#16 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:46 AM

Well folks, here's my two lincolns,

TOC, Versus, et.al., are about entertainment more than information. There are a few shows out there providing information, but they just don't get the golden moose awards and the ratings. Outdoor television "in the day" wasn't about ratings because they had a small audience and pretty much accepted it.

When I was a kid I'd glue myself to a Bill Dance episode to learn how to catch bass. But even old Bill Dance has a bloopers show that's pretty funny - entertainment.

I watch shows that show me something I can't get in Indiana. I like hunting in other countries, places here in the U.S. I've never been - places I'm not likely to ever go. I like hearing about the different laws, people and cultures in those spots.

Now, don't let me offend anyone, but I'll make a comparison that's a little embarassing. Some shows are about huge - freakishly huge - animals. I liken these to hunter "eye-candy" just like the other "eye candy" sold by those magazines with the brown paper on them at the 24-hour mart, or the "pay channels" on Dish Network. Some sell sights none of us will ever see.

Here's the problem - I'd rather see 12 different hunting shows I didn't particularly care for instead of something from hollyweird just to throw my money and attention in that direction. I do the same for shooting shows, fishing shows, atv riding, etc. I'd rather watch a bad hunting show than a good sitcom any day. It's a compromise, I know, but it's the best we've got.
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#17 Coalman

Coalman

Always Here

• Authors
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Snowshoe hare hunting, ice fishing, turkey hunting, striped bass fishing, deer hunting, trapping.

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:21 AM

Bill Dance, Bill Saiffe, remember them well. To be honest my most favorite hunting show when it first came out was the National Wild Turkey Federation with Rob Keck. It was all about family.

At our home based hunting website in New England we have a saying in our banner for the "entertainment" hunting shows.....

"We hunt, fish and trap the places you will never see on TV. From mountain tops to beaver bogs, from thick woods to farm fields and lakes with four feet of ice."

I am a hunter, trapper and fisherman. I have caused the death of many a critter. But I need to ask this question??

Am I getting old or do you guys feel like me that there is way too much emphasis on the impact shot? I find myself changing the channel as the music stops. I know all to well what the next frames hold.

I have to admit, my killing days are over. Don't get me wrong, I still love my outdoor hunting, fishing and trapping adventures. I have no problem pulling the trigger. But my adventures now are based more on the experience rather than the kill.

I'm on your side of the fence Jeremiah
Your eye in the northeast sky.

#18 mudduck

mudduck

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:Interested in almost everything, unless it bores me, then I'm not interested anymore

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:21 PM

Well Hot Dang!!! I've been saying for years that hunting isn't a spectator sport. I've been saying for years that the T.V. shows make it look "too" easy. Twenty one minutes a week and using this or that gimmick and you got Bullwinkle laying dead on the ground. Every week. If it ain't happening to you, well, you just need to spend more money. Oh, and don't forget, the bigger the buck, the better the hunter, Eights beats sixes, and tens beat eights. It is, after all, a competition. Or, at the very least, its how hunting is promoted on television

#19 7pointbuck

7pointbuck

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting, muzzleloading, riding atvs, fishing, going to church, and my family and friends!

Posted 31 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

i dont have any outdoor shows anymore,tired of watching matthews and tc commercials!(if you own these thats great!)I just got tired of the plugging.what turned me offr totally was they are using sex,to promote hunting and fishing, seeing a girl wearing A CAMO bathing suit top hunting hogs was a little rediculous!

Bill
"My Freezer is a wildlife preserve!!!"

#20 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 07 June 2009 - 04:56 PM

You're not alone, Jeremiah. There are a couple show I can hardly stand to watch (from your first post in this thread, I'm certain these two shows are the same ones you are talking about). I really don't care what "celebrity" you have at your house and what you are making them for supper. There are only two or three shows I never miss. "In-Pursuit with Greg Miller" is definitely my favorite. It's a hunting show that actually explains their setup on a hunt and gives some hunting tips during the show.

I enjoy "bonus footage" during hunting shows (pre- and post-hunt footage, and some footage at camp). However, there really isn't any reason for there to be more than 3 or 4 minutes of that footage in a show.

#21 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:18 PM

Agreed. Just about anything with Greg Miller is good.

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#22 RobertR

RobertR

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 312 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 06:37 PM

I like the fact that in America and we can make our own choices. The fact is sometimes were a little jealous of these hunting celebrities but then most of us can only afford to hunt in real world conditions and our hunting time is limited.
Posted Image
I'M NOT AFRAID OF COMMITMENT I'VE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING MY WHOLE LIFE!
Montana Hunting Discovering Montana

#23 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

Anyone watch that show with Weston and Jodi Clark - higher ground outdoors?

http://www.highergroundoutdoors.com/

I think it's on VS?...

Watched it for the first time this past weekend. The show is apparently this married couple that takes people on hunts that are nominated by friends or family because of their impact in their lives or in the community.

The show I watched, this boy/young man was nominated by his mother because he lost his best friend to cancer. His best friend was his life-long hunting partner. Weston and Jodi took the young man on a hunt in honor of his friend who had passed away.

I thought that was a pretty cool way to do it.

Anyone else watch this show?
"The Lord bless and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you. The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace." Num 6:24-26

#24 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:25 PM

"Higher Ground Outdoors" is a good show too. I really like how they take everyday heros on hunts.

#25 Jeremiah

Jeremiah

Hunting Resource

• Owner/Admin
  • 3,087 posts
  • Interests:God, Family, Hunting, Archery, Outdoors, Computers, Website Development...

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:45 PM

I like the idea of that show (H.G.O.). I like what they're doing. I even like the hosts as people from what I've heard. (Not that I've met them in person.) However, and I don't mean anything personal by it, I've watched it a few times and just find it... for lack of a better term... boring. I think the personalities could stand to show a little more personality. :peace:

I guess for me I'm wanting my host(s) to be somewhere between cardboard cut-out and Big & Rich. LOL

PA IHEA & NBEF/IBEP Instructor

sig_admin.png

#26 Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 04:21 AM

That's funny Jer - nothing like leaving a little open space. LOL.

#27 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

I'm a big Jim Shockey fan. I just like his personality and think he's one of the true greats. Plus, all he's done with a muzzleloader is pretty darn impressive. I love it when his father and father-in-law are on the show too. It's encouraging to see someone at their age still out hunting and having a grand time doing it. I like the shows that keep things to the basics and that both entertain and instruct. After all, isn't that the two reasons we watch hunting shows to begin with? If it don't entertain, we get bored. If it doesn't give some good info now and then then why not watch something else? I loved the old BSOTH shows with Dave because I felt his show did both. I realy miss that.

#28 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 07:34 AM

I must confess I really don't spend much time anymore watching hunting shows for this reason. I think it all sort of spawned from an up and coming younger guy of certain camo company (not that he was the single cause). A lot seem to have a touch of reality TV sensationalism to them (reality TV is really scripted with the field producer directing everyone, as if you didn't know...I know from being on payroll) I must say some of the outdoor magazines are too much for me as well, I can't handle all the smart alec editors which has caused me to limit my subscriptions to a select few.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users