4 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:53 PM

I was browsing around in a local pawn shop today and found a .50 CVA Plains Pistol in a percusion lock. It had obviously been put together from a kit and rather poorly so. However, mostly it was all cosmetic. The stock needed thoroughly sanded to remove some dings and low spots and the area of the grip needed shaped. The brass was as right out of the box with the triggergaurd having a raised seam down the middle of it's length. The good news was it had never been fired, the hammer and trigger work crisply, and they had the box it came in including all the paper work. I bought it for $69 and stripped it completely. I sanded everything and restained it a darker walnut. Waiting for the first coat of True oil to dry now. :D The ramrod was minus a loading jag so I added one and cut the rod shorter to fit back under the barrel. Looks better and is more functional too. Anyways I have a few questions;

1) When you go to CVA's Site there are only rifles listed. No pistols nor pistol kits. How come? Can't find anything on their pistol kits except a few Remington 1858 New Model Army .44's on other sites.

2) I'd be interested in knowing what both the kit and the factory finished Plains Pistol sold for new? Particularly if they still sell them.

3) Have any of you ever owned or fired one? The book says minumum 20 grains up to maximum of 60 of FFF and a .490 ball. I was wondering if I could use the same sabots as I do in my .50 Optima Pro?

Anyways, I'll post pics of it when it's finished. I bought it with the idea of carrying it Muzzleloader Season as a back-up for my Optima Pro.

Edited by Spirithawk, 19 May 2009 - 07:31 PM.

#2 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

When CVA was still in the traditional rifle market, they used to sell a kit called a Plains Rifle. It was a bottom of the line kind of rifle, nothing fancy, 1-48 twist and they sold for around $149.00 at one time. They also has a matching pistol kit. I am guessing you have the kit. I can remember then selling for $129.00 but nothing real particular. These kits even came in flintlock at one time as I remember.

You got a heck of a deal there. I bet that is going to be fun to shoot.
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:30 PM

Thanks bud. I apreciate the info. Here's a pic. I still have to buff it with steel wool and want to add 3 more coats of True Oil but it sure looks a lot better than it did. :D Sorry pics a bit dark. Battery on camera was going dead. Do you think sabots would shoot ok out of it?
Posted Image

Edited by Spirithawk, 19 May 2009 - 09:56 PM.

#4 cayugad

cayugad

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 881 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:52 PM

I used to have a "Jukar" .45 caliber horse pistol a lot like that. They have a fast twist in the barrel but because of the length of the barrel they do not stabalize a lot of things real well. They normally shoot roundball real well, but you never know what they will shot. You can try about anything.

That's a nice looking job your doing on that pistol. Its going to be beautiful.

Posted Image
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, a total wreck with a big smile on your face."

#5 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

Thanks again. I'm getting close to having it done. Finaly getting the finish on the wood the way I want it. I realy like the way True Oil ages on a gun stock. It seems to bring out the grain more and more and is hard as nails. but if you do get a scratch? Just dip your finger in the jar and rub it accross the scratch. Scratch gone. :D Going to keep buffing the brass too. Got the seam down the middle removed. That was a real job in itself. :lol: Particularly on the inside. Will add pics when it's finished. Need to run to town for some Brasso. I use that to put a final finish on the brass. I sit and as I watch tv I just keep buffing it with the Brasso. It's not just a plolish but is a very fine rubbing compound. When done I should have a mirror finish. This will be a shooter though so the mirror finish is just to get the brass as smooth as possible. Cool that you lightened the pic for me. Thanks mucho. :D

By the way, yep the barrel is short....5 1/2". I may just shoot balls through it but just for fun I'll try a sabot. Ya just never know what a muzzleloader will like.

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 May 2009 - 07:58 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users