2 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:17 AM

At what range do you guys prefer to take the shot on a turkey? What is the maximum range? I shoot 3" hevi shot but never tested it past 30 yrds.

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:42 PM

Once the bird gets inside 50 yards I'm trying to get a shot. I know my gun will kill with certainty inside that range. I prefer to not let the birds get closer than 35 yards. Inside 35 things get much more risky. It's magnitudes more likely something will go wrong if they get super close. The bird is much more likely to spook and your margin for error has shrunk considerably. A nervous bird plus a tight pattern can easily turn into a miss. The closest I've ever shot one was under 10 yards. I was very lucky to get that bird. He snuck in from behind my right side. There was no earlier opportunity to take him. Under 10 yards is also the distance I have completely missed.

Knowing how your gun patterns from 15 yards to max range is crucial to success. You haven't got the bird until you're standing on his head. Don't guess! Know what your gun does. It's absolutely worth it.
Posted Image

#3 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:25 PM

I prefer the bird to be 25 yds or more when I shoot. My max distance is set by me not my equipment. 40 yds is my max but I can kill at 50 or more. There are too many different shotshells and too many different choke tubes to say a max and as Leo said min distance. I missed one at 12 steps this spring in Kansas due to having a red dot sight on the shotgun which made it shoot low and I did not aim high enough.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users