Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

Posted Image

April 2, 2009

Posted Image Safari Club International Adopts The Salvation Army of Metro Detroit as Partner

"SOUTHFIELD, Michigan, (March 24, 2009) The Salvation Army of Metro Detroit signed a partnership with Safari Club International (SCI) today, a result of the goal to enhance and expand its existing outdoor programming and youth outreach options through SCI's expertise and funding capabilities. At its national convention in January in Reno, the Tucson, Arizona-based SCI Board of Directors voted unanimously to officially adopt a model partnership with The Salvation Army Eastern Michigan Division, headquartered in Southfield. Since then, SCI chapters in Michigan have contributed more than $18,000 to The Salvation Army Outdoors, part of The Salvation Army's youth outreach programming in Michigan. Most of these funds were used to build a new facility at The Salvation Army Outdoors' (TSAO) Echo Grove camp in Leonard, which gives youth a safe and exciting introduction to shooting sports, including archery and air rifles. SCI is also providing expertise through instruction at Echo Grove camp. This past summer, SCI volunteers provided certified instructors to help 32 youths earn their Hunter Safety Certification. In addition, SCI is training leaders in The Salvation Army by providing the opportunity for the nonprofit's instructors to attend the American Wilderness Leadership School in Jackson, Wyoming." Please see the full release by clicking HERE.

Posted Image Support SCI Foundation and Travel the Internet with GoodSearch.com!

SCIF featured as Charity of the Day on GoodSearch.com and GoodShop.com

The SCI Foundation was honored to learn that GoodSearch.com, the Yahoo-powered search engine, selected SCIF as Charity of the Day for April 20, 2009. The honor is in recognition of the SCI Foundation's great work world-wide in conservation, education and humanitarian services. SCIF's leadership encourages SCI members and others to visit www.goodsearch.com and to use this free service for all of your web searches. If you insert SCIF in the charity of choice, SCIF will receive a penny every time you do a search, and it doesn't cost you a penny. And, please do all of your online shopping through GoodShop.com where a percentage of each order will be donated to us (you don't pay anything extra). Hundreds of great stores including Bass Pro Shops, Best Buy and others have teamed up with GoodShop, and every time you place an order, you'll be supporting SCIF's great work for all who love hunting and conservation. Every time you place an order, you'll be supporting our organization. Just go to www.goodsearch.com and enter "Safari Club International Foundation-SCIF" as the charity you want to support. And, be sure to spread the word to your family and friends!

Posted Image Gray Wolf Removal from Endangered Species List Set for May 4th

In a move supported by SCI, today, April 2, 2009, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) published two final rules removing the gray wolves of the Western Great Lakes and the Northern Rocky Mountains from the "endangered" and "threatened" species lists. The rules will go into effect on May 4, 2009. Once the delisting goes into effect, the individual states where wolves will be delisted will manage their own wolf populations. The Western Great Lakes wolf delisting will encompass all of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Michigan, the eastern halves of North Dakota and South Dakota, the northern half of Iowa, the northern portions of Illinois and Indiana and the northwestern portion of Ohio. The Northern Rocky Mountain delisting will include the states of Idaho and Montana and parts of Washington, Oregon and Utah. Because of the FWS's concerns with Wyoming's wolf management plan, wolves in the state of Wyoming will retain their Endangered Species Act protections.

Anti-hunting and other groups opposed to the delistings have already notified the FWS of their intent to file suit to challenge the actions. Since 2003, Safari Club International has continuously defended the FWS wolf recovery efforts and has supported federal and state science-based management of wolves and other wildlife. SCI is currently examining its potential role in the upcoming litigation.

Posted Image SCIF and NSSF Team Up to Enhance Education Programming

Safari Club International Foundation (SCIF) and the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF) have joined efforts to bring high-tech interactive educational programming to teachers and students across America. The joint effort of NSSF and SCIF will focus on reaching educators, administrators and students about the role hunting plays in North American and international wildlife conservation and wildlife restoration. "NSSF is thrilled to team up with the SCI Foundation to help provide educators with contemporary tools for educating our nation's youth about the hunter's historic role in conservation," said NSSF President Steve Sanetti. "SCIF has established itself as a leader in the conservation education community, and this partnership enhances the strengths of our respective organizations." Read the full release at www.safariclub.org or by clicking HERE

Posted Image The Ammo Boom is No Dud

"As a growing number of gun shoppers are discovering these days, it's becoming easier to buy a gun than it is to purchase the ammunition for it. Shortages of popular handgun calibers in particular have dealers and customers fuming, and ammo makers have shifted their production lines into overdrive to keep up with the demand. How long will the "bullet bubble" last? That depends in large part on politics in Washington and in statehouses across the land, and the messages that various legislative efforts convey. Concerns over what the election of Barack Obama portends for gun owners is the main cause for the inflated demand for ammunition. In fact, since last November's election ammunition has been flying off store shelves faster than you can say "microstamping," with sales increases topping 100 percent in many areas. Gun sales ramped up by 42 percent last November, but have cooled off slightly since. From Election Day to now, the monthly sales average for firearms has been about 29 percent higher than normal. February sales tailed off a bit, to slightly more than 23 percent over average, according to sales figures compiled by the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF)." (Source: ESPN Outdoors Online) Read the full article HERE or by going to http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=4021404

Posted Image CSF Hosts First Congressional Breakfast Briefing of 2009

"The Congressional Sportsmen's Foundation, in cooperation with the National Shooting Sports Foundation, held the first Congressional Breakfast Briefing of the 111th Congress this week. The breakfast briefing focused on H.R. 510 and S. 632: The Firearms Fairness and Affordability Act, companion bills recently introduced by Congressional Sportsmen's Caucus leaders in the House and Senate, which would make it easier for firearms and ammunition manufacturers to file excise taxes that support state wildlife programs." (Source: CSF Press Release) Read the full release at www.sportsmenslink.org by clicking HERE.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 03 April 2009 - 07:07 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 07:11 AM

Thank you Rowdy, interesting read.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:01 AM

Your welcome PA!

I was wondering about the ammo deal being a local phenom or a national thing. My one brother who has a larger hand gun collection than mine was telling me about the shortage and warning me to buy now, which added to this inflated price frenzy. Heck it's even hard to find good rifle ammo now too and the prices are absolutely crazy. For instance .243 ammo is being advertised at twice what I paid for it last fall.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Loaded ammo is scarce as well as reloading components. When you can find powder, bullets, and primers there is definately an OUCH to the price. I can't even find my favorite sabots that I use in a couple of muzzleloaders. Oh well I am headed to Kansas in a week and pass by two Cabelas and hear they are pretty well stocked in what I am looking for.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users