Photo

What is considered "Big Deer" where you live?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Pittsburghunter

Pittsburghunter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 06:55 PM

I'm talking public land not plot feed, find em and shoot em deer.

I find there is a big difference even in different parts of NH. On average the deer up in pittsburg just weigh in about 10% or more bigger with the exception of last year when someone bagged a non-typical across from the Nascar track in Loudon NH that was over 250lb and was I believe 14point. It is common to see does well over 140lbs in Pittsburg but around here 120 or so max.

I was traveling through Georgia a few years back to visit relatives in florida and we stopped a a Cracker Barrel for lunch and some guys were there showing off their deer and some had real nice racks and all but they looked pretty small.

Is this something that is real or imagined on my part, do Whitetails vary in size as much as I think?

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:06 PM

As a general rule the further north the bigger the deer. I also believe that herd numbers and habitat has something to do with size. But you are right the further south the smaller the body size. Many times a deers weight is an estimation and I truly believe a great deal of imagination. In PA if a deer is 150lb or more it is a really big deer. Until our current deer management/antler restrictions came into effect most deer were in the actual field dressed wt of around 100 lbs and a big one was 120.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 01:04 PM

We call biguns here in ky when they go over 170 field dressed....some i've seen go as much as 250 but i've never shot one that size. But yes i've seen them hanging on the scale .....200 is a big buck for us as well , course we have alot of corn, acorns & soybeans etc.

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#4 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 07 April 2005 - 04:16 PM

i guess we have the little ones up here i can shoot 300 pound does on about any day some bigger :D

#5 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 08 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

Bucks that field dress 180+ pounds. Does that dress out over 140. I hunt central Mn and west central Wi.

#6 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:29 AM

Pittsburghunter

I believe some of the differences can attributed to the difference in subspecies. I believe there are about 30 different subspecies of whitetail deer.

#7 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 09 April 2005 - 01:28 PM

Haven't hunted white tail in ages ...back to when I lived in North Dakota some 10 years ago or longer. Average deer would weigh in field dressed 140-180 range ( buck ) with the occassional buck over 200.
Buddy of mine brought home a 220 lb field dressed white tail the last year we hunted together.

But them is corn fed deer :) with lots of CRP to hide in.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#8 sschneid73

sschneid73

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:11 PM

Typically around here in the corn belt of Nebr. the average size of deer harvested is around 200 pounds. Field dressed at 180 or so. I have harvested only 1 deer over 240 and that was my Pope and Young 4x4. Field dressed at 220. I mainly harvest does. On the average I get 6 deer a year. Usually on nice buck but almost always a lot of does. The does I harvest are usually 2yrs. and older. They typically weigh 150-200 lbs. We have some monster deer around the river bottoms. During rifle season I like to hang out at the check station and see what comes in.

Steve

#9 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:53 PM

We call biguns here in ky when they go over 170 field dressed....some i've seen go as much as 250 but i've never shot one that size. But yes i've seen them hanging on the scale .....200 is a big buck for us as well , course we have alot of corn, acorns & soybeans etc.

That's about the way it goes where I hunt in West. Ky. as well.

That's about the way it goes where I hunt in West. Ky. as well.
Posted Image

#10 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 22 April 2005 - 06:54 PM

That didn't come out exactly right. :no:
Posted Image

#11 Bowhuntidaho

Bowhuntidaho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 10:46 PM

Idaho mule deer. A good size deer, 4 point. (thats an 8 point for all the south foke). goes about 170 to 190 dressed. The bigger ones ( 5 point B&C) can go over 200 lbs.

I went to Texas on a hog hunt with some of my family. All they could tell me about was the big Texas deer. I seen one on the hog hunt. I have seen dogs that are bigger than their deer. I must say, They do have nice racks. For puppies. It was a nice 4x5.
This year they are coming to idaho on a deer/Elk hunt. I don't think they will look at their deer the same.

#12 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:30 PM

Well in Wyoming we have whitetails and Mule deer. talking a good public land area for mulies--oh a 25" 160 class buck. Whitetail 130 class

Marty

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#13 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 30 March 2006 - 12:11 PM

Alberta? Big deer? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ! :lol: :rofl:

#14 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 03:44 PM

Bucks 200lbs, does 140lbs. A lot of a deers size has to do with habitat and genetics. Southern Missouri, for instance, as a rule has smaller deer than Northern Missouri where crops such as corn has a big influence on size.

#15 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

B) well if they will fit on a biscuit here...they are "big enough deer" :lol: no seriously, in my area a 150 lb live hoof weight is a big deer a hundred lb doe is a big deer. however in south carolina just 100 mile away i have killed a 200 lb deer...weird. but in my area there are no ag resources to supplement really.
Bill

Edited by 7pointbuck, 31 March 2006 - 10:26 PM.

"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users