7 replies to this topic

#1 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:24 PM

What is your favorit decoys to use (brand/model ect.) and how to do you use them...i.e hens only or hens & jake, how many hens......

#2 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

I'm currently using Delta Decoys. I bought the two hens and a jake set probably 10 years ago now. (They were foam. I bought a newer set made out of heavier gauge rubber probably 5 years ago.) I also have the Breeding Jake though I rarely run it.

They may not be the most realistic, that distinction goes to Dave Smith Decoys, but they are better than most, durable, and pretty affordable.

I replaced the beard on my jake with a real jake beard. (Just epoxied it on there.) I'm always amazed at how they hold a turkey's attention. I've also had hunters take a knee and raise a gun at them too. So, they must be decently realistic. (Thankfully they have always realized they were fake before shooting. A Dave Smith may just not be figured out in time!)

My next purchase will likely be a Peep'n Tom to which I will add a real jake fan.

In whatever you decide, always remember that while running a jake decoy with a hen or two can all but assure you that a mature tom will come running if he sees your set, it can also just as easily scare off any immature gobblers in the area that see it. (Don't shoot jakes and then you have no worries. :P )

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:48 PM

I use 1 or 2 hens with a jake slightly behind them. To be honest I use to do equally well using a single cheap foam hen....before Seth's Black Lab pup torn it to pieces. That gave me an excuse to buy a couple better looking decoys.
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

I use inflatable decoys but do not remember the brand name. These are very realistic. I have two hens, one alert and one feeding and two Jakes. I have put them all out on occasion but usually only put out a hen or two hens or a hen and a jake. I hav had them run in and also run away. Jake decoys will work unless the longbeard was whipped by a group of jakes. Such a long beard will most likely not come to anything. Had this happen last year. Mine are pretty tough as two years ago a hen attacked my feeding hen decoy so viciously she tore the stake out of the ground which I had to initially pound into the ground with a rock.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#5 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

No one believes me but I really think a single jake can be devastating under the right conditions. For the most part though I think commercial jake decoys have way too much red in them. I always repaint mine.

As far as hen decoys go. Here's a tip, use feeding hens or a "hot" hen. The upright "classic" hens tend to cause hung up birds. The gobbler seems to always come in "wondering" what they(the decoys) are "looking" at.

Strutter Decoys are either awesome or tragic mistakes. Sometimes the birds pile right in and sometimes they run like heck. When they work they really work but when they don't you really hate them!
Posted Image

#6 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

No one believes me but I really think a single jake can be devastating under the right conditions. For the most part though I think commercial jake decoys have way too much red in them. I always repaint mine.

As far as hen decoys go. Here's a tip, use feeding hens or a "hot" hen. The upright "classic" hens tend to cause hung up birds. The gobbler seems to always come in "wondering" what they(the decoys) are "looking" at.

Strutter Decoys are either awesome or tragic mistakes. Sometimes the birds pile right in and sometimes they run like heck. When they work they really work but when they don't you really hate them!

My decoys came with a feeding hen, an upright hen and a jake.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 12:33 PM

I suggest for the most part leave the upright hen at home. They will work, I'm not saying they won't but in my experience I've had more negative responses and hung up birds with an upright hen than any other deke.
Posted Image

#8 Whitetiger

Whitetiger

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 09 May 2009 - 08:56 PM

Thanks guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users