• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

MORE THAN 100 OHIO BLACK BEAR SIGHTINGS REPORTED IN 2008

Mar 25 ODNR Division of WildlifeWritten by:
3/25/2009

MORE THAN 100 OHIO BLACK BEAR SIGHTINGS REPORTED IN 2008

ATHENS, OH One hundred-five black bear sightings were reported in 21 Ohio counties last year, according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife. Of that number, state wildlife personnel confirmed 38 of those sightings, a similar count to the 39 confirmed sightings in 2007.

The confirmed sightings of 2008 occurred in 11 different counties and involved an estimated 29 different black bears, the Division of Wildlife reported.

Sightings occurred in every month of 2008. The majority of bears were reported May through August, which is the peak of black bear breeding and dispersal of young male bears.

Twenty of the 105 sightings involved damage or nuisance behavior, such as damage to bird feeders, beehives, and garbage containers, as well as consumption of pet food. An estimated 19 bears were involved in these cases.

Most of the counties reporting bear sightings were in northeastern and southeastern Ohio. Ashtabula County led the state reporting 65 sightings.

Across the state there were three reported sightings of sows with cubs.

For comparison, in 2007 state wildlife officials confirmed 39 of a total 141 black bear sightings. The confirmed sightings were in 16 counties and involved about 19 different black bears. A record 165 bear sightings were reported in 2002.

The Division of Wildlife began formally keeping records of black bear observations in 1993. Since that time, bears have been confirmed in 46 of Ohio's 88 counties.

Efforts to monitor the black bear have been supported by the Wildlife Diversity and Endangered Species fund, which receives donations from Ohioans through the state income tax check-off program and by the purchase of cardinal license plates. Individuals wanting to donate to the fund can also donate online.
The black bear is listed as endangered in Ohio and protected by state law.

http://www.dnr.state...06/Default.aspx

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 06 April 2009 - 09:58 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

The bears are getting more numerous since the Cincinatti Kittens & Cleveland Dawgs populations have been decimated by the Steelers the past few years! :nahnah:

Edited by Phil, 06 April 2009 - 06:49 PM.

Posted Image

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 03:28 PM

The bears are getting more numerous since the Cincinatti Kittens & Cleveland Dawgs populations have been decimated by the Steelers the past few years! :nahnah:

I'd say you're right about the decimation part. :( Your name change might be in order looking at their record. Both have lost their bit. :o :doh:

The bear population is a surprise to me. The area of the sightings tends to be a part of the State where deer season is all year long according to some residences. They don't follow the State of Ohio for when deer are in or out of season for hunting so I would say bears would be no problem to poach. I had one conversation with a guy I turkey hunted with in Southern Ohio some years back that gave me a wink and knod about a bear that was last seen on his families back woods property.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 Joe

Joe

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

Kentucky is going to have a 2 day black bear hunt Dec19th and 20th in three eastern counties a very limited hunt. Our elk season is growing in leaps and bounds.

MR300WM
MR300WM

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:16 PM

There are some really really big elk in Kentucky now!

As far as bears in Ohio go. I'm a little worried that it the wrong thing for that state.
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:24 AM

There are some really really big elk in Kentucky now!

As far as bears in Ohio go. I'm a little worried that it the wrong thing for that state.

I have had my eye on the elk hunting in Kentucky for the past three years. It has been growing by leaps and bounds. One day it will be the place for an elk hunt.

Leo that's kinda where I was headed. Ohio is not a great place for a large population to be maintained. We have some open country like government parks in very limited parts of the State but not enough to be good for a growing bear population. Those parks tend to be heavily used. Boars like to have large areas to wonder through checking on the sows and Ohio does not have that sort of large tracks of land in my opinion. Bear and people conflicts would probably occur at a frequency that the bears would be the losers and that was my point earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users