Hunting Resource Gobblefest '09

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

Okay, folks, this is going to be far less structured than what we did for the Big Buck Contest. Let's keep it light and fun for all. I want to see feathers on the ground above all!!!

Following in the MuleDeer tradition, let's set just a few ground rules to keep it honest.
  • No need to sign-up. All regular members of the site in good standing may participate.
  • We go by your biggest spring '09 gobbler. (If you can legally take more than one per season and kill a larger gobbler with your second tag, we go by that larger gobbler if you wish.)
  • As always, three photos are needed to enter. (Hey, we have no clue what you're entering otherwise!)
    • Photo One: You with Your Bird
    • Photo Two: Close-up of Longest Spur Measurement with Tape in Place
    • Photo Three: Close-up of Longest Beard Measurement with Tape in Place
  • We need the weight of the bird.
We're not going to split hairs here, folks. Do the best you can. Nobody is going to ask (or care) if you used a certified scale or measure. (A retractable tailor's tape and digital fish scale are what I use!)

When you have all of your information gathered, use the following formula to calculate your gobbler's overall score. (Never fear. It's easy! Plus, if you've never done it before you'll be learning something new and cool all while finding a purpose for the years of mathematics they always told you would come in handy some day when you were still in school.)

Score = [Weight] + [2 X Length of Beard(s)] + [10 X (Right Spur Length + Left Spur Length)]
(All Measurements in Inches / Pounds)

If it's been a little too long since you took those math courses, what the above basically states is this...
  • Add your left and right spur length together and multiply that number by ten.
  • Add the lengths of multiple beards (if any) together and multiply that number by two.
  • Take the sums found in one and two and add them together with the weight of the turkey to get the overall gobbler score.
Below are some quick conversions for the fractions you are likely to encounter in measuring/weighing your gobbler.

1/8 Measurements
1/8 = .1250
2/8 = .2500
3/8 = .3750
4/8 = .5000
5/8 = .6250
6/8 = .7500
7/8 = .8750

1/16 Measurements
1/16 = .0625
2/16 = .1250
3/16 = .1875
4/16 = .2500
5/16 = .3125
6/16 = .3750
7/16 = .4375
8/16 = .5000
9/16 = .5625
10/16 = .6250
11/16 = .6875
12/16 = .7500
13/16 = .8125
14/16 = .8750
15/16 = .9375

Weight
1 OZ. = .0625
2 OZ. = .1250
3 OZ. = .1875
4 OZ. = .2500
5 OZ. = .3125
6 OZ. = .3750
7 OZ. = .4375
8 OZ. = .5000
9 OZ. = .5625
10 OZ. = .6250
11 OZ. = .6875
12 OZ. = .7500
13 OZ. = .8125
14 OZ. = .8750
15 OZ. = .9375

=======

I figure we will at the least give out some 808 Bowslings and coupons as prizes.
I'm also working on securing some other items. :)

Hunt Safe Everyone!

No purchase necessary. Must be 18 or older to enter. Void where prohibited by law. Contest not open to Rhode Island residents. Under no circumstances and under no legal theory shall HuntingResource.com or any other party involved in creating, producing, or delivering this web site's contents be liable to a user or any other person for any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages or loss arising from one's entry or involvement in this contest. Winner must assume responsibility for paying any tax or winnings fee that may be associated with winning this contest. HuntingResource.com reserves the right to edit contest details and/or end the contest at any time with or without due notice.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:53 PM

I hate math. Thanks for doing it for me.
Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 05:15 AM

I'm shy but maybe I'll enter one of my dinky little mountain birds in if I score. :fudd:
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:17 AM

If you all are math challanged just go to the NWTF website and use their calculator. All you have to do is type in the measurements.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Thank you Jeremiah. Been looking forward to it.

My turkey hunting starts 05/03 in New Hampshire and ends 06/06 in Maine.

I could be last..............But hopefully not least.

Good luck everyone!
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#6 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:59 AM

Question.

I killed my bird last Wednesday and have photos with my bird and my bow. I have the spurs in the freezer (off the bird) and I have the beard (also off the bird) - can I take photos of those to complete the entry requirements?

Thanks.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

Ordinarily that would be a big negative. But, like I said, we're keeping this contest low key.

As long as the photos of the bird are clear and we can tell that the pieces-parts you have in the freezer are the same ones that came off the bird by those pics you're good this time around.

As always with such things, post up what you have, folks.
The worst that can happen is the entry has to be rejected. :)

sig_admin.png

#8 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:38 PM

Will do brother Jeremiah, I will snap some photos of my spurs and beard - where do I post the pictures and score?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#9 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:51 PM

Will do brother Jeremiah, I will snap some photos of my spurs and beard - where do I post the pictures and score?

Click Here

sig_admin.png

#10 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

Well, after taking the pics and uploading I now realize there are no photos showing the bird's spurs or beard very clearly - the three I posted are the only ones we took. Sorry 'bout that. I understand if I'm disqualified - no biggie. Sure was fun finally ending the two-year drought on spring birds though - hadn't killed a spring bird with my bow since 2006. Incredible morning. Awesome hunt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users