#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:42 AM

Urban Bowhunt Reduces Iowa Deer-Vehicle Collisions Bowhunting World
3/23/2009 According to bowhunters in Iowa, their efforts have cut down on the number of deer-vehicle crashes in Cedar Rapids.

The Iowa Department of Transportation and the Iowa Department of Natural Resources reported a decline in deer-related car accidents has swept Linn County, where an urban bowhunt has been held in Cedar Rapids for the last three years. In 2004, there were 453 deer-vehicle crashes, but in 2008 the departments counted only 250 deer-vehicle crashes.

Bowhunters Aric Sloterdyk and Steve Havlik count themselves and fellow bowhunters as responsible for the drop in deer-related car crashes.

"In my opinion, bowhunters have made an impact in the last three years," Sloterdyk, a DNR conservation officer, told the Cedar Rapids newspaper, The Gazette. "The number (of deer-vehicle crashes in the city) has reduced every year since the hunt started."

The city has held the annual urban bowhunt from Sept. 13 to Jan. 25. for the past three years. It is expected to continue this fall.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:48 AM

I think you'll see more of these programs in place to help with this costly and potentially deadly problem. Not much argument when the stats prove it's working and like Leo mentioned earlier with growing deer populations invading urban landscapes and causing browsing damage then the opposition to hunting will diminish to lower the herds numbers.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 01:50 PM

we need to do something about the deer in urban areas Heather seen a car hit 2 yesterday morning (they are now in our freezer) same guy hit both deer one male (button buck) and one female totaled the car the driver was alright but there are so many deer around here you see heards of them again in the fields and by the roads they are not scared of cars at all
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#4 808XT

808XT

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, computers

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

I hunt in Linn County (I have a sister who lives in Cedar Rapids) when I can get a tag. The IowaDNR is making it increasingly more difficult for NRs to get tags. Last year they eliminated antlerless tags for the archery season. This year there's a proposal to eliminate antlerless tags in Linn county (and a few others) during the firearm (Nov. & Jan.) seasons. Two or three years ago they made it a requirement for NR hunters who were successful in drawing an any deer (buck) tag to also purchase an antlerless tag. I guess the urban hunting is helping (you wouldn't believe it if you talked to my sister :no: ) but the NR hunters aren't getting much of an opportunity to help out.

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:59 AM

We have a bazillion of them in the city here, but if you are shooting them, you had better have a Kodak in your paws. Some are real monsters too. The golf courses have a bunch, and every morning when I come home from work I see them on the highway. Going downtown can be a workout on your evasive driving abilities too. We have wooded parks in the city, and the deer thrive. We even get moose,bobcats and cougar in the city. The yotes have a permanant residency as well. Anybody need a skunk? :blink:

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

Here in Branson it's a joke. A BAD JOKE! There's a large number of deer that call inside the city limits home. Jason and I saw several just last night. Not just in the edge of woods but right out on the sidewalks. They have absolutely no preditors and die from disease and being struck by vehicles in far greater numbers than those that die of old age. The police are disgusted with having to clean up the mess when one is struck by a vehicle. With Branson being a tourist town it sure ruins peoples vacations when they wreck their nice cars because of hitting a deer right in town. It also ruins their day when they have to see the deer shot and put down. Locals complain of the deer eating their flowers and shrubs too. You'd think that city officials would welcome archery hunters thinning the deer herds, but no! Why? Because there is a city ordinance that NO PROJECTILE can be fired inside city limits and officials wont budge. They'd rather put up with the problem than take steps to correct it.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 April 2009 - 12:19 PM.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

Sounds like RED and Spirit you guys have a real need to get this started. There are three suburbs here that have urban bowhunting organized and it's allowed through local city counsel and their mayor and the police department runs it. It very well run and has lots of rules. The small wooded parks give up over 60 deer every year in one little city suburb.

That's what it takes is backing of the mayor and the police to organize it. It does have to go to a vote that I'm aware of and it just has to abide by the hunting regs in your area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users