• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:40 PM

Had worked two long beards from 200 to 60 yards Sunday evening. It was a good show watching them work across that much open field. I was calling for my buddy Mike and we already had 4 jakes within 45 yards. It was one of those they are coming, we got'em moments.

Suddenly they all freak out! Turkeys running everywhere, including right past us. No chance to shoot.

What the heck? Neither of us had budged. Mike was set up 15 yards in front and I was watching him and the birds.

We look at each other dismayed. Get up, pick up our stuff and head out. That's when we see what spooked the turkeys. 15 wild hogs. I do not like these things. And now I get to add screwing up a good hunt to that list of reasons.

My buddy Aubrey had managed to get three the evening before. So I didn't think they'd come back the very next evening. Wrong!

Here's Mike with the three Aubrey got. Sure didn't expect them to mess up a turkey hunt the very next day.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

That is a lot of sausage right there. What I really thought you were going to remark on was how Larry acts around a box of HoHos. :D :D
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:43 AM

Too bad about the turkey hunt being screwed over by those invaders. Deflating situation in one hand but you might be eating that other white meat by the looks of that picture.

Those are true feral hogs. They look like they have been feral all their lives. Leo have you thought about hunting them? It be a meat hunt more than a trophy hunt and be fun taking the herd down.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

It is said that you cannot completely rid an area of those four legged pests but it sure would be fun to take a few.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 10:14 AM

Trust me the novelty wears off quickly and it turns into war. :(
Posted Image

#6 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:09 PM

Trust me the novelty wears off quickly and it turns into war. :(

That's what some Ohio farmers have said about an infestation of feral hogs on their farms in a local paper. But they don't want any hunters on their land, they want to take the war on themselves. :hmm:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 08 April 2009 - 02:10 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 02:40 PM

That's what some Ohio farmers have said about an infestation of feral hogs on their farms in a local paper. But they don't want any hunters on their land, they want to take the war on themselves. :hmm:

Let's say that farmer announces in the local paper that he needs help from hunters to control a feral hog infestation.

How many helpers you think he's gonna get calls from?
Posted Image

#8 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I am waiting to hear from a farmer here now. Been almost a week. Was told he would let me hunt the hogs but not the deer.

#9 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:34 AM

Let's say that farmer announces in the local paper that he needs help from hunters to control a feral hog infestation.

How many helpers you think he's gonna get calls from?

I talked to the Ohio game warden at the Ohio Deer and Turkey show about feral hogs locations trying to get some more info this past March. He told me one farmer in Southern Ohio did run an add in his local paper. He gave only his phone number in the ad to respond to it. The next day he got about a dozen guys show up at his farm asking for permission to hunt. The farmer turned away almost all of them. And I have to agree with his thinking. I was asking the game warden about the feral hogs in the State parks I have been told about and he said there is some talk about letting hunters in to them for a hog hunt.

#10 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 08:35 AM

I am waiting to hear from a farmer here now. Been almost a week. Was told he would let me hunt the hogs but not the deer.

Frank if you need some help :evilgrin: I'll help sling some arrows at them with you guys. :rolleyes: And what ever I kill I'll we can split it. ;)

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 09 April 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#11 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Rowdy, still waiting but I will let you know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users