32 replies to this topic

#1 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:05 AM

All these get togethers gave me an idea. Our Archery Season starts around Sept.15th and runs into the second week of January. We have the Drury-Mincy Wildlife Area just 30 minutes from Branson. You all have heard me talk about it. My best pal Paul has finaly seen it and can vouge for how awesome it is. Over 5,000 acres, free outdoor archery range ( right next to the camping area with backstops, marked yardages and even an elevated platform for shooting from), over 50 large food plots planted in turnips, clover, alfalfa, Bio Logic, ect. and Jason just heard that they are planting several other new food sources as well. Paul can tell you how sweet those food plots are. They blew him away. :D Some have a clover-alfalfa mix and are plumb thick with rich healthy growth. Most food plots have a pond and there are several creeks. It is set up where you can drive right up to many or get out and walk to the others which have roads you can walk in on. There is plenty of forest to get away from roads as well. It's surrounded on 3 sides by Bull Shoals Lake which is famous for Bass and Walleye fishing. The campground is free and can handle around 250 people. You could bow hunt all you like or go fishing as well. The best part is it would only cost you the price of your out of state tag, travel and food. They also provide free maps, of the whole area, which marks all the food plots, roads and trails. The whole area has easy access. You can drive a car to many spots. A few require a truck though, Just for ground clearance. Of an evening you could come into Branson and attend one of the many awesome shows. ( We could get you group rates ) Paul can also tell you how fantastic the shows are too. Anyways, thought I'd through the idea your way. Anyone interested just let me know, if not no biggy. Just thought I'd through out the offer. I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'll post the price of an out of state tag later. Gotta run, late for Heart Rehab.....Norm

Ok, here is the non-resident permit info;

Tag is good for 2 deer and 2 turkey, of either sex, during the archery deer and turkey hunting season, and for small game, except furbearers, during prescribed season. $150.00

Archery deer and turkey seasons Sept. 15-Nov. 13 and Nov. 25-Jan. 15. ( Is closed during Firearms Season)

PS, this is where Jason shot his 30 lb gobbler. Some mighty nice bucks call it home too. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 May 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#2 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:13 PM

As Spirithawk said I can vouch for the Drury/Mincy area. It is truly an awesome hunting location. Although there are some hills none are too hard to hunt. The food plots are like an exhibition plot a seed company would show you. There are a bunch of them too as I recall there has to be close to 20 of these plots both high and low.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#3 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 21 May 2009 - 05:47 PM

As Spirithawk said I can vouch for the Drury/Mincy area. It is truly an awesome hunting location. Although there are some hills none are too hard to hunt. The food plots are like an exhibition plot a seed company would show you. There are a bunch of them too as I recall there has to be close to 20 of these plots both high and low.

There are 25 plots on the Drury side and 25 on the Mincy side. Maybe a few more as they are adding some now. Many of them are quite large too.

Edited by Spirithawk, 21 May 2009 - 05:49 PM.

#4 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 23 May 2009 - 05:15 PM

norm ya got me thinking :) I'm due a trip to west plains to visit my folks.

i'll play with the dates and see what i can come up with.

larry ya up for a road trip?
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#5 irinman2424

irinman2424

Can Charge Rent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

I just started working again so Ill have to see how things go once the training period is done and what I get placed as and how many hours I get and how much I make per hour vacation time is no problem to get a week off (unpaid of course but will see where it takes me)
I believe in fillet and release!

Posted Image

#6 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 11:31 AM

To be honest, I'm not thinking so much of this year, though anyone is sure welcome this year, but more of say next year. That would give everyone time to make plans. I know several are already commited to hunts this year. The dates and tag price would be the same. The camping area is primittive but does have bathrooms. It's right along the black-top so very easy to get to. Again, Paul can tell you, guys pay quite a bit to hunt an area as sweet as this.

#7 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:11 PM

2010 :hmm: :yes: :hmm: :yes: East meets the West getogether maybe.
"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#8 Geoff / TBow

Geoff / TBow

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

Next week I'll likely be submitting my notice to retire after almost 37 years. I figure I can work a road trip into my busy schedule after that. This year, next year, won't make no nevermind to me, 'long as it don't cooincide with archery moose season end of September.......and oh ya, the bride's honey-do-list! :curse:

Geoff / TBow
Every day you`re fortunate enough to wake up breathing, is cause for celebration!

