5 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:03 PM

Last year I bought a 4X12 RWS (so it says) scope for my new air rifle. I bought it off ebay and it was advertised as "NIB". I've been having one heck of a time trying to sight the brute in as the shots keep flying all over the target. I'd had some issues with the scope mounts coming loose and am considering getting a one piece scope mount with multiple set screws with verticcal stop pins to keep the mud puppy in place.

Anyhow, I haven't gotten the one piece mount yet, but over the weekend, I headed out to my club's rifle range and sighted in a couple guns. A .22 RF and my .22 cal pellet rifle. I was doing great with the .22 RF and was grouping them alright after a few shots after some adjustments. But low and behold, that darn pellet rifle just kept flinging those pellets all over the place, sometimes varying 6" from shot to shot with no consistancy whatsoever. I thought that I'd had the scope mounts secured reasonably well and had even found the vertical stop pins to keep it from falling off the back of the dovetail rail and had tightened the set screws to the point that if I tightened them any more, they were going to strip. I fired about 20 shots and then tried to wiggle the scope to see if it was loose, but it seemed to be rigid.

I was wondering if anyone had ever had any experience with RWS scopes, or if they ever made them. I'm wondering if I ended up with a cheap knock-off (counterfiet) on ebay with no recourse in the event that the reticles have come loose. I've read the papers that came with it, but it makes no mention of a warranty from the company so I'm starting to think that 'ol TBow got shafted! :doh: :curse:

I was also wondering if the pellets that I was using might not be working that well too and may actually be part of the problem. They're good quality pellets, but the configuration at the speeds that this gun shoots at might not be a match. I'm just grasping at straws here and will likely get the one piece scope mounts and try that, but they're running around $50 to $75. I just don't want to throw more good money at a bad situation. If the scope ends up being junk, I'll likely end up paying 2 to 3 times what I paid for the original one. When am I going to learn that it pay$ to buy quality right up front!

How's that go, "You can pay me now! Or you can pay me later!"

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

There's a lot of reasons that could be causing your problem. Unfortunatly you'll probably have to go down the list and eliminate them one by one. First off, I'd be suspicious of the scope. Jason tried talking me into buying a scope for my Optima Pro off Ebay. I probably could have gotten a great buy on a Bushnell Banner but I've just heard of too many stories of ripoffs, complete with good knockoff packaging identical to the real deal. If possible, and you remember the name of who you bought it from and they have other things listed, check their feedback to see how legit they are. Even if they are legit, you could have just been unlucky enough to get a bum scope defective from the company that made it. I think I'd try another scope on the gun, and eliminate guessing. Here's a thought, how does the gun shoot without the scope on it with just iron sights? If it still sprays them all over then you know it's not the scope. If it shoots accurately then you know the scope is junk. Simple as that. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 14 April 2009 - 04:47 PM.

#3 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:01 PM

I was gon'na pull the scope off of it yesterday at the range to try the iron sites, but unforunately I forgot to bring a set of allen wrenches. I had some pliers, but didn't want to damage things, so I figured I'd wait 'till next weekend and try it again.

I think I'll still order a single scope mount with multiple set screws, as I'm gon'na need it for any scope I buy anyways.

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#4 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have many, Firearms, reloading, Air Rifles, striving for accuracy too, Scopes, target & tactical shooting, being a Dedicated Marksman. Archery [a long time ago], Dry Fly fishing, backpacking and wilderness camping [a while in the past, went through Boy Scouts. Very Patriotic and Conservative, no military service due to a very bad auto accident in 1965, more than willing to take up Arms in defense of this Great Nation if the need arises]! Photography, sports cars, leaning toward a truck or suv for the comfort. And last but not least is the shared experiences on the forum!

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:58 PM

I was gon'na pull the scope off of it yesterday at the range to try the iron sites, but unforunately I forgot to bring a set of allen wrenches. I had some pliers, but didn't want to damage things, so I figured I'd wait 'till next weekend and try it again.

I think I'll still order a single scope mount with multiple set screws, as I'm gon'na need it for any scope I buy anyways.

Geoff / TBow

Hi TBow,

I'm a new guy here but I'm also having similiar problems with my Benjamin NP .177 and think it might also be the Center Point 3-9 x40 that came with it too and hence have a new scope on the way right now, a Leapers 3-12 x44 EZ Tap with 30mm tube & SWAT [Side Focusing] etc plus their quick release scope mounts, but as this thread is as old as it is I would imagine the issue is possibly resolved at this point ??

