Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 02 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

sci newsletter
Kansas Bans Hog Hunting
Kansas has enacted legislation making it illegal for anyone to ?engage in...assist or profit from the release, killing, wounding or attempted killing or wounding of feral swine for the purpose of sport, pleasure, amusement or production of a trophy.? According to the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks, this legislation was needed to prevent residents from releasing feral swine in new areas in order to have a new hunting opportunity. These releases had a negative impact on the surrounding environment and privately owned land. In the end, the state?s solution was to ban all swine hunting to cut off the incentive to transport and release feral swine into other areas. Sportsmen groups in Kansas are currently assessing their options on how to better manage the population and overturn this ban before the start of next year?s legislative session. SCI will keep you posted on any progress.

Now Ohio has a similar unwritten policy according to some officers of the department for Natural Resources. We supposedly have some feral hogs running in some of our State parks and the State DNR would like see them hunted to extinction from my last conversation this past winter.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#2 FrankSr

FrankSr

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 06:37 AM

But they can't tell you where to look for the wild Hogs here in Ohio. I have asked where to look for these hogs that have no closed season and no limits. All they could tell me was somewhere in southern Ohio and they are escapees from hunt ranches.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

I can see their point to a limited extent. But doesn't it put you back to square 1? The hogs that are already out there will breed like rabbits with absolutely no deterant. To me that seems a worse scenario than the few that might be released. Wouldn't a hefty fine, and possible jail time for anyone releasing a hog into the wild, be a better way of doing things. As it stands, the only winner is the hogs and everything else, from hunters to other game to the enviroment loses! Wheres the sense in that?

#4 RicF

RicF

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:26 AM

Franksr.
I believe you can find those hogs down in southern Ohio by Athens.
Once in athens just ask around they will tell you.
PATIENCE - Kills Turkeys !!

Ric's Hunting Page

Posted Image

#5 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:28 AM

FrankSr I was told by several good sources this year that Tar Hollow State Park in southern Ohio has a very hard to find hord of wild hogs. And in Jackson county there's another bunch but where in Jackson I have got a clue. Both have some rough areas to hike in and plenty to hide in.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users