3 replies to this topic

#1 Ironranger

Ironranger

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

I'd promised to take a guy (Brad) that I went to high school with turkey hunting this spring and last week we did just that. He had a heart attack a few years earlier while fishing in the Boundary Waters in northern MN. It took them so long to get him to hospital that his heart was damaged in the process so he has some trouble getting around. Figured this would be a good thing for me as I'm usually wound up and flying up and down the bluffs!!

I worked until 12:30am Sun morning and then we packed up the truck and headed for SE Minnesota. Figured we could make it for first light which we managed to do. The first morning, heard one gobbler across the valley from us and his hens were the last thing we heard that morning. Headed back to camp and let my hunting partner sleep for a few hours. got him up early afternoon and headed to a different spot I had permission to hunt. The sun came out as we headed over and just as we got out of truck we had two birds gobbling. Things were looking up. We got our gear ready and headed across a plowed field towards a pine laden hillside. Caught a glimpse of gobbler thru the binocs and we worked around the bottom to get in position. I sent Brad creeping up hillside towards him and then when he was ready, I started cutting and yelping like a wildman. That gobbler was sounding off at every call and started making his way down thru the pines. I was wondering why Brad hadn't shot yet as that gobbler sounded close. he moved back and forth on hillside but wouldn't come down. I went silent hoping to coax him in but he moved off up the hill. Brad was pretty excited so we continued on around the hillside. Came to a road that landowner had cut in hillside and stopped to call. Gobble! Right down the hill from us he sounded off. Scrambling to sit down, I called again he gobbled. We weren't in a good spot but had no choice as he was coming. I could hear him spit drumming and then all of the sudden, I caught movement and he was running thru the trees the other way. Must have saw something he didn't like.

Next morning, we got out there at 4:55am and made our way across the field. Before we could make the hillside the birds were already gobbling. Must have been 7 or 8 different birds we could hear. we focused on one and setup below him near edge of field. I set a decoy out and put Brad farther up on hillside. I started calling softly and the gobblers were going nuts. Suddenly, i had a hen in the field that spotted me and was puttin away. Since gobbler wasn't off roost yet, I jumped up and waved my arms to scare her away. She flew off and he continued gobbling. After flying down he moved to our right and started coming down the hillside. I motioned Brad over and we repositioned. The bird was coming hard as he moved down to our right. I layed down flat and Brad got gun ready. Made one more series of yelps and he gobbled again. he was right there. BOOM! The Benelli barked and down went Brad's first bird. That was really a good experience of sharing the turkey hunting passion with a newcomer. I think he's hooked now....

Posted Image

#2 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 12:14 AM

Trust me, I know all about those heart attacks! Well good for you for taking him hunting and good for him for being willing to go and for scoring a nice bird. Kudos to you both! :clap:

#3 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:51 PM

Sweet adventure Tim! Congrats to Brad. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#4 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 07:11 PM

Thank you for sharing your hunt with Brad it will be something he will never forget. Thanks also for sharing the hunt with us.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users