• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:46 PM

Yahoo recommends I upgrade to Internet explorer 8. Is it worth it?
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

I'm waiting a few months until the public beta stage (a.k.a. the first release of any Microsoft software) is over and most of the bugs are worked out. :lol:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:14 AM

As you might assume I too have my reservations or wouldn't have posted about it.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:30 AM

Well, I did install it on my backup computer last night after this. I'll test it for a while and let you know. Install at least went well.

Initial Thoughts: Honestly, I'm not sure it's enough of a change to be a great upgrade. A few of the changes I have no intention of ever using. For example, one suggests Web sites you should visit based on sites you visit frequently. (Basically spying on your surfing.) No use for that, personally. Some might like it. :shrug:

It is nice that after, what, close to 15 years, Microsoft finally put together a standards complient browser. It also seems noticeably faster than ie7. (Truthfully, it may even be a tad faster starting up and at loading pages than Firefox. :shock: ) I still need to test how it is on resources and also play with some of the new "security" features.

But, at least so far it hasn't melted anything down. :lol:

sig_admin.png

#5 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:04 PM

Thanks Jere I think I'll wait a bit anyhoo.

#6 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:02 PM

I spent the better part of the day re-installing Windows Vista to a new hard drive on my Notebook PC. (The original was acting up, plus I needed more storage space. So, I bought a Seagate Momentus - REALLY nice drive - BEFORE anything crashed.) To my surprise, install wasn't as bad as I expected even with the fact that I had upgraded from Home Basic to Home Premium online. I just used the "Anytime Upgrade" DVD that Microsoft sent me when I purchased the upgrade to clean install Home Basic with the key on the bottom of the laptop. (Yes, this worked! I'm really happy I didn't have to use the Acer recovery disks loaded with all of the junk software they automatically install.) Then, used the same upgrade disk to upgrade to Home Premium from the key I discovered on the old hard drive using a program called Magic Jellybean. (Everything worked as it should. Activation worked. No issues... And hopefully that info will help someone here at some point.)

ANYWAY, to the issue at hand, I figured since I was doing a fresh install of Windows that I might as well go all the way up to ie8. I further figured since I'm wanting to keep this install as clean as I can that I wouldn't even install Firefox. (My preferred web browser.) I guess you could say I'm forcing myself to use this and give it a fair chance. So far, stability has been good. I will say there are quite a few Web sites I visit that are not ie8 compliant and need to be viewed in compatibility mode. (I hate this. Browsers should conform to web standards. They themselves shouldn't be dictating or creating new standards. But, that's my view as a guy who has to build or rebuild sites, not as an end user just surfing the 'net for enjoyment.)

On another note, ie8 does seem to use a little bit more resources than Firefox. (I need to test more, but it seems not too bad. Then again, I only had one tab open when I was testing, so the usage numbers I was seeing weren't great either.)

I realize you're really just wanting to know if the thing will crash your system or not and so far I say I can't see a reason it would. It's certainly an upgrade over ie7 too. I'd like to test a bit more before advising an upgrade right now. But, initially it looks promising.

sig_admin.png

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:17 AM

Hmm... First eyebrow raise.

It seems ie8 - like the Google Chrome browser - is placing each browsing tab you open in its own running process on your computer. The problem is that these processes don't always seem to want to close when I close tabs. (Even several minutes after the fact.) Even when I only have one tab in the browser open I tend to still have at least two intances of iexplorer.exe running on my computer. (One usually over 50,000 K memory usage and the other around 5,000 K.)

Take right now, for example... I only have one tab open right here to make this post, yet I have 4 instances of ieplorer.exe running. The smallest one is using ~10,000 K of my RAM, largest 55,000 K with the others in the 33,000 K range. This could get resource intensive in a hurry. I just sit here and watch my memory guage needle jump whenever I open ie8. :unsure:

sig_admin.png

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been using ie8 all weekend and it seems to be getting slower. :doh2:

Opening tabs (even blank tabs, mind you) draaaaags horribly. I'll click to open a blank tab and start typing in the search box (hence the desire for the new tab - to do a search without leaving the page I'm on) and several seconds later when the browser finally catches up and decided to open the tab it jumps focus from the search box where I was typing to the address bar. So, I have to stop typing, click back on the search box (or tab over) and resume typing. In and of itself it may not seem like a deal breaker, but it's a cumulative effect of several small annoyances like this that really have me falling out of love with this browser.

