• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 12:55 PM

I can't hardly believe I'm bashing a Linksys product. Typically Linksys is a safe bet and super solid. Honestly, hardware wise I believe this router (WRT160N V2) is in fact solid but firmware wise it's a piece of junk!

This thing has a pretty stable wireless connection but wired it's a disaster. I've downloaded the newest firmware and flashed it. It still stinks. The Linksys firmware is a real turd. It throws exceptions constantly and you have to repair and reboot the router over and over. I'm really getting sick of it!

I hope DD WRT writes a new firmware for this thing soon. I can't return it and right now it's a real pain. Wireless N function on this thing is pretty good but wired this thing is a pathetic piece of junk!

Like I said it's firmware related so eventually it will work fine but I wouldn't recommend this thing until they actually have some firmware that's worth a darn.

I'm miffed at Linksys. And they deserve it!
Posted Image

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

I haven't read one good review on their Wireless N Routers since they hit the market.
I'm hanging on to my Linksys G's for a while. :unsure:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

I was wondering what would be a good router that I can hook up wireless and to the desktop any suggestions while were on the subject?
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#4 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 05:49 PM

I haven't read one good review on their Wireless N Routers since they hit the market.
I'm hanging on to my Linksys G's for a while. :unsure:

I don't get it. Up until now Linksys has been a slamdunk for networking hardware. They have had firmware issues in the past but downloading a new firmware from their site has always solved the problems.

For some reason they can't get it together on this one. I'm suspicious it's a new chipset their programmers don't understand yet.

Wireless function on this thing is more stable than other wireless routers I've messed with in the past.

In short I don't know what to recommend at this point Irinman. This isn't typical for Linksys.
Posted Image

#5 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

I was wondering what would be a good router that I can hook up wireless and to the desktop any suggestions while were on the subject?

The Linksys Wireless G routers are still rock solid.
(MUCH better than anything by Dlink, Belkin, or the like.)

Wireless N is the "latest and greatest". They provide faster D/L and better range.
But, at this point, I just think it's like Leo said.

One other note, Wireless N still isn't "officially" a recognized standard the last time I checked. So, I'm definitely sticking with G until this whole thing pans out. (I got burned before jumping on board with RAMBUS which was supposed to be the "latest and greatest" RAM technology a few years back. Not looking to make that mistake again. LOL)

sig_admin.png

#6 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

well heres the thing we have the laptop(wireless) and then we have a desktop(wired at the moment) getting a new computer for a job working from home on internet along with the Xbox 360 that I want to be able to get all on the same cable modem problem is running cat 5 or getting wireless and addapters for them all (xbox is 100 by itself) so trying to network basicall my whole house
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#7 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:05 PM

I can sit on the porch with my laptop or PDA using a Linksys Wireless G (Model: WRT54G) upstairs.
Oh, and the router is still capable of going faster than my Internet connection can. I figure you should be cool. But, if you can wait... I think N will eventually become the standard.

sig_admin.png

#8 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:30 PM

I agree. "N" is most likely to be the new standard.

The "N" routers are backwards compatible to "G". But I will continue to contend that the firmware available for the new linksys "N" routers is flawed! I am pretty confident they will eventually fix this but if not, no more Linksys for me.

I'm kinda miffed!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users