Am I Alone?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 May 2009 - 12:37 PM

For the first time in - I don't even know how long for sure - a long time I turned on Outdoor Channel this afternoon and just left the dial there.

Am I alone in not being able to stand half of what they air anymore? Don't get me wrong, I'd still rather watch hunting than 90% of anything else on TV. But, it just seems to me that most of what the network considers to be its "top shows" are going toward this hip urban redneck theme. (Is there even such a thing??? I thought the two were polar opposites. Oh well.) So, you basically have a guy (or gal) in a John Deere t-shirt with a ripped up hat and pants wearing "bubba teeth" making bad jokes about eating corn on the cob doing the running man through the woods to his (or her) stand where he (or she) is going to, "Lay it down on some freak dilli-dacky-whacky-nasty-diddly-do buck". Okay... :blink:

Best of all is that this really does seem to be taking over the outdoor television industry.
These are definitely some of the most popular personalities in outdoor television. :(
I guess I'm just not cool anymore. Is anyone else here also uncool?

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#2 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Jer

Dont worry its cool to be uncool I am with ya buddy
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#3 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:44 PM

Nope you're not alone Jeremiah. I'm very uncool. I actually try and help other hunters succeed. If you're not selling something folks tend not to believe you. (When did that happen???)

I know it's disgraceful but I don't dance around and hoot and holler when I succeed. Yeah I'm happy but I just can't make myself act that way. Should I feel guilty? I just say a prayer of thanks, God chose to give me success. I humbly realize everything "I" had to do with success was given to me by him anyway. Thanks said, I simply start dragging my gift back to the truck.

When I was in the hospital I watched it a lot. Almost constantly as a matter of fact. Why? Because that's ALL I could do, watch! Now that I can get out and go every now and then I just don't feel the need. When I was only able to watch I decided when I get out of here I'm gonna go do some of this stuff. I actually had done some of it before I got hurt. I'm even more thankful I did that stuff then today! My "one day I'm gonna"s were very very close to being "I'm never gonna now"s.

Yep, I'm uncool. My camo don't match. A lot of it is no-name stuff. My bow is seven years old. My truck is ten. And I still shoot lead.

But you know what? You can be uncool and still be in good company! :)
Posted Image

#4 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

I'm with ya on this one :bigthumb: Maybe I'm wrong but the shows are getting away from showing what tactics were used to harvest an animal and just plain down to earth hunting. It's geared more to gear or more so there sponsors and promoting there product line. Just simply put marketing them selves not how to hunt anymore. Hopefully without stepping on any toes commercialization of the public's game animals is the wave of the future of hunting and outfitters will capitalize and make good money. We are fighting the commercialization here in Montana big time. I know two of the properties that Primos uses to do hunts in Montana and it's a joke. I may have got off topic here but these big time hunting shows I feel have over stepped there boundaries.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

I've said for a long time that wouldn't it be grand to see a hunting show....JUST ABOUT HUNTING. No gimicks, no frills, no plugging sponsers during the hunt, no fancy ranches. Just a person going hunting as if he were you are me. My favorite show to watch is Jim Shockey when he hunts with his dad and father-in-law. Those episodes go so far showing what hunting is realy about. Or realy any show where a child, an elderly person or a disabled person is taken hunting. It's so easy to get wrapped up in all the hype about modern gear, paid hunts, and trophy animals, and sponsers that the true reasons for loving hunting are lost in the jumble.

Edited by Spirithawk, 17 May 2009 - 04:05 PM.

#6 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

I am tired of watching hunter after hunter with a guide shooting monster deer and elk. I have hunted both here in the east and out west and know that a true trophy animal is just not that often encountered. I much more enjoy a hunt that if successful might mean a doe is taken. These shows that never show a miss or a doe taken are just too fake for me. Sorry to say that is more the norm than I prefer. There are a few shows that are long in the lip and short on the hunt. One thing I do say for the Nuge is he will take a doe or a small buck and act as if it is the best trophy he has ever taken.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#7 Leo

Leo

Hunting Resource

• Administrators
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:38 PM

Understand that, if it costs them viewers they'll change. If commercial enterprises don't make money they'll fail. It's that simple.

We do need some of these companies and some of these spokespeople. So be cautious about bashing an entire channels schedule.

Support the ones you like.
Posted Image

#8 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Personally, I have no real problem with people on these shows "paying the bills". (Sponsors)
That's life! A time slot ain't free. Cameras ain't free. Traveling the world to hunt ain't free. (You get the picture.)

Besides, I know for my very limited part "back in the day" that I was proud, for lack of a better word, of the companies we had dealings with at DWP. Some people seem to think a company waves money and/or product at a host and they just go with the highest bidder. That's rarely the case. (First of all, there aren't more than a couple people in the outdoor industry truly popular enough to be able to write their own ticket like that. :lol: )

That said, is it getting to be more skewed toward advertising and less toward the hunt? Yes. I've noticed it too. But, to me, as long as I'm still seeing a hunt unfold (not just a kill or two) then I'm okay with it at this point.
Are shows becoming much less informative? YES! But, I'm not so sure that isn't just because of a natural information saturation. When I think back 10 or even 15 years ago there was a true hunger for general hunting and archery knowledge, for example. I remember renting VHS and also waiting all week to catch ONE hunting show on public access television. (Cabin Country with Bill Saiff III - for those of you "old folks" like me.) Then along came hunting-related web sites. Think back (for those of you who've been around a while) to what it was like to be a member, say, 8 years ago. Everyone had questions. It was almost like gathering around a table and just learning from the more knowledgeable members. Now, everyone and their brother is already a self-proclaimed "expert". We've flooded people with so much information and made it so readily available that it's simply getting harder and harder to not just be re-iterating the same tips and tactics over and over. It's a tight spot to be in for the show hosts, I'm sure. (I know it is every time I sit down to write a tech article and then do a Google search only to find 500 other people have already written basically the same thing. :doh2: )

