Photo

What is considered "Big Deer" where you live?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 02:32 PM

Leave it to me to read into this wrong! :doh: I though we were talking antler score on a descent public land deer......

A big muley will go over 300lbs and a big whitetail about 250lbs on their bodyweights.

I would like to mention my Northern Alberta Whitetail I harvested in Novemeber field dressed at 268lb on a scale. I was amazed at the body size of those Northern deer. Monsters!

Fatty ;)

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#17 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 11:38 AM

bucks here go around 120-150 does are 100-120... there are more and bigger deer here but getting them is tough... have seen plenty of deer that will go 200 and seeing more all the time as more folks are trying to manage the heard.... so in the next few years maybe they will average 175....
D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

#18 ricfirefighter

ricfirefighter

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

we have some does up around 200lbs live wieght and 300lb bucks big bodies all over and some nice racks to go along friend shot a 170 class buck 2 yrs ago last yr his wife got a bigger one :D

#19 Ronforca

Ronforca

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 12:19 PM

My largest Deer up here in British Columbia was 165 lbs.cut and wrapped and ready for the freezer.WE took out most of the bones.It was a Mulie.

#20 vcross

vcross

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing

Posted 06 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

We have some pretty nice deer here in GA. One factor, I believe, is that alot of young bucks are shot and hunters don't see the "big one". In recent years Ga has been more restrictive - only 2 bucks - one must be 4 point or better on one side. (we also get 10 does) I could have easily shot my limit this year but chose to only shoot 2 does. Saw may bucks but I was shooting does unless I saw one larger than 8 points on both sides. I knew I might not get a buck this year but I think it will increase my chances next year. Most of our club members do the same thing and we have had an increase in the past few years of better deer.

Many bucks are around 200 lbs and does are about 120 lbs. (I think we have mosquites that weigh that much :o )

Neighboring state of AL allows 1 deer a day. That would sure change your hunting stratedgy!

Edited by vcross, 06 June 2006 - 10:33 AM.

#21 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 07:44 AM

I killed two eight points the last two rifle seasons and the both went around 150. These were both 2.5-3 year old deer. Dad has shot a few over the past few years at camp that were considerably bigger, and Huck killed a big one last season as well. These deer are mountain deer, no corn or soy.

Edited by Whistle Pig, 16 June 2006 - 07:45 AM.

Posted Image

#22 johnf

johnf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 11:26 AM

I took a buck this year that was 178lbs on the hoof to the meat packer, he was the heaviest deer of the year there. A big doe is 130lbs here. An hour and a half SE of here they are about 50-60 lbs lighter.

#23 tomscheland

tomscheland

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 08:14 AM

round here 150 on bucks 100 on does....they are getting bigger though as more and more folks are starting to manage the deer which this is on public open areas...private property grounds are much bigger...lot's of 200 lb plus bucks and 160 does

Edited by tomscheland, 11 August 2006 - 08:17 AM.

D.H.N.A.
N.R.A.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users