It's also far from intuitive. In Firefox, I can just type "google", for one example, in the address bar and it knows to add a dot com to the end and takes me to the site. (Most sites I visit work the same. "huntingresource", for example.) In ie8, type just "google" in the address bar and it's going to treat it as if you were searching the term "google" in your default search provider. I can also just start typing any part of a web address or site name and Firefox will automatically list sites in a drop down from my Bookmarks (known as "Favorites" in ie) for me to choose from. By contrast, ie's "autocomplete" rarely seems to get the suggestions right. (It seems to only suggest from places I've been that browsing session and not from my favorites list.) This drives me insane! Oh, and I can't stand not having my spell check! Firefox has built in spell check. Posting here, for example, is just like sending an e-mail. I'm automatically shown what I misspelled and suggestions are offered. I really do think this should be default in ie too. I don't want to have to install a separate program like iespell to port this functionality in.

All in all still an improvement over ie7. Needs a little more stability and a possible multiple tab issue dealt with. Definitely has light-years to go to catch up to the competition in user-friendliness and intuitive design. But, if all someone has ever known is ie, then they wouldn't know the difference and could probably upgrade right now and be mostly happy.

sig_admin.png

#9 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:49 AM

I noticed the same thing Jer the longer my computer is on the slower it gets then I reboot and its better and then bogs down again
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#10 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:52 AM

another thing is when you go to certain webpages (other forums :( ) there is a compatibility issue (page comes up and all seems fine) then all of a sudden when your reading a post it dissapears and says compatibiity issue reconfiguring and reloads the page
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#11 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 03:51 PM

another thing is when you go to certain webpages (other forums :( ) there is a compatibility issue (page comes up and all seems fine) then all of a sudden when your reading a post it dissapears and says compatibiity issue reconfiguring and reloads the page

Yep. Even here at HR and one of the other sites I handle there is a small glitch or two. (Plus that tell-tale little "torn paper" icon up there next to the refresh button.) Sad thing is I have no idea what constitutes an "ie8 compliant" Web site. I've simply found nothing in print that details it or I would have already made whatever change(s) are needed.

All I know is that I've been designing to be fully W3C complient for close to a year now. If that isn't good enough for Microsoft then they can kiss my cyber-buttocks.

EDIT: I found it... IE Compatibility Center on the MSDN site. Joy. :rolleyes:

EDIT TWO: LOL I guess I should have had more faith in my abilities and... Microsoft. :P
A simple meta line in the header and no mo compatibility button. :D

sig_admin.png

#12 MuleDeer

MuleDeer

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

I've been running windows 7 which has ie 8 for months. I haven't found anything major, just the normal oddities that happen from time to time depending on the website you are at.

#13 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

I think this will be my final word on the subject...

Paul, from what I've seen I think you'll be fine to upgrade and definitely feel IE8 is a significant improvement over IE7.
Well "worth it". :thumbup:

As to the "Browser Wars" and where they are stacking up against each other...
This Article, though old, has summed up my own findings probably better than I could have expressed. IE8 still has a javascript speed issue compared to Firefox and Chrome. I'm also finding it still a bit more resource hungry, especially when opening/using multiple tabs.

sig_admin.png

#14 Leep

Leep

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:48 PM

I upgrade I.. every time one comesout , then I delete it from my desktop. I use Mozilla and Opera, that's all.

Opera is a little faster..Want to speed them up? Type in speed up Mozila and or Opera and follow the directions and both will be a good bit faster.

Want to speed up XP and or Vista.. Type in speed up XP and or Vista and find a website that walks you through it. Both will be faster, I guarantee it..
Good Luck:
Leep:
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users