135 on my Win 1300 today.

As I am getting closer to the 40 year old mark I have noticed that my open sights were starting to blurr so last year I decided to give the red-dot a try, It worked very well and I bought another and gave Dad my old one from last year and bought another and now that I'm all ready for turkey season I will not own another turkey gun without a red-dot. :no:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club
Real Men Shoot Flintlocks
International Harvester Tractors
2008 Realtree Turkey Contest Team Champs!

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:02 PM

Mine is ready to go as of 2 weeks ago. It took six shots and my shoulder is just recovering. A red dot sure does not lessen the recoil but as Run says all you need to do is put the red dot on the target and you are good to go. We got Eric's gun shooting where he wants it in about 6 shots. His shoulder survived but his cheek sure got banged. He tried his last shot at about 22 yds and it near blew the target away. Even the wad put a dimple in the turkey.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:54 AM

If you go with a Red Dot or any scope on a shotgun for that matter the comb on the stock will be too low. This makes "Cheek Slap" even worse.

Do yourself a favor and get one of these for the shotgun you plan to scope.

Beartooth Comb Adjustment Kit

They raise the comb are padded and virtually eliminate "Cheek Slap". A very worthwhile addition to a scoped shotgun for around $20.
Posted Image

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Leo I am sure that Eric will benefit as his cheek actually was bleeding from a cut from his teeth inside his mouth.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 09:14 PM

Yep thank you Leo, I will look into one of those. :thumbsup:
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

#8 Eric

Eric

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 05:20 PM

If you go with a Red Dot or any scope on a shotgun for that matter the comb on the stock will be too low. This makes "Cheek Slap" even worse.

Do yourself a favor and get one of these for the shotgun you plan to scope.

Beartooth Comb Adjustment Kit

They raise the comb are padded and virtually eliminate "Cheek Slap". A very worthwhile addition to a scoped shotgun for around $20.

Leo I went and ordered one of those today so when I get it put on I will let
every one know how it works. Thanks. ;)
AKA PA Spike King
Casters Hunting Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users