5 replies to this topic

#1 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 10:11 AM

I picked up a Mathews Monster demo bow this year at the local dealers while having a new string put on my Drenalin. I had read so much ahead of time that I was very interested in it. After shooting it I was very impressed by it. The dual cam technology is a very well established design and what McPherson has done with the Monster looks like a strong improvement. Specs on the Monster bow are listed as:
IBO Rating:up to 353 fps, Axle-to-Axle:33.5", Brace Height:6" , Draw Weight:40 - 80lbs, Bow Weight:4.4 lbs, Let-off:80%, Draw Lengths:25" - 30" , Half Sizes:25.5" - 29.5

My impression after shooting the demo bow at 60# I knew this did not draw back as other dual cam bows I have shot before. The draw force curve on this bow for me starts off steep and smooth getting into some weight of the draw quickly. It then peaks and stays flattens smoothly out at the weight till the dual cams roll over and it drops fast into the valley or let off till you hit a most definite wall. The wall is solid with very little give to it. I found if you give any into it even just a little bit at full draw the bow will pull you into a let-down. You will soon learn not to relax at full draw with this bow and I find that to be a good thing. The feeling of the shot in my hands was not uncomfortable and it didn't jump. The bow seems real steady.

I was sold on it like I have been with the solo cam technology of Mathews. I put down my money to order one and got it two weeks later. I ordered a 70# at 28" draw in camo realtree Ap finish. I set it up at 65# to get use to it plus getting arrow spines to better match it's force.

I accessoried mine with a 808s bowsling, Spot Hogg real deal sight, Mathews Down Force rest, G5 Meta 1/4" peep sight, a Stealth Stabilizer with Sims stab. Enhancer, Sims super quad LimbSavers, a Bow Rattler STS and Tree Limb premium 5 arrow quiver. Most of this came from another bow so it was very easy to setup.

Posted Image

After getting it home I did a walk back tuning on it. This was the easiest bow I have ever tuned and was on target at 20 yards and then out to 40 yards in no time. The Mathews Down Force rest has taken this job on with ease in my opinion.

Last evening I took my Radarchrono and set it up on this bow to test it and see if it is on IBO speeds. I shot four different grain arrow with different spines.

The Easton flatline 400 spine weighed out at 352 grains and it averaged out at 319 fps. That's what I calculated my setup would be in using the IBO test of 350 grains. The next arrow was a Easton Epic n-fused 340 Spine and it weighed in at 425 grains with a speed at 297 fps. That's calculated at 83.23 foot pounds or Kenetic energy. The next one was a Gold Tip Pro Hunter 75/95 weighing at 445 grains and it was at 290 FPS or 83.09 K.E.. I got a test done on a BlackHawk Vapor Pro HUNTER 5000 that weighed in at 500 grains and it was at 274 FPS and it is 83.34 K.E..

This amount of energy or K.E. is a grand increase from my other fast bows. I will say it has no ill affect on my accuracy. My groupings so far with this setup have been very good in my opinion out to 40 yards and will hopefully be doing out past that distance soon. I have shot a fixed blade broadhead from this bow out to 40 yards and they have centered in a 3" circle more than once.

If you have not shot one go give one a test run. This bow like others have said it is not for everyone but it is a darn good one. :yes: :yes: :bigthumb:

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 11 April 2009 - 12:59 PM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

Good review....thanks Mark....those limbs sure look short. :) sweet set up.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#3 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

Good review....thanks Mark....those limbs sure look short. :) sweet set up.

"Those limbs sure look short." McBruce it really doesn't get notice by me now. At first it did. On Mathews Forum there has been maybe one guy who has been snapped hard on his forearm from the short limbs or brace height. I think it was more a personal thing and his form than it's the bow. Some of the guys have the STS on their Monster, most do, and some don't. Today just about ever bow maker is supplying one on their new bow line. I have one on it and I think it helps me from the string slap on the sleeve and helps quiet it down. I can sit in a chair and draw this bow no problem.

Your LX might have found a challenger in the woods with the kenetic energy this bow has. It does weigh more setup and that can make for a problem trapsing around those mountains with it compared to the LX. But a 60# Monster would probably out do the 68# LX on K.E. - Just a thought. Elk don't stand a chance in my opinion at K.E. of 83 foot pounds. :yes:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#4 WayneBizzle

WayneBizzle

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:10 AM

Very nice review and a great looking set-up. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on the Monster, and most of the less positive have come from Mathews shooters who just aren't able to cope with the dual cams right off. They take some getting used to, but in the end it is what I prefer.
Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:10 AM

Thanks Wayne. There has been some shooters that don't have the muscle memory for a dual cam and I was one. That's the part that you have to build up to get use to this bow. Still 65 # is 65# but my 68# solo cam bows draw just the same. The 3# difference to me is now feeling the same.

I just went slow and steady. So I did not get hurt or discouraged with myself. I will say this about it there is very little room for the so called forgiveness factor with the Monster. When I am on and my form is good this bow is deadly on. I get sloppy with my attention to form and I'm not even close or what I consider close.

I was out last night in between rain down pours and I shot a dozen at 45 yards and it is grouping at 3" very nicely. I am planning on shooting 50 yards and possibly 60 yards this weekend. Plus I want to try a broadhead at those yardages.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 25 April 2009 - 10:56 AM.

#6 RickyM

RickyM

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 10:20 PM

It looks GREAT! :clap:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users