1 reply to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

Guys, I don't mean to brag...well maybe just a little ;) ...but I just added mine and Jason's latest fans and beards to our turkey wall. A couple in the past didn't make it due to an onery tom cat :lol: . Sitting back looking at them I got to thinking. We are truly blessed to live in an area with such awesome turkey hunting and such big birds. Jason has harvested around 8 or 9 gobblers and not one under 20lbs. His first ever weighed just an ounce shy of 29 lbs and his last was 30 lbs right on the money. He's killed two double bearded Toms. His biggest with a 10 3/4" and a 11 1/2" beard. (bottom center of the pic) Now I'm not quite that lucky but still my record aint too shabby. I've only harvested 4 birds so far. My first bird weighed only 15 lbs but had a 12" beard. My biggest weighed 22 1/2 lbs, if memory serves correct, and had a 10 1/2" beard. On all our turkeys the smallest spur length was 1 1/8" and almost all of them measured 1 1/2". I'd have to go back and look but I think one even measured 1 3/4". Now it's not that we're great hunter's, and luck sure plays a role as well as patience and persistence, it's simply that we have access to such grand birds. Often we do have to change stratagies. Often we end up wet, tired and empty handed. Often we ask ourselves why we got up at such an early hour, walked for miles, only to not even see a bird. But those times when everything falls together makes it all worth while! Nope, I can think of nothing I'd rather be doing than sitting in the Missouri woods on a beautiful Spring morning calling to a mature Tom and anticipating adding his beard and tail to our wall and his breasts to our smoker. Well guys, this is the end result of all that hard, but very enjoyable, work;

Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 12 May 2009 - 12:49 PM.

#2 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 03:23 PM

Ya got some real pretty Paintbrushes hanging there Norm. The closest thing I heard to a Mo. Tom gobbling was Woodhick's snoring when we drove through last Oct.!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users