Score!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:55 PM

Not the good kind though.
:doh2: :doh2: :doh2: :doh2: :doh2: :doh2: :doh2:

No pics... Please, I couldn't bring myself to take one. But, I killed a huge tree today with a Magnus Bullhead. (Left a nice three-blade mark and everything, Bruce. LOL)

The gobbler I was actually trying to kill was probably only 5 yards out from the blind. With my turkey bow turned all the way down to 50 lbs. I could actually see the white vanes and Lumenok in flight. I witnessed the arrow, perfectly ticketed for the mid-neck, hit a single twig of brush that just so happened to be between myself and the turkey which deflected the arrow off line.

One loud "CRACK" about 30 yards beyond the turkey made my stomach churn. The impact was so hard that it snapped the bullhead off at the threads. (I guess I'll get to see if the Magnus "Lifetime Guarantee" is for real.) The impact also jarred the Lumenok out of the arrow. (I never did find it. So, that's $20 for the nock and broadhead right there. At least the CX Maxima was intact.)

Oh well. I can honestly say this season has been a blessing. I've probably seen more turkey than any previous season. That's pretty impressive given we're only a little over one week in. But, man, it just seems I can't connect. I wish I had been filming this morning. My face had to have gone from pure bliss to utter disgust when I saw that arrow deflect. :lol: :cry:

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:14 PM

I'd check real real close on the nock end of that arrow. In my experience a carbon arrow that "squirts" the nock very very often has developed a small crack at that end. These cracks will develop over time in carbon arrows from just shooting them into targets.

Bummer on the miss.
Posted Image

#3 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:07 PM

I'd check real real close on the nock end of that arrow. In my experience a carbon arrow that "squirts" the nock very very often has developed a small crack at that end. These cracks will develop over time in carbon arrows from just shooting them into targets.

Bummer on the miss.

Definitely the Achilles Heal of the carbon arrow. Thankfully, the CX Bulldog Collar has saved me from such cracks to date. That said, they do not deflect Robinhoods, so I will be going back to my old tried and true Easton CB (3-60) Uni-Bushing and G-Nock for protection of the Maximas.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#4 Hungry Horse

Hungry Horse

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 09:13 PM

Jere: Just remember you are building great memories of past hunts with those misses, and they are "priceless" as you age and sit around campfires with friends. Of course the freezer stays empty ! Better luck next time, at least it was a clean miss and not a wounded lost bird. HH in Pa :boone:

#5 iamyourhuckleberry

iamyourhuckleberry

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 944 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:15 PM

Jer,

How much fun would it be if we killed them every time? You'll get him next time...stay after it!
Posted Image

Lurking in McDonalds near you!

Confidence makes the hunter, PSE makes the bow.

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Well bud, look on the bright side. No fried turkey but the tree will put more fiber in your diet. ;)

#7 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:12 AM

Used to hate it when something really "sucky" would happen and my dad would say, "That builds character." I'd usually shoot him a look of disgust and he'd laugh.

Maybe that's why I turned out to be such a character?

Hang tough buddy - it's all good.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#8 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:09 PM

:)- I want a tender branch off that tree Jer! I'm up there now, and the teeth are pretty well gone. Can't chew a lot of things anymore. :D Patience, Grasshopper! You'll get one. ;)

#9 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

Jere don't feel too bad, I missed a longbeard in Kansas this year at only 12 steps and I was using a shotgun. Needless to say the red dot came off and am back to using the tru glo sights. Oh by the way PA is the third state I have hunted this year and only a jake to show for it.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#10 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:47 PM

hey you'd better becarefull you shot both a branch and a tree....do you have 2 woods tags ?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users