#9 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

That's why I say shoot for next year if you want. Would give everybody time to work it into their schedules. But as I also said, you all are welcome any time. Mincy-Drury is only about 30 minutes from my house and Jason and I hunt over there every chance we get. I saw the biggest 8 Pt. over there that I've ever seen in my life and that includes magazines, videos and tv. His body was Canada sized and his antlers had awesome spread and mass. When you can count a bucks points with the naked eye at 150 yards you know he's big! Looking through my binoculars I almost choked! That's the caliber of deer you'll find there. The turkeys will shock you too! And the nice thing is you can get two deer and two turkeys, both of either sex, on the same tag. Not bad for $150, particularly since a Non-Resident Firearms Turkey tag alone is the same price. Plus the long season makes it easier for folks to work a hunt into their schedules. Have I convinced you all yet? :lol: Can't garauntee everyone a filled tag, that's why they call it hunting, but I can garauntee the chance at some real trophy deer and turkeys that most never have the oportunity at. :D

#10 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 26 May 2009 - 07:00 PM

It might be pretty tough to fit it into my budget for 2009. But, a fall 2010 or January 2011 would certainly be possible. I think it would be a lot of fun. If the hunting is as good as it sounds, even a solo return trip in January after Wisconsin's bow season wraps up would be pretty sweet.

#11 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 11:50 PM

Often, when Jason and I hunt during the week, we seldom see hardly anyone at all. Pretty much have the run of the place to ourselves. To be perfecty honest, we were both amazed when we first discovered Drury-Mincy and it's improved a lot since then. Imagine a food plot of 2 acres in size, thick with red clover and alfalfa. Then imagine not just that one but close to 50! Those that aren't planted like that are rich in growth of turnips, fescue, and Bio Logic. It's all free range and beautiful beyond words. Hunt there once and I'm willing to bet you'll want to make it a regular place to come back too. Name me one place where you can hunt both trophy deer and trophy turkeys, for an aproxamitly 7 full weeks, over super nice food plots, with a great camping spot right next to a very nice free archery range, that has easy access, free maps provided, the rangers even provide help getting a deer out of the more hard to get to places ... and all for $150. Plus, if you care to do some fishing too, you can get an out of state fishing permit for $40 and fish one of the best lakes in the country, Bull Shoals,known for it's Large Mouth, Small Mouth, Walleye, and Crappie.

#12 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 11:01 PM

:hmm:
Posted Image

#13 mzlloader

mzlloader

Hunting Resource

• Moderators
  • 628 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:02 AM

Hmmmm great idea, have to see how thing shake out for 2010 hunting season here in az, if its any thing like this year I may not be able to make it,

R L
Trophy Hunting: Its not about the Size of the Trophy, But the Memories and Experince Of the Hunt That count, SCOUTS OUT,

www.arizonaoutfitter.com

#14 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 31 May 2009 - 09:15 AM

... and all for $150.

I'm guessing that is the cost of a non-resident archery license in Missouri?

If so, this sounds like a great idea! $150.00 would be very, very reasonable for an out-of-state hunt. This would be a definite possibility for me in 2010.

#15 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 10:31 PM

I'm guessing that is the cost of a non-resident archery license in Missouri?

If so, this sounds like a great idea! $150.00 would be very, very reasonable for an out-of-state hunt. This would be a definite possibility for me in 2010.

Yep, that's the complete cost for a nonresident archery tag. Not a bad deal consideiring the length of the season and the oportunity for 2 deer and 2 turkeys of either sex. Combine that with a very nice free campground, complete with bathrooms and with a pretty nice archery range right along side where you camp, and the deal just gets sweeter. Not to mention the truly awesome food plots. Then too, if you like to fish, for just $40 more you can go for Largemouth and Smallmouth Bass, Crappie, Walleye, Stripers, Perch, and Catfish. The lake is right there. And if you want, of an evening, Branson is just about 30 minutes away and you can come into town and take in one of the many fantastic shows. Want to add that all types of tree stands are allowed. You just need to tag them with your name and you can't use screw in steps. I'll try to post a map of the area if I can. Also, if you get a deer in an area that is realy hard to get it out of, a ranger will usualy help you get it out. The terrain is realy diverse. From open old growth hardwoods to dense cedar thickets and lots of meadows and glades. Lots of ponds and three creeks, plus the lake surounds three sides of the wildlife area. It is layed out such that anyone who uses their brain should not fear getting lost. Just walk a straight line in any direction and you'll come to a road or marked food plot. A compass is all I carry, though occasionaly a GPS. Feel free to ask questions. If I didn't think you all would realy enjoy it I'd never have made the offer. It's the perfect place for a get together with some truly fine hunting. :D One more thing, I know many of you are not getting any younger, and some have health issues. With all my health problems I have yet to find a spot that I could not walk to get to. Roads and trails get you most of the way and many realy good spots are right off the road. Basicaly, you can drive to many food plots, but eventualy on each road you'll come to a gate and a parking area. The roads continue on but it's foot traffic, or mountain bike past that point. Every single one of the over fifty food plots have a road that goes right to them so it's a very friendly place for folks that don't get around so easy. Oh, and Jason and I have hunted there for around 5 years. We can point you to the best food plots and areas for deer or turkey though the whole area is pretty good.

Edited by Spirithawk, 02 June 2009 - 10:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users