From what you wrote about the Scope moving, from the recoil I would imagine, it sounds like you have a Springer Air Rifle and from what I have found out there can be a number of reasons as to why the shots are going all over. Actually we could start a thread on just this subject alone due to all the variances that can and do take place. The Springers as well as the NP's, Nitro Pistons, due produce a heck of a lot back and forth recoil that can damage many scopes. The Leapers TS Platform is supposed to resolve that problem and I'll find out first hand shortly.

I've heard too that different air rifles prefer various pellets which becomes a trial and error thing which may be one facet of the problem your having as well as myself too but every now and then I get some fairly consistant grouping? On another forum they seemed to say that Gamo pellets usually weren't too good but I haven't had enough experience with them to really know. Different pellets shot from the same rifle will group differently and not always where the prior brand did.

I also, cleaned my break barrel using a copper bore brush and cleanning solvent to ensure it was clean from the start and some of the guys on another forum made a big issue that was the wrong thing to do but I don't buy into that line of thinking as they seemed to think the copper bore brush was going to scratch the Steal barrel which is ridiculous and the farthest thing from the truth. Anyway my barrel was rather dirty looking when I first got my Benjamin but beautifully shinny with all the lans & groves promently showing when I was through.

I'm Shooting Crosman Hunter pellets but beginning to wonder if there is a fair weight difference among them as that could have an effect on their flight and I sometimes have fairly erradict shots too even though I'm using a bench rest to shoot from at a distance of about 35 yrds. So don't feel like your the only one having this kind of problem as I've heard it from other guys too.
I'm a very firm believer in Gun Control!!
You and you alone are the only one that should be in control of your Guns!!

#5 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:22 PM

I'd try some different pellets, Geoff. We had the same problem when I was working in the sporting goods store after I broke my back. Customers were coming back and complaining about accuracy issues.The high velocity air rifles were very erratic. Eventually you should find a compatible pellet. Try to find something a little heavier.

#6 FtHillSnipe

FtHillSnipe

Moving Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Interests:I have many, Firearms, reloading, Air Rifles, striving for accuracy too, Scopes, target & tactical shooting, being a Dedicated Marksman. Archery [a long time ago], Dry Fly fishing, backpacking and wilderness camping [a while in the past, went through Boy Scouts. Very Patriotic and Conservative, no military service due to a very bad auto accident in 1965, more than willing to take up Arms in defense of this Great Nation if the need arises]! Photography, sports cars, leaning toward a truck or suv for the comfort. And last but not least is the shared experiences on the forum!

Posted 29 June 2011 - 03:31 PM

To: TBow & RedGreen, I always liked that show!

As RedGreen said TBow some different pellets may help but interestingly enough from what I just found out, that in and of itself may not be the answer. As I said before I/ve been shoot Crosman Hunter pellets with my Benjamin NP but also getting erratic results. So I started weighing the pellets using my RCBS Range Master electronic scale and found a considerable variance between various pellets which of course will change their flight. Using an egg carton I marked several of the compartments with different weights as they came up during the weighing process. For the .177 Hunters 7.5 grns is the most common then 7.4 but the spread went fro 7.4 to 8.1 which would surely fly differently assuming the pressure of the air rifle is fairly constant which it should be but it wouldn't hurt to also check the Oring seal on the barrel to ensure it still pliable & sealing good especially if the rifle isn't fairly new.

Mainly by weighing the pellets on an electronic scale, which should be zeroed fairly often till it's warmed up for awhile, and grouping your pellets by weight that will take one of the possible variences out of the equation.

Also if by chance your rifle is like mine I have no iron sights on it at all and have to rely on the scope. This can also present another problem if the Pivot bolt/screw isn't tightened up very firmly then there can possibly be a shift in barrel alignment with your scope. Also be sure all the stock screws that hold the action in place are good and tight.

The scope also enters into the picture if it isn't holding zero as expected which may be the case with the Center Point I have but not sure as they are supposed to be fairly decent. I do know this though that Leapers appears to produce the Center/Point line as I saw a new CP scope that had the exact same EZ Tap illuminated reticle controls
like Leapers scopes use.

Another very good feature that Leapers offers, IMHO, are two different size Big Wheels that attach onto the side focus turret knob allowing easy focusing with the supporting fingers.
I'm a very firm believer in Gun Control!!
You and you alone are the only one that should be in control of your Guns!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users