27 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:38 PM

Just wondering, what is your favorite species to hunt and why? If you'd have asked me just a few short years ago I'd have said Whitetails but any more there is one I've realy come to love....Wild Turkey. Spring is my favorite time of year to begin with. Red Buds, Dogwoods, peach, pear and apple trees blooming. Wild flowers popping up and adding color every where. Just a wonderous time to be in the woods watching Mother Earth come alive. Who could sit in such a setting watching the sun come up and hearing the gobble of a Wild Turkey and not get excited? It never fails to give me goosebumps! I know it's not like hunting some exotic animal like in Africa or some game ranch, nor a big rack to hang on the wall, but it is just such an awesome thrill! Matching wits with a critter than has outstanding eyesight, and that can out smart even the best hunters at times, is a challenge I look forward to even more than deer season. :hunter: Yep, my number 1 pick is Wild Turkey. And yes, I'm a proud member of the NWTF. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 23 April 2009 - 04:39 PM.

#2 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:44 PM

Dangerous game. I am a huge fan of bear and mt. lion hunting. I guess I really enjoy hunting animals that can hunt me back...haha. Mt. Lion hunting is also one of the most physically taxing hunts through some of God's most rugged and beautiful country, which makes it extremely gratifying. I would have to say that Africa will probably change my mind, although I have to wait until next May to give you a verdict. I think cape buff, lions, leopards, and elephants (oh my) would be the ultimate for me.
Sean Whipple
PSE staff
It's not a passion, it's an obsession. ~Mossy Oak

#3 808XT

808XT

Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, computers

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:43 PM

I don't get to hunt much here. On Oahu, it's pretty much feral hogs and goats. However, when I visit the in-laws on Maui, my favorite hunting is, without a doubt, Axis deer. Since there is no season set up for deer, you are permitted to hunt them anytime on private land.

I enjoy whitetail deer hunting when I get the opportunity which is usually only once a year. Not nearly enough to satisfy the urges to hunt. :D It's too expensive for me to be flying all over the country to hunt other types of game. :(

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

Elk
the challenge, the beauty, don't care if its rife or bow...ELK all the way.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

My favorite species to hunt is something I haven't hunted before!

I can have a new favorite every couple years or so. There is a whole world of stuff out there. I dream big!
Posted Image

#6 runNgun

runNgun

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,835 posts
  • Interests:Waterfowl, Deer, Ice fishing

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

I like deer hunting, but I would have to say my favorite is pheasant hunting. I love walking through the tall grass and hearing the cackle of a rooster 5 feet in front of me...
-Eric

#7 woodhick

woodhick

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

Our state state bird the ruffed grouse. I just love hunting these little tunderbirds. Fast action and just a whole lot of fun. They never fly in a straight line.

#8 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  • Interests:Long walks in the woods carrying heavy equpment in poor weather. I live to hunt...other than that I am a full-time PhD student in entomology.

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:34 PM

My favorite species to hunt is something I haven't hunted before!

I can have a new favorite every couple years or so. There is a whole world of stuff out there. I dream big!

I agree Leo, I rarely hunt the same thing twice unless it is my yearly deer/turkey ritual. Keep your dreams big and your worries small!
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:25 PM

I'll agree that getting to hunt something you never have before is an awesome exsperience. My trip to Wyoming with Dave proved that to me beyond a doubt. But had I not won the trip I'd never have been able to go on it. I'm sure Jason's trip to hunt Mule Deer with RL will be every bit as exciting as well and it does my heart good knowing my son will get to exsperience something so grand. Hunting Mule Deer has long been a dream of mine. Jason's the biggest hearted and hardest working person I've ever known, bar none. Unfortunately, in both cases for us, it's once in a lifetime trips. With Jason his work seriously limits his free time. As a Certified Executive Bodygaurd, and Supervisor for the main security firm in the area, his work has to come first. With me it's my health. I never know from one day to the next what I'm able to do and travel has become a real effort. Then too, I'd be lieing if I didn't say money is a big issue as well and I'm sure many are kept from such hunts for the very same reasons, work, health or lack of money. Unfortunately sometimes thinking big requires a big wallet. So I chose Wild Turkey for a variety of reasons. They are very challenging to hunt, and you'll have to admit, Jason and I go after big mature birds and our record of kills show it. Jason has killed 9 Gobblers so far and has yet to kill one under 20 lbs. I'm not quite that lucky, my smallest was 15 lbs but it had 1 1/2" spurs and a 12" beard and was my very first gobbler so was every bit the trophy to me. Choosing only to shoot such birds makes it all the more fun and challenging and helps to improve the local flocks. Then you have the setting. Who doesn't love a beautiful Spring morning and the thunder of a big mature gobbler as he answers your call. The thrill of knowing one wrong move or sound by you can cause him to run the oposite direction and possibly never be seen again. The challenge of outwitting a call wise bird has no equal. The thrill of seeing one all fanned out, his feathers throwing colors in the sunlight makes my heart soar. The satisfaction of matching wits and coming out the winner and the reward of one of the tastiest meals of any game you can name certainly has it's apeal too. And best of all you don't have to travel far, you don't have to spend a lot of money and the hunt can be shared with a friend as few other hunts can. Jason and I have scored three doubles and I'm not too ashamed to tell you that there were lots of hugs, pats on the backs and jumping up and down after each time. I guess there's one more reason too. Hunting turkeys, like hunting deer, is a steadfast tradition that goes back way before the first Europian first set foot on Turtle Island. Wild Turkeys were so admired by the Tsalagi Aniyunwiya Kituhwagi ( Cherokee ) that the turkey gobble was my ancestors war cry. If you're able to hunt where, when, and what you want then go for it and enjoy every second. But for me, the Wild Turkey is something I can count on to get my heart pumping and thrill me as much as anything on earth each and every hunt. :) I'm sure too, that like with young Eric, hunting game that is local just has a tradition clinging to it that makes it special like nothing else can. And I can sure see how Bruce loves Elk. It's similar to why I love turkeys. The scenery and the sound of one sounding off just gives a guy goosebumps. Hunting game that can fight back is also easy to understand the thrill of. I aplaud anyone who has the oportunity to hunt something that thrills them to the bone. No matter what the species nor where, because the species may be differant but that heart thumping thrill is the same!