Oh well. I'd still rather watch even a bad hunting show than American Idol, or whatever it is. :lol:
But, yeah, we have some issues to deal with too.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#9 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

I remember watching some back a few years ago and they gave you tips as to what to do what not to do etc and I have not seen that in a long time its just watching someone have a deer come in, they shoot it and that's it and "words from sponsors" which isn't giving any knowledge just an advertisement I thought it was the purpose of the shows to teach to those that didn't really know about the sport how it was done and what to do its not a learning experience anymore for anyone to watch them its a short movie or film they need to be more educational
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#10 Phil

Phil

Never Logs Off

• Authors
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:15 PM

Ode to the days when the voice of Curt Gowdy would narrate the American Hunter ( I believe) shows and explain the shot angles/ characteristics of the game animal/calibers preferred. I still have some Fred Bear videos that I'll watch. This "Putting the smack down" in your face stuff just isn't my cup of tea. There's still a few of the shows I enjoy watching but I usually turn to something else if its a fenced hunt. Sponsers pay the bills so ya gotta cut em some grace.
Posted Image

#11 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

It's the Outdoor Channel - it's suppose to be about the Outdoors and that sort of stuff right, not some poor attempt at humor trying to self deprecate us as a group (hunters and fisherman) with false teeth and poor use of the American language. Or another guffy attempt is the guys against the gals using a poor slap stick imitation of Laurel and Hardy. There's other shows but they all seem to be involved with the Reatree camo image one way or the other. It's one thing to have a true Professional entertainer go hunting and show him or her enjoying the hunting but a professional hunter try to use the camera to be funny doesn't work for me. Those shows are loosing the point and their followers or fans.

I watch these shows fewer and fewer times now cause they aren't about hunting but some sorted way to show the entertainment in camp. Jeremiah like you referred to and I guess I don't see it as professional entertainment nor entertainment. I turned to the Outdoor Cannel to be entertained by true hunters describing, recreating the hunt and give some tips as help from the hunt. The shows I use to enjoy did that. Unfortunately they are getting to be more about the joking around side of it than the Outdoors and the beauty it holds.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#12 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:25 AM

I turned to the Outdoor Channel to be entertained by true hunters describing, recreating the hunt and give some tips as help from the hunt. The shows I use to enjoy did that. Unfortunately they are getting to be more about the joking around side of it than the Outdoors and the beauty it holds.
[/quote]

this is the point I was getting at
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#13 REDGREEN

REDGREEN

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing,wood carving, waking up with a pulse

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

Yep, I'm as redneck as they come. I hate the high fence hunts, and the plugs every five seconds about " I'm wearing these clothes, and I'm wearing this stink,using this ammo and shooting this whatever it is." I haven't watched a commercial hunting show for years. I think that they stink. I agree that the bills have to be paid, but the theme has gone from hunting, to the type of threads that are on your back and the hardware that you use to get whatever you are after to feed your family. I personally enjoy going out smelling like a herd of goats, wearing whatever I feel like, and having a day in the field away from everything and everybody. I don't dance around and hoot and holler if I am fortunate enough to harvest an animal to feed me. I start thinking about the easiest method to get whatever it is home to the table. With the shows, they start with someone sitting in a blind, a few words, " There it is! BANG!" Then, there is a few more words, a handshake, stop by the lodge and pay your bill, and get in touch with us when you get another inheritance again. IMO, they are now just sponsor plugs.
FISHING ANYONE! :D

#14 Larry $

Larry $

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

Guess I'm not cool either Jeremiah. We cancelled the DirecTV "sports package" which included the outdoor channels last year. Tired of the direction it was going in.

Redgreen was reading my mind :clap:

Edited by Larry $, 18 May 2009 - 06:57 PM.

Elk: it's what's for dinner!

#15 silvertip-co

silvertip-co

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:hunting, fly fishing, long range shooting, hiking, camping, panning gold, reloading

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

Me too I guess. And I keep mine on 15 hours a day when I am home as the two dogs and cat watch it a lot. I set my watch wizard for a few show types ( sheep, goats, Bob Foulkrod, ) and let er rip. I guess as long as I dont have to be in front of the tv when that puke Stan Potts is on I can handle the rest.

On Saturday I FINALLY accepted into the Pueblo West Sportsman's Assn after 4 yrs of impatient waiting. Since it's only 5 miles from my lake house here I anticipate using their many many ranges a lot as the (hot) weather permits. The have it all from 25 yrds to 5 :D :D yrds plus clay bird :boone: and IHMSA 3:) clanger stuff, so it'll be interesting. I can take up to 6 guests, which seems weird to me, but since I dont know 6 people I wont have to worry about that. Funny thing is I hadnt even seen the whole place yet as Dawn got out of her sick bed and went over and paid our dues and sat thru the orientation as I was at a derailment. We've shot there in fall on their "DOW ranges" but I never seen the rest of the place. I may go by there today to scope the place out on the way back from the surgery center(getting my wrists slashed soon).

Have a great summer...

Edited by silvertip-co, 19 May 2009 - 08:21 AM.

SVENSKA50@HOTMAIL.COM

NRA LIFE MEMBER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users