#16 Rowdy Yates

Rowdy Yates

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 08:36 AM

$150 - that's no deal breaker here. :hmm:

I don't own a tent anymore - those days have gone by the wayside when my family was young. :wacko:

If I could beg a roof and A spot from one of you all to throw my sleeping bag and stuff then the rest is scheduling time away from work and home. I'll warn you up front - my wife says I snore but it does wake me up. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to share driving out I'll be happy to pitch in if our schedules work out. :peace: It is a 10 hour drive from Columbus to Branson. It is about 12 hours drive time from Denver, Co to Branson so it's close to halfway for some of us.

Edited by Rowdy Yates, 03 June 2009 - 09:04 AM.

"Keep the sun forever at your back, the wind forever in your face, and may forever God bless you out there on the trail."

#17 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:34 AM

$150 - that's no deal breaker here. :hmm:

I don't own a tent anymore - those days have gone by the wayside when my family was young. :wacko:

If I could beg a roof and A spot from one of you all to throw my sleeping bag and stuff then the rest is scheduling time away from work and home. I'll warn you up front - my wife says I snore but it does wake me up. :rolleyes:

If someone wants to share driving out I'll be happy to pitch in if our schedules work out. :peace: It is a 10 hour drive from Columbus to Branson. It is about 12 hours drive time from Denver, Co to Branson so it's close to halfway for some of us.

No problem bud. if you can get here, I'll see to it that you have a roof over your head. :D

#18 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, racing and sports.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

This sounds almost too good to be true. :D

Not sure if my vacation time would allow it this fall. If this gets planned for the fall of 2010, definitely count me in. Starting July 2010, I will be getting 1 day of vacation time each month, so I would have plenty for later that fall. If the area is as good as it sounds, this would be a hunt I'd do in January also. The Wisconsin late archery season wraps up the first week, so a trip to Missouri would be great to try to get another doe or even a buck for the freezer.

If not, I'd like some more information on that area. Sounds like it would be a great out-of-state whitetail hunt. Especially the price.

Oh yeah, are there any hotels/motels near by? Just thinking about a January hunt, might be a bit chilly to sleep in a tent. ;)

Edited by Chrud, 03 June 2009 - 03:17 PM.

#19 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

Here's a couple URL's to look at along with a map of the Drury-Mincy Conservation Area.

Drury-Mincy Conservation Area
The Drury-Mincy Conservation Area is a 5,699-acre wildlife area that was the conservation department's first deer refuge. Visitors can camp, hike, bird watch and fish in the rushing stream. The Drury-Mincy area is one of 3 that support flocks of native wild turkeys. Bluestem glades and post oak savannas dominated the rolling hills. Mincy, Fox, and Bee creeks meander through stands of wild cane on their way to Bull Shoals Lake. Purple beardtongue, fringetree, and Ashe juniper are among the unusual plants found on the area. Driving Directions: Go 5 miles east of Branson on Highway 76, then 6 miles south on Route J, and 3/4 mile on County Road J40. For more information click here for Drury-Mincy Conservation Area Website.

(Though it says there are no shooting ranges it means no firearms ranges. The ATF made them close their firearms range, which greatly upset the Ranger in charge of the area.)

http://bransondailyn...hp?storyID=8012

http://mdc4.mdc.mo.g...oveMap=notfound

Posted Image

Sorry I couldn't get the map to post bigger, but the dark green ovals are food plots and most have a small pond along side them. The dotted lines are trails, the dashed lines paved or gravel roads. The lake is Bull Shoals. In the small map, left corner, the grey area in it's upper left corner is Branson - Hollister aprox. 11 3/4 miles between town and the Conservation Area. You can drive it in 15 minutes The differance in the 4,089 acres listed on the map, and the 5,699 listed on their site is because it's an older map. They've added some land. There are up to date maps supplied free at several points where the areas rules are listed on signs.

Branson has a wide variety of hotels ranging from the inexspensive, like motels @ 2 for $30 a night, up to the Hilton. Then too, if it's only a couple of you needing a warm bed and a roof over your head for a late season hunt, then no prob. I have a spare bedroom and it's only about a 30 minute drive to Mincy-Drury. :D

Edited by Spirithawk, 03 June 2009 - 08:12 PM.

#20 McBruce

McBruce

Marketing

• Managers
  • 2,155 posts
  • Interests:shooting/ rifle/blackpowder/handguns/archery/ shotguns. atving, photography ( scenic and wildlife ) Being out in the Mtns of Colorado any chance I can get.

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:16 PM

Rowdy: If I can put it all together, I'd pull my pop up camper over. Would have room for a couple of guys in there.

Norm, thanks for the leg work...sounds like it could be fun.
McBruce
Live what you believe
Believe what you live

#21 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:32 PM

No problem bud. I just got to thinking that it would be a prime oportunity for all of us a realy nice get together, with great hunting and beautiful scenery, at a price about anyone could afford. During the managed muzzleloader hunt the camping area handles 250 people so there's plenty of room and it's a park like setting. Just step accross the gravel road and your standing in the archery range. I know I've said it many times, how nice these food plots are, but your eyes will really pop out of your head when you see them. I think my buddy Paul thought he'd died and gone to heaven! :lol: Many were close to knee high in alfalfa and clover and I don't honestly believe they could have been any nicer if the seed companies planted them for advertisement! :D

Just thought, we need a name for it. :hmm: How about the 2,010 MO. OZARK STICK & STRING RENDEZVOUS? I'll even make up free decals for those who attend. In fact, I'll design one tomorrow. :)

Edited by Spirithawk, 03 June 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#22 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:41 PM

Yea-ouch, looks like they bumped it up to $225. Still not to bad of a deal though.
Posted Image

#23 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:35 AM

Yea-ouch, looks like they bumped it up to $225. Still not to bad of a deal though.

Dang they have been getting greedy lately. They are whining that they are short on funds yet just across the state line in Arkansas you pay a mere $25 for your hunting tag that covers firearms and archery, Deer, Turkey, Bear, and small game. And Arkansas is doing just fine while Missouri charges for each individual season and is not getting enough money? :(

#24 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

Ain't but a thing. :peace:

$225 is very reasonable for an out-of-state whitetail hunt.

#25 Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Always Here

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

I may try and get out this Sept... to do some scouting. ;)
Posted Image

#26 Spirithawk

Spirithawk

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

You all are always welcome. Drury-Mincy Wildlife Area is an easy place to hunt if you have any woodsmanship at all. All you need is a compass to keep from getting lost. Just take a fix on one of the many roads and then walk back that direction and you'll run into it. There's really no such thing as a bad spot to hunt there. :)

#27 Norm Sauceman

Norm Sauceman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, family, hunting and family

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:18 AM

Would just love to get to hunt again, anywhere.

#28 PA RIDGE RUNNER

PA RIDGE RUNNER

Life Member

• Authors
  • 5,702 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

Hey Welcome back Norm S. I have been praying for you man. How are you doing.
If God had a refrigerator would your picture be on it.
Remember the Ark was built by amateurs, the titanic by professionals.

#29 Chrud

Chrud

Can Charge Rent

• Authors
  • 514 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:16 AM

Hey Welcome back Norm S. I have been praying for you man. How are you doing.

Ditto!

Good to see you here again, Norm.

#30 paturbo

paturbo

Totally Addicted

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

Now that could be a doable hunt for me next year. I should be all healed up and ready to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users