Edited by Spirithawk, 10 May 2009 - 05:17 PM.

#10 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:09 PM

I'll agree that getting to hunt something you never have before is an awesome exsperience. My trip to Wyoming with Dave proved that to me beyond a doubt. But had I not won the trip I'd never have been able to go on it. I'm sure Jason's trip to hunt Mule Deer with RL will be every bit as exciting as well and it does my heart good knowing my son will get to exsperience something so grand. Hunting Mule Deer has long been a dream of mine. Jason's the biggest hearted and hardest working person I've ever known, bar none. Unfortunately, in both cases for us, it's once in a lifetime trips. With Jason his work seriously limits his free time. As a Certified Executive Bodygaurd, and Supervisor for the main security firm in the area, his work has to come first. With me it's my health. I never know from one day to the next what I'm able to do and travel has become a real effort. Then too, I'd be lieing if I didn't say money is a big issue as well and I'm sure many are kept from such hunts for the very same reasons, work, health or lack of money. Unfortunately sometimes thinking big requires a big wallet. So I chose Wild Turkey for a variety of reasons. They are very challenging to hunt, and you'll have to admit, Jason and I go after big mature birds and our record of kills show it. Jason has killed 9 Gobblers so far and has yet to kill one under 20 lbs. I'm not quite that lucky, my smallest was 15 lbs but it had 1 1/2" spurs and a 12" beard and was my very first gobbler so was every bit the trophy to me. Choosing only to shoot such birds makes it all the more fun and challenging and helps to improve the local flocks. Then you have the setting. Who doesn't love a beautiful Spring morning and the thunder of a big mature gobbler as he answers your call. The thrill of knowing one wrong move or sound by you can cause him to run the oposite direction and possibly never be seen again. The challenge of outwitting a call wise bird has no equal. The thrill of seeing one all fanned out, his feathers throwing colors in the sunlight makes my heart soar. The satisfaction of matching wits and coming out the winner and the reward of one of the tastiest meals of any game you can name certainly has it's apeal too. And best of all you don't have to travel far, you don't have to spend a lot of money and the hunt can be shared with a friend as few other hunts can. Jason and I have scored three doubles and I'm not too ashamed to tell you that there were lots of hugs, pats on the backs and jumping up and down after each time. I guess there's one more reason too. Hunting turkeys, like hunting deer, is a steadfast tradition that goes back way before the first Europian first set foot on Turtle Island. Wild Turkeys were so admired by the Tsalagi Aniyunwiya Kituhwagi ( Cherokee ) that the turkey gobble was my ancestors war cry. If you're able to hunt where, when, and what you want then go for it and enjoy every second. But for me, the Wild Turkey is something I can count on to get my heart pumping and thrill me as much as anything on earth each and every hunt. :) I'm sure too, that like with young Eric, hunting game that is local just has a tradition clinging to it that makes it special like nothing else can. And I can sure see how Bruce loves Elk. It's similar to why I love turkeys. The scenery and the sound of one sounding off just gives a guy goosebumps. Hunting game that can fight back is also easy to understand the thrill of. I aplaud anyone who has the opotunity to hunt something that thrills them to the bone. No matter what the species nor where, because the species may be differant but that heart thumping thrill is the same!

Believe me, everything I hunt gives me the same thrill! :D If hunting ever stops giving me a thrill I will quit doing it. Turkeys are awesome, and that is really an accomplishment that you can kill giant gobblers year after year! I think the beard on your smallest gobbler is bigger than the beard from my largest....they must grow em' big out there!
Jason will have a great time with R.L....guaranteed. I enjoyed hunting with him very much and the views in Arizona will take your breath away. Good luck to all of you in pursuing your game of choice this spring and fall!
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:21 PM

I'm hoping my health will allow me to go with Jason. Always wanted to see Arizona. :D

#12 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:51 PM

Toss up between jackalope and turducken.

;)

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#13 Whip

Whip

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

Toss up between jackalope and turducken.

;)

Come to Nebraska, I would be happy to take you snipe hunting :o)
Sean Whipple
PSE staff

#14 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 26 April 2009 - 10:13 PM

Come to Nebraska, I would be happy to take you snipe hunting :o)

I'll bring the pillow case, you bring the flashlight. :D

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#15 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:43 PM

I'll bring the pillow case, you bring the flashlight. :D

I'll run the video camera for this hunt :lol:
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users