15 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 04:00 PM

I'm sure everyone may not agree with me, but in my opinion, Mossberg doesn't get near enough credit for their shotguns. A lot of people refer to Mossberg as if they are the poor step-child in the family of shotguns and Mossberg deserves better. Sure there are a lot more exspensive ones, and many with fancier looks and gimicks, but for the price, Mossberg makes a very solid and reliable shotgun and they've been doing so for quite a long time. I've owned a few and never had one fail me yet. Jason and I both own 835 3 1/2" mags and when we talk turkeys that's the guns that imediately come to mind. Jason had a Beneli and he traded it for the 835 he gave me. Not that the Beneli was a bad gun, just that the 835 is way more suited for busting turkeys. I can't even imagine turkey hunting with any other gun. My whole point is, that yes there are a lot of great guns out there, but Mossberg is hard to beat for price and reliability and they should be ranked favorably with Winchester, Remington and yes even Beneli when it comes to getting the job done.

#2 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:26 PM

I totally agree with you Norm. I wouldn't trade my Mossberg for anything. It doesn't look as nice (but still looks great IMO) as other shotguns, but it shoots and shoots well. They are great guns for the price, and actaully have introduced some pretty neat innovations that make them really unique in the world of pump shotguns.
-Eric

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:29 PM

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 20 GA model 185D. It is a bolt action with a detachable clip. Still have it. It also has three screw on chokes. The Price I paid for it was $28.95. I had to put it on layaway as I did not have that much. It took me nearly 5 months to pay it off. Aah those were the days. I still have that gun.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#4 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:12 PM

I've owned two Mossbergs in my life and don't expect to own more.

The first one, a 500, broke off at the barrel weld that holds the magazine tube cap on the first week I bought it. This was some years back, so I was able to return it for cash back.

The second I bought probably close to 8 years ago now. (After finally talking myself into believing the 500 was a fluke. :) ) It's an 835 I still have. It patterns wonderfully and I've killed several turkey with it. However, the action is about as smooth as a PA highway after a long, cold winter. (That is totally not smooth at all, rather incredibly rough, for those unfamiliar with Pennsylvania roadways. :D ) It's simply not a joy to shoot or handle at all. Thus it occupies a permanent spot in my cabinet. It's my, "Can I borrow one of your shotguns, Jeremiah?" gun. ;)

The two Remmy 870s I have crush the Mossberg for action smoothness and shell ejection. I may be old school, but I also very much prefer the balance of the wood stock and forend on the standard 870 over the synthetics on the 835 as well.

I have a friend who says the only thing his 835 is good for is a boat oar. To me, that's a bit harsh. I think I prefer your poor stepchild phrase. I keep it around just so I can abuse it. :doh2: :lol:
Hey, you know what they say, "To each their own." :peace:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:37 PM

In 93 I was legally blind in my right eye from a cataract as a result of using it to block a fair amount of left jabs in my ornery days of youth so I picked up a Mossy 500 so I could learn to shoot lefthanded( the safey set-up was easiest to use)...I killed alot of turkeys & small game with that gun but talked myself into an 835 for the 3 1/2" capability for goose loads. My first 835 had the slide action worked on by a fellow tech who polished them with a lapping compound. That was a sweet working pump gun but I didn't like the 28" barrel for a turkey gun....its now serving Woodhick well. ( Durn whippersnapper busted a triple on claybirds the 1st time he used it at camp). I planned to replace it with an Rem. 870 but Seth was working at Gander Mountain and called one day to say they had some 835's with syn. stocks & 26" barrels on clearance for $199 so I opted to save quite a bit and picked one up. This newer one is a great turkey gun so far. The 835's trademark is that they kick the bejebbers out of ya when shooting 3 1/2" loads. Sadly it seems that most firearm manufacturers are mass producing pretty poorly made products compared to a decade or two ago. It'd be tough to be dad's old Winchester model 12 for a great pump gun. :thumbsup:

Edited by Phil, 31 March 2009 - 06:40 PM.

Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Mossberg was who originated the 3 1/2" 12ga loading. It was welcomed with open arms by waterfowlers who were extremely disappointed with the pathetic steel offerings available at the time. It also proved itself very convincing in the turkey field.

All current shotgun manufacturers have to credit Mossberg with that innovation.

They make a solid gun but just can't seem to break into the higher line shotgun markets. They've tried with their reserve series guns.
Posted Image

#7 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

I had an 835 for a few years and liked it alright enough - especially for the price. As stated above, the action was rough, it wasn't exactly pretty and it balanced differently with the synthetic stock and mile and a half long barrel. It just never felt quite "right". But it sure did toss out a great pattern for turkeys; though I never got a shot at one with it. My problem was that Melody's Model 1300 Winchester (which she named "Matilda") fit better, felt better and shot much better so I sold the 835 and now beg, borrow or steal Matilda when I need to scatter some shot around. Matilda has pegged numerous black bear with rubber slugs, taken plenty of pheasant, grouse and chukar and even eliminated a couple of racoons but STILL no turkey! :rolleyes:
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#8 Dennis

Dennis

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

I just purchased a Mossberg 535 12 guage pump for turkey hunting this spring. Can't wait to take it out ..

Loving life, and taking things one day at a time..

#9 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 08 February 2011 - 08:40 PM

I've got a 500 that I've had for a while ( I think about 6 years). The only complaint I have about it is that it kicks like a mule, it only takes a 3" mag, but the 3" 00Buck will make you want to make your first shot count everytime. LOL Never had it jam, throws a great pattern, and the gun hasn't been babied.
Semper Fi

#10 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 09:56 PM

Most Mossbergs after being used a while start to look a little like me, rode hard and put away wet but seem to get the job done. Most folks use them as a beater gun and hence the well used look. Most Mossberg pumps either have or get a little rattle in the action but that just makes them more Mossberg.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#11 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:36 AM

Mossbergs made a solid tough gun. Not the smoothest in the world or the sweetest to shoulder, but a real bread and butter gun that normally will not let you down when the going is tough. I have never owned one. And that's kind of strange in itself. My buddy who I used to duck hunt with for years had one. And he was complaining one afternoon after missing several birds, that his shotgun ... a Mossberg pump model was just a POS. I offered to trade him for the rest of the afternoon. He used my Westfield Double Barrel 12 gauge. I used his pump Mossberg. I shot one Mallard and pointed out for the day. All I noted is.. very tight choke. But it sure knocked him out of the sky. And it shouldered fine and fast. He later traded it off and got a Remington Model 1100 semi auto. And he still can't hit a duck.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#12 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, spending time with my kids and wife, anything that gets me out of the house especially pertaining to my outdoor persuits. computers, technology, movies,

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:41 PM

Well as far as an update. I managed to put down a small 5point (3x2 for the northerners LOL) whitetail buck this season. Did it with my Mossy 500.... 3" mag 000Buck to the neck at 20yds. He turned 90degrees and dropped like a bag of rocks. So I can't really complain about it.
Semper Fi

#13 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:58 PM

I gave serious thought to buying a shotgun barrel for my Encore but the fact is I just don't need one. When it comes to turkey hunting my Mossberg 835 is still my go to gun and likely always will be. :)

#14 TerryfromAR

TerryfromAR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:42 PM

Norm I don't doubt it for a second. Why buy something else when what you already have has the medicine you need? I'm thinking about pouring up a lead slug to go inside the buttstock of my 500 to try and reduce the recoil a little, but I'll probably leave it as is..... Change of subject, but how have you been feeling the past couple of days? Just wanna check on you ya know?
Semper Fi

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'm doing ok Bro, thanks for asking. I still have chest pain off and on but don't think it's my heart. At least I hope not. :) I finally got the call from the surgeon I've been waiting for. I see him the 29th to see if he thinks I'll have to have my Mitral Valve replaced and if he can do it. One surgeon has already said the operation is too risky. Kinda on pins and needles untill I know the outcome.

Here's a bit of proof of my Mossbergs worth. Sure am looking forward to April! ;)
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users