• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 07:04 AM

I thought I would share my adventures in Oklahoma. I had a super fun time there April 25th and 26th, 2009. Enjoy!

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=1170901&da=y
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#2 bonecollector34

bonecollector34

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 10:31 AM

Nice skinny nice

BC

Martyupdatedsignature2-1.jpg
Prostaff.jpg

#3 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Huck; Great write up on a windy action packed adventure. Too bad on the piggy loss, those things happen unfortunately. The coyotes will have a happy lunch. Nice photos of the countryside and gooblers. Glad you had a safe journey. HH in Pa :boone:

#4 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:29 PM

Glad you had fun and a safe trip. Thanks for sharing your adventure. :D

#5 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Great hunt Will !!! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#6 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:41 AM

It appears pigs are becoming a more frequently encountered beast in your pursuits. They ruined a hunt for me this year.

I'm on the depredation permit. I'm gonna go after the problem.

Sounds like you may have had the turkeys gobbling on the roost too much and got them limb-locked. In my experience the worse thing you can do with a hot gobbler is have him gobble repeatedly while he's still on the roost. We aren't the only things in the woods that are interested in a gobble. One that fires off repeatedly from a tree will invariably attract a live hen. They seem to know this and won't fly down until they actually see her. I do the majority of my calling after I'm certain the bird has flown down ;)

Edited by Leo, 05 May 2009 - 10:41 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:41 PM

It appears pigs are becoming a more frequently encountered beast in your pursuits. They ruined a hunt for me this year.

I'm on the depredation permit. I'm gonna go after the problem.

Sounds like you may have had the turkeys gobbling on the roost too much and got them limb-locked. In my experience the worse thing you can do with a hot gobbler is have him gobble repeatedly while he's still on the roost. We aren't the only things in the woods that are interested in a gobble. One that fires off repeatedly from a tree will invariably attract a live hen. They seem to know this and won't fly down until they actually see her. I do the majority of my calling after I'm certain the bird has flown down ;)

Agree with Leo completely. I'll make a couple soft tree calls, then after a few minutes will rapidly slap my hat against my leg 1/2 dozen times to imitate a flydown. Immediately I'll turn in direction away from the gobbler and call as though the hen is heading away. This has worked well on a few of the gobblers I've harvested.

Edited by Phil, 05 May 2009 - 03:42 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users